Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Join in on our classic gaming club!
SpaceBooger

Re: Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Post by SpaceBooger »

Solved my own problem - no mapper needed.
I got the free version directly from Blizzard. It had DosBox built in. I found the dosbox.conf file and added
[joystick]
joysticktype=fcs

Once I added that, I used dosbox's mapper (props to isiolia for pointing it out) to map my 360's dpad to the it's analog stick.
All is good and now I have the option to play on both my Genny and PC.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

So I started it today (GBA port).

I saw that it was ported by Mass Media, and I almost cringed (they were famous for the not-so-good 6th gen Namco Museum ports back in the day). Then I found out that they were originally Cinemaware, known for their Amiga titles such as Defenders of the Crown and Three Stooges.

Developer aside, this is a very competent port of the SNES original so far. Everything is completely intact. To answer a previous question, L and R does switch the vikings here, but using items, buttons, and talking require different button combinations.

Plus, no passwords! 6 save slots are available, and the game saves on every new level.

Well done Mass Media, well done.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

SNES version.........

8)

Gonna fire it up on Genesis tomorrow.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Dang...that didn't take long I think...I guess tomorrow no matter how badly I don't want to I'll load up parallels and give it a go...might be my best chance to play it for now ha ha...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

About halfway through the prehistoric levels on the Genesis port. The controls are kinda clunky, even with a 6-button controller. I'm eagerly awaiting to see the extra levels that were added to this version.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Genesis port = done!

How are you guys coming along?
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Genesis port = done!

How are you guys coming along?

The bubble level (~10) was annoying me last night. I died 3 times not realizing you can't block on an incline. The vikings talked trash after the 3rd death- I though it was funny but called it a night.
I will be playing this in small chunks throughout the month since it's a hectic time - track season ending, school ending, award banquets etc, and my son's t-ball schedule. I like the game and it works well in small chunks of time.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah combat can be slightly annoying in the game. Fighting on inclines sucks, it's best to lure enemies to a flat area.

You may have noticed that many enemies can be touched, it's merely their attacks that actually harm you. This knowledge comes in handy later. You can completely pass through some enemies as long as you avoid their attacks.

Soon enough you'll have to fight enemies with Baleog alone, no Olaf and his shield to back him up. In those cases it makes the most sense to just charge at the enemy while slamming the sword attack button.

Erik can also damage enemies by bashing into them. This generally isn't the best method of attack, but it works wonders in a pinch. It's also the most effective way to kill the robot enemies in the factory levels.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Ok, so the dialogue between the vikings is cheesy, but I do like what they say when you have to continuously redo a level -

"It's like we've been here before" :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I've never seem that dialogue because I rule at this game.

Just kiddin'.

Some of the later stages are brutal - especially those with the insta-death lasers.