Together Retro: F-Zero

Join in on our classic gaming club!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: F-Zero

Post by ExedExes »

The Queen League tracks on the original F-Zero are some of the best in the entire game. Cleared these on Standard class with Blue Falcon. Didn't get bumped around as much this time.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Man, F-Zero GX is a real bastard when it wants to be. :lol: You can tell this is really a Sega game and a Sega arcade game at that. Great fun and super fast. That and there is the usual Sega weirdness like those silly interviews when you win a cup.

Shit music though. Has that weird bland electronic/rock music style that infected Tekken. Story mode can jog on as well with its stupid hard challenges.

I also beat GP Legend's four main cups though I still have some story stuff to do. It's possibly the easiest F-Zero I've played and I'd say its standard mode is equivalent to F-Zero's beginner. Doesn't make it any less fun though.

It's a really great package and has a real sense of personality MV was lacking. I love seeing the F-Zero X cast bombing their way along F-Zero courses.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Sload Soap wrote:Man, F-Zero GX is a real bastard when it wants to be. :lol: You can tell this is really a Sega game and a Sega arcade game at that. Great fun and super fast. That and there is the usual Sega weirdness like those silly interviews when you win a cup.

Shit music though. Has that weird bland electronic/rock music style that infected Tekken. Story mode can jog on as well with its stupid hard challenges.

I also beat GP Legend's four main cups though I still have some story stuff to do. It's possibly the easiest F-Zero I've played and I'd say its standard mode is equivalent to F-Zero's beginner. Doesn't make it any less fun though.

It's a really great package and has a real sense of personality MV was lacking. I love seeing the F-Zero X cast bombing their way along F-Zero courses.

I agree on all those points. As I said earlier, the whole overall design of GX is that of a Sega-developed game. The Mute City re-arrangement is decent as far as the music, and I at least finished the 30-car challenge after about an hour.

But I am wanting to get more into the 2 GBA titles. GP Legend was much easier, and the Standard class felt very easy. I'm going to be playing them again today as well as maybe fail at GX some more :lol:
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Made some good progress today.

On Maximum Velocity, cleared all three sets on Standard difficulty with JB Crystal and got the Sly Joker, which is basically a souped up JB Crystal (no complaints here!). I actually like the designs of some of the later courses, but those Ancient Mesa courses, no thanks, with all the ice!!

On GP Legend, cleared Silver Cup on Standard (should be beginner). Despite all the new vehicles I keep unlocking, I still prefer the Dragon Bird, it's the best one. It looks like I also got Michael Chain's vehicle (the leader of the 30 car challenge from GX). The Silver Cup courses were inspired from the SNES F-Zero's Knight League (with re-arranged music on all of them!) Plus, the last course had lower visibility due to fog, which was a neat touch.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Played the GBA games once more over the weekend.

Cleared Expert classes on all 3 sets with the Sly Joker on Maximum Velocity, and unlocked The Stingray. I see also that Master classes are now available.

Cleared Gold Cup on Standard class on GP Legend. I read that the final course on that set can be either one of two; mine came up as the Illusion course.

Good month, I enjoyed going through all of these games.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I didn't post, but I've been messing around with F-Zero GX for most of the month.

I was never a huge fan of the SNES or N64 games. I enjoyed them, but would not rave about them or play them hours on end. GX though... damn. This game just never stops. No matter how hard I push against it, it pushes back even harder.

But, its not just cheap deaths and punishing climbs to regain progress. Its pure, skill-based difficulty that demands good use of the skillsets the game teaches you. And, right when you think you've got shit down, the game demands more from you. This is my favorite type of difficulty.

Its a wonderful game, for me probably top 10 of that entire generation. Its up there with God Hand, and I don't say that lightly.

Ended up checking out Amusement Vision's other games, which are Super monkey Ball 1&2 (yeah, that's it, that's all they ever made), and these games are right up there as well. The design takes the same approach, but with an even simpler skill set (One analog, that's it). Its insane how freaking hard a game can get, while still being fair, with one analog stick.

Anyone who hasn't tried these, definitely check em out, even if the initial premise doesn't look promising. These are some of the finest games ever developed imo, and its sad that Amusement Vision went down with what, to me, is a flawless track record.

Glad this TR happened, I now have several games that I will likely play for months, if not years.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Glad this TR happened, I now have several games that I will likely play for months, if not years.

Seconded. I know September is over now, but I just finished the King/Standard set on the original F-Zero last night. Death Wind II and Fire Field gave me the most trouble.

I'll definitely go back to GX and the 2 GBA games. This was a very enjoyable month.