Together Retro: Ultima IV

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ghudda
128-bit

Re: Together Retro: Ultima IV

Post by Ghudda »

TSTR wrote:I booted up the GOG version and immediately my eyeballs were like NOPE. Might mess with the NES version.

yeah, I had to go through every key on my keyboard to figure out how to select new game. I think it was U or something. Easy installation, though I havnt feasted my eyes on such graphics in quiet some time. They'll need to become attuned.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

I have this weird, flexible line where some stuff is just too old for me to get into. This falls on the wrong side of that line, at least in PC form.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

NES version looks 100 times better. The PC original still owns though.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:NES version looks 100 times better. The PC original still owns though.

The NES one looks like a JRPG on the surface, which is infinitely more palatable to my undeveloped tastes.
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

Any word on the rare, elusive, Master System port of the game? Is it well regarded?
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I got the version from GOG, but is the NES version just easier to navigate and control? I got that reference card for the PC version here but besides its use of Ye Olde English it uses almost every letter key for commands.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ghudda wrote:Any word on the rare, elusive, Master System port of the game? Is it well regarded?

It's good. It's a pretty damn close port of the original, even down to the box art. The NES version has been JRPG-ified.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Bone brought me here! He was creepin' around my Backloggery, that creeper creep. :lol:

I purchased the Apple IIe version of this a few years ago for two reasons:

1) I loved Ultima: Exodus (even though I never got anywhere near completing it) and
2) I wanted to test a clone of the Apple IIe sound card (Mockingboard) with something awesome.

It sounds amazing, by the way.

I am really hoping to join you folks this time, as I've been meaning to play this ever since... but the thing came with piles of documentation to read through, and as someone who can't start a game without reading the manual(s) cover-to-cover, I'm afraid I will be scared off by the time commitment inherent here before I even start.

In other words... inspire me! Inspire me to join you!!

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ghudda wrote:
TSTR wrote:I booted up the GOG version and immediately my eyeballs were like NOPE. Might mess with the NES version.

yeah, I had to go through every key on my keyboard to figure out how to select new game. I think it was U or something. Easy installation, though I havnt feasted my eyes on such graphics in quiet some time. They'll need to become attuned.

do yourself a favor and print out the cheat sheet from GOG bonus content that tells you all the keys.
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

noiseredux wrote:do yourself a favor and print out the cheat sheet from GOG bonus content that tells you all the keys.

I'm sure i'll probably do just that. It's unfortunate that I missed out on the age of included knick knacks that older PC games came loaded with. I remember having the letter that came with star tropics that was written in invisible ink and thinking that was awesome, but never had that much more vibrant experience with PC games. Really makes finding big box PC games enjoyable to find in the wild these days. It's great when select game series still come with a printed map. (insert frustration towards the lack of manuals in modern day games here)
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3