Together Retro: F-Zero

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: F-Zero

Post by alienjesus »

ExedExes wrote:F-Zero GX.

Looks great with the component cables. Sega's touch and influence are all over the place. Difficult. Vehicles to unlock I may never see. But I am on Chapter 5 of Story Mode now, so some progress was being made.

Is that the one where you have to destroy the gang, or the speed pastiche?

I remember struggling with chapter 3 and chapter 6. 7 is probably the hardest, but I got through it quicker than expected. 8 and 9 aren't so bad.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irpcRApbpmo

This was posted a few days ago. A non-TAS run of Sand Ocean on F-Zero GX where the player sets (according to the comments) both the new Sand Ocean world record but also the Max Speed WR in one run.

The is totally channeling the spirit of F-Zero - his strategy was to aim for a jump between entire legs of the race course where he could leave a ledge and hit another stretch just before hitting the elevation where the computer would decide he'd crashed.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Also relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... CAeiYQNr36

This is a playlist of F-Zero GX tutorials, from the speed runner Naegleria. Tons of fantastic info aimed at getting players into the deeper aspects of the game. I have no affinity toward F-Zero, but I plan on giving GX a really good go, specifically because of these videos.
Flake

Post by Flake »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Also relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... CAeiYQNr36

This is a playlist of F-Zero GX tutorials, from the speed runner Naegleria. Tons of fantastic info aimed at getting players into the deeper aspects of the game. I have no affinity toward F-Zero, but I plan on giving GX a really good go, specifically because of these videos.

I may follow suit. F-Zero GX is a game that I am absolutely enamored of despite being entirely terrible at it. I've never gotten far into the game.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

alienjesus wrote:Is that the one where you have to destroy the gang, or the speed pastiche?

I remember struggling with chapter 3 and chapter 6. 7 is probably the hardest, but I got through it quicker than expected. 8 and 9 aren't so bad.

Chapter 4 was defeat the 30 gang members. Took me about an hour to finish. It was a good one to do because I needed to figure out exactly how to use the spin attack a little more effectively, because it helps in the actual races. I need to get enough tickets to unlock the next part.

Hope to revisit the SNES F-Zero as well as start the GBA titles this week.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
MyNameIsVince
64-bit

Post by MyNameIsVince »

Super Jamie wrote:
Nyukki wrote:I didn't get the shoulder buttons at first, but the way I use them is similar to strafing in FPSs, if that makes sense.

Two situations it comes in handy:
1, You've just crossed the finish line and need to recharge energy, you can hold the shoulder button to cruise into the pit lane without turning and slowing down or risk hitting the wall;

This has been a great tip, many thanks.

I too noticed you don't lose speed when strafing, but you do lose speed when cornering. When going through chicane sections I've been using the shoulder buttons to clear the edges and maintain a high speed.

It's so unfair how good the Fire Stingray is, highest top speed and by far the best cornering in the game. Its linear power delivery causes it to take a bigger penalty when you lose speed so it's quite risky in GP, but for time trials it just can't be beat.

The SNES manual is on replacementdocs. A good tip in there is to pull back when you jump, this points your nose up so it doesn't bang on the ground as you land, which causes you to lose speed. One of the entries on GameFAQs says this also makes you fly higher and further. You get a big speed boost in the air so this helps you maintain those 500+km/h runs for longer.

Pretty much everything about this game is maintaining as high a speed as possible. The same can be said for all racing games, but F-Zero seems to encourage it by making you do absolutely perfect laps every time at almost constant full throttle. Compare this to other racing games where you have to use the brakes. Maybe I need to stop playing the easy cup to find harder levels.

I tried Maximum Velocity on the GBA, but the controls feel so cramped compared to the SNES controller. I'll try emulating it on the computer and using a SNES-to-USB adaptor.

Really, Fire Stingray, best cornering? I attempted King League with Fire Stingray and that was NOT the case for me. The insane amount of cornering I had to do on some tracks led to some not so nice collisions from walls and other cars, and when you get hit by a car, you get tossed into walls at weird ass angles and because there's no reverse button, you have to lay off the accelerator or else you'll continue to move into the walls and suffer damage. Also, Fire Stingray's traction is kinda not that good and gaining speed is time consuming. I played Death Wind II with Fire Stingray and I died enough times to get a game over because that car's handling on that course is uh yikes. I switched to Blue Falcon and got 1st place on the course on my first try. I finished the rest of King League with Blue Falcon and didn't bother with Fire Stingray.

Maixmum Velocity is more cramped on the fingers (I speak from experience) but I actually find the controls to be tighter and easier to control the car than on the SNES F-Zero, but that's just me.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

MyNameIsVince wrote:Really, Fire Stingray, best cornering? I attempted King League with Fire Stingray and that was NOT the case for me. The insane amount of cornering I had to do on some tracks led to some not so nice collisions from walls and other cars, and when you get hit by a car, you get tossed into walls at weird ass angles and because there's no reverse button, you have to lay off the accelerator or else you'll continue to move into the walls and suffer damage. Also, Fire Stingray's traction is kinda not that good and gaining speed is time consuming. I played Death Wind II with Fire Stingray and I died enough times to get a game over because that car's handling on that course is uh yikes. I switched to Blue Falcon and got 1st place on the course on my first try. I finished the rest of King League with Blue Falcon and didn't bother with Fire Stingray.

Interesting observation. I played today on Knight League Standard Class as the FS and I noticed it had some REAL bad issues on Silence with those 90 degree turns and I was experiencing all the same problems. Cleared it on my last life after losing so many. Maybe I'll try a different one playing through the rest.

I tried F-Zero GX too, goodness that 2nd set of tracks is tough. The final one with all the gaps. Better make sure you're fast enough to clear them!
MyNameIsVince
64-bit

Post by MyNameIsVince »

ExedExes wrote:
MyNameIsVince wrote:Really, Fire Stingray, best cornering? I attempted King League with Fire Stingray and that was NOT the case for me. The insane amount of cornering I had to do on some tracks led to some not so nice collisions from walls and other cars, and when you get hit by a car, you get tossed into walls at weird ass angles and because there's no reverse button, you have to lay off the accelerator or else you'll continue to move into the walls and suffer damage. Also, Fire Stingray's traction is kinda not that good and gaining speed is time consuming. I played Death Wind II with Fire Stingray and I died enough times to get a game over because that car's handling on that course is uh yikes. I switched to Blue Falcon and got 1st place on the course on my first try. I finished the rest of King League with Blue Falcon and didn't bother with Fire Stingray.

Interesting observation. I played today on Knight League Standard Class as the FS and I noticed it had some REAL bad issues on Silence with those 90 degree turns and I was experiencing all the same problems. Cleared it on my last life after losing so many. Maybe I'll try a different one playing through the rest.

I tried F-Zero GX too, goodness that 2nd set of tracks is tough. The final one with all the gaps. Better make sure you're fast enough to clear them!

I don't even use Fire Stingray unless I'm trying to beat an easy course or set a time trial record. My main car to use is Wild Goose. Not as fast but slightly better handling. And yes, those 90 degree turns on Silence is difficult unless you're a blast turn pro. But at least that track you can practice on, and I think that's one downside to the original F-Zero that people may not even realize. You can only practice (their way of saying "time trial") on 7 of the 15 tracks, and only 2 of them are not in the Knight league, which is the first league you play in. That doesn't help you much when trying to race the later courses.

Don't even get me started on GX. I played the first league/cup/etc. I dunno what it's called in that game on the easiest mode, and I think I won 1 race out of 5, and it wasn't a close one either (I literally had the lead on 1 lap, maybe 2, and it was the one that counted).
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

MyNameIsVince wrote:Don't even get me started on GX. I played the first league/cup/etc. I dunno what it's called in that game on the easiest mode, and I think I won 1 race out of 5, and it wasn't a close one either (I literally had the lead on 1 lap, maybe 2, and it was the one that counted).

When I played today, I placed 17th on one of the races, and it let me move on :lol: Too bad that was the series with the gap track last.

So I also did Maximum Velocity today. I forget how terribly brutal and unforgiving that game can be. Then I find out to unlock anything you gotta be playing at least STANDARD class. It's ok, I think I need to try another vehicle.
MyNameIsVince
64-bit

Post by MyNameIsVince »

ExedExes wrote:
MyNameIsVince wrote:Don't even get me started on GX. I played the first league/cup/etc. I dunno what it's called in that game on the easiest mode, and I think I won 1 race out of 5, and it wasn't a close one either (I literally had the lead on 1 lap, maybe 2, and it was the one that counted).

When I played today, I placed 17th on one of the races, and it let me move on :lol: Too bad that was the series with the gap track last.

So I also did Maximum Velocity today. I forget how terribly brutal and unforgiving that game can be. Then I find out to unlock anything you gotta be playing at least STANDARD class. It's ok, I think I need to try another vehicle.

I think the first time I raced in a league in GX, I swear I placed something ridiculous in one race, like 25th or something out of 30. I sucked so horribly in that game. Still do, which probably explains why I don't like it as much as the other F-Zero games.

Maximum Velocity I have played a bit more often in recent weeks though. I do like it, although having you play through the harder difficulties to unlock stuff kinda sucks though. Here's my summary of what I've beaten in that game (in the 3 plus years I've owned it):

Pawn League - Beginner, Standard, Expert
Knight League - Beginner, Standard, Expert
Bishop League - Beginner, Standard

I have unlocked Master difficulty in Pawn and Knight (something I have yet to do in the SNES F-Zero), and yes, Knight League on Expert was damn difficult. The only stuff I've unlocked in that game is Sly Joker and the Championship Race. Sly Joker is the car I've used in beating the leagues ever since I got the car.