Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: I Have No Mouth... & The Typing of the D

by noiseredux Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:21 pm

2nd chapter done. It was actually a lot less confusing than the first, and I thought the story was even better.

EDIT:

make that 3 down.

EDIT:

just one left!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:08 pm

Whoa, slow down! I just completed one of them last night. Had experience similar to TSTR too.

Wandered out into the desert never to be seen again

This will probably be fast, but for the time period everything seems to be there so far. Enjoyable. It's just hard to not have a pointer, instead a crosshair to identify everything and lots of tiny objects you have to be directly on top of to do anything with.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:22 am

I only have a 386 can I play this game?

In all seriousness I'll probably play through it. $6 and 5 hours long sounds right about what I need right now to justify buying and completing a game.

To be perfectly honest I'll probably end up emulating The Typing of the Dead. I have a Dreamcast sitting in the closet but I don't really want to buy a keyboard for it.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:18 am

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:In all seriousness I'll probably play through it. $6 and 5 hours long sounds right about what I need right now to justify buying and completing a game.

I've got 7 hrs on it now and it's not beaten yet.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:03 am

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I only have a 386 can I play this game?

In all seriousness I'll probably play through it. $6 and 5 hours long sounds right about what I need right now to justify buying and completing a game.

To be perfectly honest I'll probably end up emulating The Typing of the Dead. I have a Dreamcast sitting in the closet but I don't really want to buy a keyboard for it.

From a few pages back. Bundle is still up and they are steam keys. $6 for 10 games including I Must Scream.

Fragems wrote:For those who haven't picked up I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream it's currently in a pretty decent bundle over at bundlestars.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/ ... ve-bundle/

$5.99 for steam copies of
System Shock 2
Bad Mojo Redux
Wizadry 6,7, and 8
Harvester
7th Guest & 11 Hour
I have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
and Shadow Man
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:34 pm

beat IHNM... twice really. I finished it on my own with a bad ending, went back with a FAQ and redid the final chapter to see the good ending. My thoughts on the game are split. Mostly, they are glowingly positive. It's a truly dark story. Cool writing. Cool themes. But some of it - and especially the last chapter - are just impossible w/o a walkthrough or just reloading multiple saves for trial and error. I think the game is great, but not perfect. There's far too much chance of shooting yourself in the foot, and it's not really clear that you're fucked unless you look at a FAQ. So my best advice is save often, make new saves everytime so you can have options to go back to, and don't be ashamed to seek outside help. But do play this game, it's worth experiencing.

I'd like to also add that while the final chapter is infuriatingly impossible to make sense of on your own, oddly I found the "bad ending" to be far more fitting for the story. And maybe that's the point?
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 pm

I still have not played IHNM firther, and I may resort to a guide. However, I did manage to dick around in the .ini and get hq2x working. 8)
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:57 pm

noiseredux wrote:I'd like to also add that while the final chapter is infuriatingly impossible to make sense of on your own, oddly I found the "bad ending" to be far more fitting for the story. And maybe that's the point?

Considering the source material, probably. But yeah, that's one of the big problems with adventure games; the fact that you don't think exactly the way the dev does.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:08 am

MrPopo wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I'd like to also add that while the final chapter is infuriatingly impossible to make sense of on your own, oddly I found the "bad ending" to be far more fitting for the story. And maybe that's the point?

Considering the source material, probably. But yeah, that's one of the big problems with adventure games; the fact that you don't think exactly the way the dev does.

yeah, and I can appreciate that. Don't get me wrong, I love adventure games. But many of them have that flaw where you can F yourself over and yet the game doesn't make it clear that you have. So you think there's some solution that you just haven't figured out yet, but nope. You're just painted into a corner. That's something I don't care for - not just in this game - but in the genre itself. And I feel like games like Maniac Mansion or Monkey Island did a really good job of making it damn difficult to put yourself in a no-win situation, so it can be done well. At any rate, like I said, it's really only that last chapter that makes no real sense (to me anyway). I think if you're patient you could play all the way through and get the bad ending on your own. And the bad ending is good. But I'd still not fault anyone for consulting a walkthrough. And I'm not embarrassed to admit that I did on more than one occasion.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:47 pm

fired up Typing Of The Dead. Same as ever. Coast to the last level then beef it. Might have to run through on easy mode... assuming there's an easy mode?
Return to Together Retro