Together Retro: Ikaruga

Join in on our classic gaming club!
smoogyvonsmoogy
8-bit

Re: Together Retro: Ikaruga

Post by smoogyvonsmoogy »

Picked it up in the Steam Summer Sale and finally got around to playing it. I'm absolutely horrible at shooters (I audibly cheer every time I beat the first level of one) but for some reason I'm a glutton for punishment and really enjoy the genre. And this is definitely one of my favourites. As someone who's REALLY good at running into bullets, Ikaruga plays right to my strengths, and I actually made it to Chapter 2 on my 5th try! Surprisingly nice visuals, a rocking soundtrack, perfect control, this game basically has it all. Mind you, it'll probably take me a year to beat it knowing my skill level, but for someone who's a noob like me, it's really fun.
Systems owned: Odyssey, Commodore 64, Apple II+, Intellivision II, Atari 2600, Leisurevision, Atari 400, Vectrex, Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, Dreamcast, Turbografx-16, NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I've got Ikaruga on the Dreamcast. I've never got past the 2nd level (like some others here, I suck at shumps, but still enjoy them), but it's been a while since I've played it, so let's see how well I can do now. Edit: My mistake, I'm on chapter 2 now and I definitely have beaten this before. I must be thinking of chapter 3.

I just fired up and I'm towards the end of the first level and have not been hit yet. As a side note, I love the vibration on this game. The DC's vibration pack is so good. It's a shame not all games make use of it.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

There we go. Game over at the boss on chapter 2. I knew I sucked at this lol.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Wow, I had forgotten how hard this game is. After numerous attempts, I still have not past the second stage. I'm just playing for survival right now, not for score yet.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

samsonlonghair wrote:Wow, I had forgotten how hard this game is. After numerous attempts, I still have not past the second stage. I'm just playing for survival right now, not for score yet.

Yup, join the club. I just died at the second stage again. How in God's name do you beat this boss!? :lol:

Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Sign me up for membership to the club. I think this game is great but man, does it get hard fast. I've never been a big shmupper myself. I tried to do a bit of chaining but beyond the second stage it's just all about pure survival for me.

The only thing that's bugging me is the environmental hazards like the moving blocks and closing gates. It's like Radiant Silvergun in that respect forcing replay through jammy design. When you get it right it feels good but until that point it's irritating.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I just got to chapter 3 and wow, this is one tough level. Just got my ass handed to me.

ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Final Ikaruga scores from both this and the SOTM thread -

ChrisH2049 - 27,842,420 - ALL - DC
DocHauser - 6,077,050 - Chapter 3 - DC
skate323k137 - 5,415,120 - Chapter 4 - Arcade
mjmjr25 - 3,250,040 - Chapter 3 - PC
ExedExes - 1,768,990 - Chapter 2 - Gamecube
dsheinem - 1,432,330 - Chapter 2 - PC
TSTR - 955,130 - Chapter 2 - PC
Blu - 905,610 - Chapter 2 - XBLA
noiseredux - 904,200 - Chapter 2 - PC
alienjesus - 896,990 - Chapter 2 - Gamecube

Decent turnout, one of the largest this year for TR and SOTM as well. But we're moving on to Phelios on the SOTM thread, join us there if you can!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ColecoVisionist
8-bit

Post by ColecoVisionist »

Ikaruga is awesome. I remember not long after it came out, the packaging and odd title were a turn-off to the average buyer, and Incredible Universe had a blow-out sale of $14.95 each. They had a huge stack of them, but I only bought one. Sigh...