Together Retro: I Have No Mouth... & The Typing of the Dead

Join in on our classic gaming club!
MrPopo

Re: Together Retro: I Have No Mouth... & The Typing of the D

Post by MrPopo »

I'll definitely have to do all three of these.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'm mostly excited about The Typing of the Dead. I bought it (and keyboard) at the end of the Dreamcast's life when that sort of thing was on clearance. MAYBE WITH MY ADULT TYPING ABILITY I WILL ACTUALLY BEAT IT THIS MONTH.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is pretty interesting but I've already played through it. But I'll probably reinstall it and try to play around for some bad endings or hidden junk. I'm assuming there are bad endings/hidden junk; I remember at the end there being what I thought were some obvious WRONG CHOICE-things.
If anyone hasn't read the story it's based on, I'd recommend getting to your public library and finding a copy. Request it from another library if you have to. It's really great. As mature as the game is, the book is just MORE SO. It's some brilliantly caustic stuff. I'll have to re-read it for this month just for fun.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

TYPING OF THE DEAD UPDATE: Wait... was I unaware that I could increase my lives/continues in the option screen? THAT WAS THE BOOST I NEEDED to clear arcade mode! Next up I guess I'll try Original Mode and see if there are fun passwords worth playing around with?

Also I'll share my experience with the last time I played this game: it was 2008 and I was getting ready for an Clerical I civil service exam, which has a typing component. I wasn't super-confident in my ability to type fast, so I used this game to drill me. Sadly though, the game said my typing speed was something like 15 words per minute. On the day of the test, I was sure I was going to fail that part (which wasn't a big deal since it would only disqualify me from typist positions). I was actually going to leave as it was given but the instructor encouraged me to give it a chance. My actual words per minute was closer to 70. IT SHOWED THAT THIS GAME IS NOT A GOOD REFLECTION OF ACTUAL TYPING ABILITY. Also I hate I have to awkwardly set up a keyboard in front of my couch and nothing is the height I'm used to.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Played the first level of TotD Overkill on BITCHMODE. This game is hella fun and stupid in equally awesome amounts.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Nemoide wrote:IT SHOWED THAT THIS GAME IS NOT A GOOD REFLECTION OF ACTUAL TYPING ABILITY.

I'm not sure if the WPM is accurate or not, because everything else that is scored in that game is based off "Sega Typing Proficiency".

The GOG version of IHNM has some awesome extras. I looked through the Making Of document and for a small company back in the day to get Ellison who doesn't even like video games to be the designer, redo some of the story elements AND be the voice of the evil supercomputer was a huge feat. Also, the composer went on to do tons of movies years later for directors like Bryan Singer.

Plus, you get the original IHNM short story in PDF form. Can't beat that.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Damn! I need to check muh GOG account out for the short story. Had no idea that was one of the extras.

Praise be to GOG!
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I read the short story last night... IHNM game > IHNM short story.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Opa Opa wrote:I read the short story last night... IHNM game > IHNM short story.

how short is it? I had looked it up on Google Play store and looked to be like 130 pages. Is that right, or was that maybe a collection of short stories w/ the same title?
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

it's a collection of multiple stories (the first is IHNM). i'd guess it took me less than 20 minutes to read it. if it were still on my kindle i'd tell you how many pages it was.

edit: i signed up for the kindle unlimited trial and got to read it for free so you don't even have to pay for it. just be sure to cancel your subscription.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

For those who haven't picked up I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream it's currently in a pretty decent bundle over at bundlestars.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/ ... ve-bundle/

$5.99 for steam copies of
System Shock 2
Bad Mojo Redux
Wizadry 6,7, and 8
Harvester
7th Guest & 11 Hour
I have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
and Shadow Man