Join in on our classic gaming club!
User avatar
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:11 pm

someone brought up that there were too many characters and how they weren't fleshed out enough. I notice that if you run from level to level, you miss out on more of the different activities the campers are doing. The problem is in knowing where the campers are between levels and seeing what they are doing. That can be a huge slog and is the real detriment. I love the guys none the less..especially when you show them mr. pokeylope!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

by alienjesus Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Sload Soap wrote:
ExedExes wrote:
Question -- what happens if you ever run out of astral projections (lives)? Do you have to start a level again, and do you start with 3 again? I don't see it happening, but if it weren't for all the brain-health in the lungfish level as well as the extra lives, I got pretty close as I was trying to get past the underwater level.


You get booted out of the level and start again from your last checkpoint. It's pretty pointless to be honest. After the Lungfish the quality of the game jumps up a bit if you ask me.

Bit surprised there aren't more people playing this to be honest. I thought it would be one of the more popular TR games.


I guess it's just unfortunate timing. Lots of stuff on right now.

I want to play it, but I don't want the PC version and I don't have my XBox around right now.
Image
User avatar
Sload Soap
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1881
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:43 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

by Sload Soap Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:25 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:someone brought up that there were too many characters and how they weren't fleshed out enough. I notice that if you run from level to level, you miss out on more of the different activities the campers are doing. The problem is in knowing where the campers are between levels and seeing what they are doing. That can be a huge slog and is the real detriment. I love the guys none the less..especially when you show them mr. pokeylope!


I think this is why the made the arrowhead requirement for the cobweb grabber so high. It forces you to explore the camp and come across the characters on your travels. It's a super lazy bit of design but I can see why they went for it.
Ivo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3627
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

by Ivo Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:45 am

Sload Soap wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:someone brought up that there were too many characters and how they weren't fleshed out enough. I notice that if you run from level to level, you miss out on more of the different activities the campers are doing. The problem is in knowing where the campers are between levels and seeing what they are doing. That can be a huge slog and is the real detriment. I love the guys none the less..especially when you show them mr. pokeylope!


I think this is why the made the arrowhead requirement for the cobweb grabber so high. It forces you to explore the camp and come across the characters on your travels. It's a super lazy bit of design but I can see why they went for it.


Still doesn't work because you are forced to get the arrowheads precisely when the campers aren't really around any more. Bad design both ways IMO. They did well in lowering the requirement in newer versions.

There really isn't that much incentive to explore the camp, and if you do, it is a bit boring. There are the Psi cards and cores (and the scavenger hunt) but the game is enough of a collect-a-thon even if you took those away.

Speaking of which, I did go back and collect all the cobwebs and luggage, and after that I wasn't really missing many figments so I did go and collect whatever I was missing. There are a few that are really cruelly hidden, one where I think you pretty much have to die after getting it (last level, rail grind) and many that is a huge pain to get because they are floating around and you have to wait for it / or stuff like the race segment.

It is generally a good game, and indeed after the Water level things get better, but IMO it does have soem significant design flaws despite the very funny dialog and great settings.

Am I the only one that does not like the character design art style by the way?
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

by ExedExes Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:54 am

Ok, so now I'm in a bit of a situation here.

I can understand an item like this cobweb duster as completely optional.

But now I see it is required in the Milkman Conspiracy level?!

I am nowhere near the 800 arrowheads it takes to buy it, and now I can't proceed any further without it.

That is the dealbreaker right here. With a week to go, I don't know if I'm gonna have the time to search for arrowheads.
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ivo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3627
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

by Ivo Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:13 pm

ExedExes wrote:Ok, so now I'm in a bit of a situation here.

I can understand an item like this cobweb duster as completely optional.

But now I see it is required in the Milkman Conspiracy level?!

I am nowhere near the 800 arrowheads it takes to buy it, and now I can't proceed any further without it.

That is the dealbreaker right here. With a week to go, I don't know if I'm gonna have the time to search for arrowheads.


Yes it does suck, but if you buy the Arrowhead detector and use it you will eventually get them relatively fast (you can also look up locations for the deep ones on a guide).
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37953
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

by noiseredux Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Ivo, I hate the art style honestly.
Image
User avatar
Sload Soap
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1881
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:43 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

by Sload Soap Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:30 pm

ExedExes wrote:Ok, so now I'm in a bit of a situation here.

I can understand an item like this cobweb duster as completely optional.

But now I see it is required in the Milkman Conspiracy level?!

I am nowhere near the 800 arrowheads it takes to buy it, and now I can't proceed any further without it.

That is the dealbreaker right here. With a week to go, I don't know if I'm gonna have the time to search for arrowheads.


It takes maybe 10-15 mins if you have the arrow detecting doohickey.
User avatar
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6251
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

by Erik_Twice Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:11 pm

I like the design style, however some of the human characters don't seem to have translated as well into the game as one would think. Mila Vodello looks pretty awful and the camera makes characters look uglier than they are.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

by ExedExes Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Ivo wrote:Yes it does suck, but if you buy the Arrowhead detector and use it you will eventually get them relatively fast (you can also look up locations for the deep ones on a guide).

Oddly enough, that item is reasonably priced. I thought forced grinding only existed on JRPGs. Another poor design decision. But, I shall press on.
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests