Together Retro: I Have No Mouth... & The Typing of the Dead

Join in on our classic gaming club!
MrPopo

Re: Together Retro: I Have No Mouth... & The Typing of the D

Post by MrPopo »

Fragems wrote:For those who haven't picked up I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream it's currently in a pretty decent bundle over at bundlestars.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/ ... ve-bundle/

$5.99 for steam copies of
System Shock 2
Bad Mojo Redux
Wizadry 6,7, and 8
Harvester
7th Guest & 11 Hour
I have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
and Shadow Man

Pretty decent? SS2 alone is nice at that price. Then add in the final Wizardry trilogy and you've more than paid for the bundle.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Just booted up The Typing of the Dead (the keyboard works! Yay!).

I went through a few drills to get a feel for what I was doing and, you know, I've always typed a lot better than the vast majority of the people around me, but according to this game, I suuuuuck. I will never get an A rank on most of those, even with the added benefit of not having to press the shift key to capitalize. Apparently the only thing I'm good at is the third speed test. I'm not even going to try the 'Perfection' drill again. That will never happen :lol:

Fun stuff, though. I'll try one of the game modes later.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ExedExes wrote:The GOG version of IHNM has some awesome extras. I looked through the Making Of document and for a small company back in the day to get Ellison who doesn't even like video games to be the designer, redo some of the story elements AND be the voice of the evil supercomputer was a huge feat. Also, the composer went on to do tons of movies years later for directors like Bryan Singer.

Plus, you get the original IHNM short story in PDF form. Can't beat that.

So apparently the Steam version has these extras as well. If you bought it from Steam, check out the "Bonus Content" folder in the game's folder. It has the PDF of the book, a making of and the soundtrack. There's also a PDF of the manual in the main game folder as well.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
ExedExes wrote:The GOG version of IHNM has some awesome extras. I looked through the Making Of document and for a small company back in the day to get Ellison who doesn't even like video games to be the designer, redo some of the story elements AND be the voice of the evil supercomputer was a huge feat. Also, the composer went on to do tons of movies years later for directors like Bryan Singer.

Plus, you get the original IHNM short story in PDF form. Can't beat that.

So apparently the Steam version has these extras as well. If you bought it from Steam, check out the "Bonus Content" folder in the game's folder. It has the PDF of the book, a making of and the soundtrack. There's also a PDF of the manual in the main game folder as well.

Sweet!

So should I play the game or read the story first?
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

I haven't read the story, but I would go game first so as not to color your experience.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I bought the Typing of the Dead at my local Salv Army. Does anyone know if this will run on a modern~ish PC? I run win7.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I got it to run in Vista a looong time ago.
Try various compatibility modes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so IHNMAIMS is pretty amazing I think. I also think I suck at it, cuz I'm 3 hrs in and still on the first character. But man, some dark shit. Really cool game... the sort of game that makes me love TR - when a game I only had passing interest in is revealed to me as something I'd enjoy so much.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1 down. 4 to go.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Put some time into IHNM tonight with Gorrister. So far I:
Drank poison and crashed the airship.

Having fun screwing up though. All part of the game's sadistic charm.