Together Retro: Psychonauts

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

Post by noiseredux »

OK, started it up. So far, the platforming is good. There's a ton of talking though. I hope that there's less once you get out of the beginning. The writing is funny and all, but I wanna PLAY.

360 pad works good on Steam. Ugh, I have noticed though that sometimes when I'm not pressing the analog stick, I'll start to walk to the right. It's not constant, but it happens.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote:OK, started it up. So far, the platforming is good. There's a ton of talking though. I hope that there's less once you get out of the beginning. The writing is funny and all, but I wanna PLAY.

360 pad works good on Steam. Ugh, I have noticed though that sometimes when I'm not pressing the analog stick, I'll start to walk to the right. It's not constant, but it happens.

Don't worry, there will still be talking, but it gets even funnier and more charming, but the levels will be the real focus and....you will understand when you experience it. I will play through it again, making it my third playthrough of it! For some reason, my steam achievements didn't register for some of the game, as I have the achievement for completing the game, but not for completing some of the levels....weird!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fixed it. Seems the deadzone is set too low by default.

Also, anyone having issues w/ the camera - shut off "Smart Camera."

EDIT: Beat the first level - the obstacle course. A lot more fun than I expected.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

noiseredux wrote:fixed it. Seems the deadzone is set too low by default.

Also, anyone having issues w/ the camera - shut off "Smart Camera."

EDIT: Beat the first level - the obstacle course. A lot more fun than I expected.

Yeah I wrote that in the article even. I think in the console ports you can't turn it off though.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

You liked the obstacle course? I found it dull as dishwater even for a tutorial level. And the graphics don't make the art direction justice.

We are practically on the same point, I'm near the secret lab or at least trying to get there.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I found the obstacle course to be a good introduction to it all. I was hoping it wouldn't be as precise and frustrating as The Lost Vikings was, but the controls are up to the task. I find the camera to be a little annoying (even with Smart Camera on and off), but there was just the right amount of good writing, item collecting, and non-difficult platforming so far.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
catnip
128-bit

Post by catnip »

I think I'll be down. Should be getting internet in the new place tomorrow so I can download :D
Final Fantasy IX is the best one
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

I played Psychonauts on Steam not too long ago, and enjoyed it for the most part. I probably won't play it again now, but I might fire it up and try to get an achievement or two. Here's my Steam review:
The most fun and creative 3D platformer I've played outside of a Mario game. This game would be nearly perfect if not for a couple instances of infuriating control and camera problems. Still, Psychonauts is well worth playing.

Those of you who haven't played it before, have fun with the Meat Circus. :lol:
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:EDIT: Beat the first level - the obstacle course. A lot more fun than I expected.

If you liked that, I can't wait to read your thoughts on the rest of the game. I played through it a few years ago, and some of the later levels are among the best in any 3D platforming game.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Put in a couple of hours earlier and got the levitation skill. It's a bit of a slow start but I've played it before so I know the good stuff is coming up. This was my favourite platformer of its generation so I'm looking forward to this month.