A Journey Though The Best of Classic Gaming

Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

fastbilly1 wrote:But if you skip 80-85 you miss out on great games like Kings/Space Quest, Zork, Rogue, Mule, Knight Lore (heck the entire Sabreman series), and Oregon Trail. Heck I even did leg work for you today for those years...ok so I use that as an excuse in that I was bored and wanted to write something mindlessly.

I wouldn't skip it completely, but I wouldn't spend TOO much time there...
marurun

Post by marurun »

Wow, branching out into PC games would open a HUGE can of worms. There might be some worthy arcade titles from that period, though.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Not terribly so - I mean if you hit only a few, ie:
1980:
Akalabeth – Apple IIe
Pacman – Arcade
King and Balloon – Arcade
Rally-X – Arcade
Rogue – PC
Game and Watch
Berzerk – Arcade
Missile Command – Arcade
Battlezone – Arcade
Defender – Arcade
Centipede – Arcade
Warlords – Arcade
Tempest - Arcade
Zork – PC
The Prisoner – Apple ][

You may also be thinking that this list looks familiar. Well I looked at Wikipedia, cross checked it with sites and my own memory and really it came down to that. I mean sure there are a few more that could be added in, but those make for some of the best and most impressive games of the year. And before you get on me about The Prisoner being on there, play the game first - complete mind screw.
floatingyeti
8-bit

Post by floatingyeti »

i think narrowing the scope to only console titles would make this project much easier to plan. sure pc titles are important and very relevant to the history of gaming but given a choice of pc vs. console, wouldn't the vast majority of us choose console games.

arcade games would be easily covered since most worth playing have console ports.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

floatingyeti wrote:i think narrowing the scope to only console titles would make this project much easier to plan. sure pc titles are important and very relevant to the history of gaming but given a choice of pc vs. console, wouldn't the vast majority of us choose console games.

arcade games would be easily covered since most worth playing have console ports.

I agree for the most part.
We've always been pretty console-focused here.
But having a few important PC games here or there might not be bad. I just wouldn't put much of an emphasis on them.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sounds like a great set of ideas so far. Let's start hashing things out and find some agreement so we can get this rolling.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:Sounds like a great set of ideas so far. Let's start hashing things out and find some agreement so we can get this rolling.

I've been trying to piece together an "official" introductory blog post to get everybody excited about it.

How about Marurun and Fastbilly1 take the lead on organizing together for now and I'll moderate.

Lemme ask this first: what should our very first game be?
Is Pong to cliche?
Shvalt
8-bit

Post by Shvalt »

I wouldn't say it would be too cliche, but if it's going to be a game each week I don't think Pong would be a great choice.

Maybe with all the very early games (Pong, Space Invaders, Asteroids Etc...), it should be a shorter time, like two days or something. Then as the games get more complex I think it should get longer.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

So start in the early to mid 80s, every major game released on consoles with a few arcade and pc games thrown in? Ill shoot a list to yall of my choices tonight.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Well, I'm not saying you have to play it every day of that week.
I want to do a blog post for each entry, and I don't want to have to do something every other day.
Not to mention if we fly through them, discussion will die quickly.