Together Retro: Ultima IV

Join in on our classic gaming club!
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Ultima IV

Post by nightrnr »

This is for TSTR, anyone disappointed in the graphics, and cool FYI for everyone else.
I didn't see anyone mention the Ultima upgrades for this.

The standard upgrade effectively boosts the graphics to something more pleasant and even adds music:
http://www.moongates.com/u4/upgrade/Upgrade.htm

:arrow: But I prefer and recommend the XU4 - Ultima IV Recreated; :)
http://xu4.sourceforge.net/download.php
This one lets you choose between a selection of graphic styles, including FM towns version and Hi-res VGA. I like to use the "new" setting in the "game graphics options" from the configure menu.
It seriously improves the presentation and feel of the game. Reminds me of the Spiderweb software's Exile series (if anyone knows what those games are).

--EDIT--(Don't use this one I linked before as it lacks features:
find it on (the bottom of) the following link:
http://reconstruction.voyd.net/index.ph ... rd=remakes
)
Last edited by nightrnr on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...just another lost soul...
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Whoa, good looking out! Will def look into those upgrades.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ultima 2 in CGA is the only way to play.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

MrPopo wrote:Ultima 2 in CGA is the only way to play.

Only if you want to hear your eyes scream. Also, I'm sure it causes color blindness :wink: .

Seriously though, I don't know how PC gamers did it back then; turquoise and purple are a pretty harsh contrast of colors.
(although, I am somewhat amused that you can play Eye of the Beholder that way).

Ultima II in EGA is a merciful upgrade. Especially since the original Apple II version had more pleasant color than the Dos version.
...just another lost soul...
Ack

Post by Ack »

nightrnr wrote:Reminds me of the Spiderweb software's Exile series (if anyone knows what those games are).

I know what those are and have played them, and if that's the case, that is awesome.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

nightrnr wrote:Seriously though, I don't know how PC gamers did it back then; turquoise and purple are a pretty harsh contrast of colors.

Hours upon hours of Sopwith gave much love for the CGA.

One morning when I was but a young'un, with only a monochrome monitor to enjoy, I got up for breakfast and to get ready for school. I had no idea what was really in store -- my mum had found a CGA monitor from somewhere, and it was sitting on the kitchen table on my placemat. Such a treat. Breakfast was forgotten and school couldn't go by fast enough...I spent *days* playing Sopwith in glorious colour. You have no idea what an -upgrade- it was back then. Sure, it's hard to look at now, but back then...back then we were like kings with our four colours.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

my C64 was hooked up to a black and white monitor as well. Crazy.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

lol y'all are old
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

anyway, some of these mods might be helpful. Though I must say that Nov feels like a bad time for an RPG for me. Nov/Dec I always find myself in this panic to try to get thru those remaining games that came out this year that I had wanted to play. This year's list is still pretty hefty. But I certainly intend to put aside some time for Ultima IV as I'd at least like to get a solid impression of it.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I just started the Sega Master System version. I became a Mage (Honesty!) and, since I wasn't sure what to do, decided to wander in search of Lord British's castle (since in the earlier games, that always serves as a go-to base of operations)... but was promptly killed by poison from stepping on poisonous marshland. Only to get resurrected right in front of him! That made things easy! I managed to find Iolo the Bard and got him to join my party. I assume I'll want some other folks in the party before I can really get going.

The Ultima series occupies a special place for me. I got the Ultima Collection with Akalabeth and Ultima I - VIII when I think I was around 14 and just starting to get serious about video games. I had a hard time getting them all to run and honestly mostly just wandered around without much purpose (especially Ultima VII!). I used a walkthrough to beat Akalabeth, Ultima I and Ultima II but stopped with Ultima III because the CGA graphics were really wearing on me by that point (I only beat the NES version earlier this year!). But I loved the included interviews with Lord British and I could really tell that these games were special. I love the feelies that were originally included with the games, even if I don't really have most of them. I think it's really great how the games aimed to actually serve as an exploration of philosophical concepts rather than just having the story be "kill the bad guy and save the day." I know Ultima IV is where that direction really started to take off, so I'm glad to finally be playing in earnest!

I bought the Sega Master System version of this game over seven years ago but for a variety of reasons now is the first time I'm *seriously* giving it a go! It's the European version, I'm not even 100% sure there was an American version. It's missing the map and History of Britannia and Book of Mystic Wisdom, but does include the instruction manual at least. I'm reading those off the files included in the Ultima Collection CD and am hoping there are no differences. I like that the SMS port is largely identical to the original but with better graphics and the music that was so rarely heard even for folks playing the Apple II version!

Anyways, I'm excited to keep playing this game! I might end up relying on a walkthrough but first I want to at least get my bearings!