Together Retro: Psychonauts

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Balasubbie
128-bit

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

Post by Balasubbie »

Duane Dibbley wrote:Those of you who haven't played it before, have fun with the Meat Circus. :lol:

'Bunny.......bunny'

Eventually you'll get to a point where you can predict where and when the camera's gonna go goofy, before you can even engage with its intended difficulty, but it requires a bit of zen to get there.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I played through it a few years ago, and some of the later levels are among the best in any 3D platforming game.

I don't know if that's exactly high praise :lol:

I'm at the tank boss which is a very simply fight made annoying by the game controls. First, the character automatically looks towards the tank, which is a change of controls to accomodate for a round arena. It feels like being yoked with a rope and makes lateral movement very annoying in an area in which lateral movement is the most common kind.

Second, you have to shoot the tank when it exposes its belly but for it to expose its belly you have to make it lose your trail and 90% when you do, fire autolock doens't work correctly or the camera doesn't work correctly and you get hit. Rinse and repeat.

I'll probably reach the post-tutorial levels tomorrow and finish my review for the day after tomorrow.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

General_Norris wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I played through it a few years ago, and some of the later levels are among the best in any 3D platforming game.

I don't know if that's exactly high praise :lol:

:lol:

It is one of my favorite genres; so, I can assure you that it is high praise. While the level design in Psychonauts does not quite touch that found in the Super Mario Galaxy games, it comes pretty close. Lungfishopolis, the Milkman Conspiracy, and Black Velvetopia are particularly inspired.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

prfsnl_gmr wrote: Lungfishopolis, the Milkman Conspiracy, and Black Velvetopia are particularly inspired.

Truer words have never been said.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ok one thing I don't like in games is walking around trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go next. I got to the docks and was told I needed a badge to get a boat. But I needed to find a counselor to get a badge. So I've just been wandering aimlessly around the hub world for a half hour and wishing I was actually playing a level.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I hope these Arrowheads are easy to find; I'm all about the collect-a-thon type games (which this one seems to be in spades), but the prices for some of the items can be a bit expensive.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

hey i might actually play this one.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

ExedExes wrote:I hope these Arrowheads are easy to find; I'm all about the collect-a-thon type games (which this one seems to be in spades), but the prices for some of the items can be a bit expensive.

Don't even bother picking them from the ground because once you start seeing enemies, you'll get flooded in them. Each enemy drops at least one and there are plants you can punch for more.

noiseredux wrote:ok one thing I don't like in games is walking around trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go next. I got to the docks and was told I needed a badge to get a boat. But I needed to find a counselor to get a badge. So I've just been wandering aimlessly around the hub world for a half hour and wishing I was actually playing a level.

There are some empty tree trunks you can get into for faster movement. The hub is still annoying but at least you don't need to deal with Raz's slow walking speed.

Where to go is always marked in your map too, but you need to open the menu and check there, there's no quick map button.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yeah the map is how I knew to go to the dock. But then told I need a merit badge to get a boat... no idea.

Also unlike Exed, I hate collecting shit so hope that's somewhat optional.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

noiseredux wrote:Yeah the map is how I knew to go to the dock. But then told I need a merit badge to get a boat... no idea.

Have you checked the hut? The "crazy janitor" is there and gives you a boat if you talk to him.

Also unlike Exed, I hate collecting shit so hope that's somewhat optional.
`
So far I haven't needed to collect anything other than figments to unlock new powers. So yeah, you have to collect a lot of stuff but you can ignore a whole lot of stuff too.