TR2014 Retro-spective

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: TR2014 Retro-spective

Post by alienjesus »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I think Force is the most broken class in PSO. Sure, the Spread Needle is really powerful, but at higher levels a Force can deal insane damage, apply Freeze very consistently, and never run out of Tp... and none of that requires a weapon! They can support with Shifta, Deband, Resta, and Anti on top of that.

Im sure that's true, but at lower levels you're constantly skint from buying magic and mp restoring items (plus warppipes to go buy more mid-mission!), you burn through 10-30 mp healing items every stage, your physical attacks deal like 1 damage per hit and your spells are slower and shorter range than the rangers guns, for roughly equivalent damage.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Oh yes, in the early levels Force is the weakest class for sure. I always looked at classes in PSO like this:

Hunter - Strong early game, average mid game, weak late game

Ranger - Decent to good throughout the game, slowly getting better, pretty weapon-dependent

Force - Weak early game, Teck-dependent mid game, very strong end game.

Its tough to pick who is just straight up best between Ranger and Force. If a Ranger gets bad drops (No Varista in the mid game) and a Force has good tech drops, Force will outclass. Then again, if a Ranger gets a good wep and raises a strong mag, and the force doesn't get good techs, the Ranger will perform better.

End game is just easiest to judge, because you have access to so much. Aside a Ranger walking around with Heaven Punisher or something, though, I think Force generally tends to out perform, as at that point it just relies on so little, and can do so much. More damage than Hunter, just as good status adding as Ranger, and better support than either could dream of offering.
Ack

Post by Ack »

dsheinem wrote:worst TR year ever

You're just mad we didn't play only the games you wanted to play. Next year you'll declare it to be the best because so many choices of yours got selected.

Have fun playing Sonic, bitches.

noiseredux wrote:I'm sure a lot of you think that makes me a terrible person.

I already thought you were a terrible person.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Ack wrote:

You're just mad we didn't play only the games you wanted to play. Next year you'll declare it to be the best because so many choices of yours got selected.

6 picks = best TR year ever
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ack wrote:

You're just mad we didn't play only the games you wanted to play.

:lol:

ok, per noise's request here are my thoughts:

Jan - Phantasy Star Online
played a bit online with some RB peeps. 'twas ok, nothing great.

Feb - Metal Gear
didn't play, I prefer my Zelda 2D and my Snake 3D

Mar - M.U.L.E.
no interest, didn't play.

Apr - Shock Troopers
credit fed. 'twas ok, nothing great.

May - The Lost Vikings
i've played this before, didn't care for it then. skipped it.

Jun - Psychonauts
no interest, didn't play.

Jul - Ikaruga
best pick of the year, easily. not one of my fave shmups, but one that's enjoyable to go back to. I'd echo noise in saying that it is superior to RS.

Aug - Dungeons and Dragons ToD and SoM
i don't care for these games but credit fed them through. meh.

Sep - F-Zero Series
Fired up the gamecube game a few times. wasn't in the mood to race, largely skipped it. Wipeout series is vastly superior anyway.

Oct - I Have No Mouth & Typing of the Dead
both are pretty good, though i lost patience with IHNM 'cause the genre isn't my thing. second best month.

Nov - Ultima IV
skipped it, too many other things to play.

Dec - Space Harrier
I'll play the 32x port later this month
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Next year looks solid but my participation hinges on whether or not I buy several of the games listed. We'll see what happens.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Next year looks solid but my participation hinges on whether or not I buy several of the games listed. We'll see what happens.

which ones do you need to buy?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Off the top of my head - Quake and Mortal Kombat. Gonna go for the N64 versions because, as you know, it's a fantastic console.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Off the top of my head - Quake and Mortal Kombat. Gonna go for the N64 versions because, as you know, it's a fantastic console.

I love the N64 but this is a bad move. :lol:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Off the top of my head - Quake and Mortal Kombat. Gonna go for the N64 versions because, as you know, it's a fantastic console.

ugh.

The Quake series really is best with a PC if you have the option. And since we're doing the series instead of just the first game, any of the Quake games (esp 1, 2, and 3) are viable options. I'd like to see us do some QuakeLive matches online a fair amount that month...