Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Re: Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Post by Duane Dibbley »

Stark wrote:Well hey! Ain't this handy: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/02/blizz ... -for-free/

Yep. That's what I posted about. :wink:
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
Aramonde
128-bit

Post by Aramonde »

Duane Dibbley wrote:
Stark wrote:Well hey! Ain't this handy: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/02/blizz ... -for-free/

Maybe people at Blizzard are on this forum 0.0
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Duane Dibbley wrote:

oops
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

For all you glitch gremlins out there, here's a glitch that I discovered a few years ago. It's easy to perform and pretty amusing too. I replicate this on every playthrough, including my current one. I can confirm this works on the SNES version of the game - I'll test it on Genesis later.

From what I can tell, the glitch is activated when you hit a switch that can't perform the function it was designed to perform. I've been successful in getting this glitch to activate in one level (NFL8), though it may apply to many.

Anyway, your vikings collect bombs throughout the game to blow up various obstructions. The game is generally pretty generous with handing out bombs, you can typically waste one or two (ie: dropping them in the wrong spots) and still complete a level.

In NFL8, the first Candy Land stage, you will collect two bombs. The first one must be used to get through a wall. The second one is nonessential. Take Erik to the area where the blue key is, with the remaining bomb in his inventory. You're supposed to inflate Erik with the pump and then hit the switch that will remove the floor over the bomb. However, the floor can actually be bombed, so use the bomb on it instead of hitting the switch. Hop in the hole, collect the key, and then inflate Erik and hit the switch. The entire level goes bananas starts shaking violently! It makes it a tad more difficult to beat the stage, but nothing major.

I love finding crazy shiz like this in old games.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Duane Dibbley wrote:This game is currently free on Battle.net. Just log into your account, and it should be listed under Games & Codes/Download Game Clients. I look forward to trying it out.

Well then it looks like tonight when I get home from work I'll be booting up parallels so I can play it....even though I hate playing games like this on my computer since I don't have a way to hook a controller up...oh well :lol:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

It was really convenient that Blizz thought to release it free right now (to Battle.net users). It was probably just a timely coincidence, but it is still cool.

Racketboy, can we amend the front page article with this info?
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Has any one used the free download. It seems buggy with 360 pad. Any suggestions?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

darsparx wrote:Well then it looks like tonight when I get home from work I'll be booting up parallels so I can play it....even though I hate playing games like this on my computer since I don't have a way to hook a controller up...oh well :lol:

Seems like it works fine in OS X if you just drop the DOSBox executable into the folder and run it. The Lost Vikings.exe is just a version of that, far as I know. The actual game is in the VIKINGS folder.

You've got options for controllers though. If you have no free USB ports, Wii, Wii U, PS3, and PS4 controllers (at least) are Bluetooth. WJoy can let you sync a Wiimote to your Mac (you may need extra software to configure buttons and such though), and newer versions of OS X will connect to PS3 controllers fine without additional software.

SpaceBooger wrote:Has any one used the free download. It seems buggy with 360 pad. Any suggestions?

Seemed like it wasn't just with the 360 pad, since by default the OS X stuff was wonky too. I'd guess the PC version of the game just wasn't built around using a joystick.

Hit CTRL-F1 to bring up the DOSBox mapper. What seemed to clear things up to me was to then delete all the joystick binds - the three boxes that are like Axis 1/2 Axis 3/4 and Disabled (on OS X it was Joystick 1 and Joystick 2).
You can then go up to the arrow keys, click them and hit Add to bind a stick direction so that you can use that. The 360 controller D-pad shows up when binding, but doesn't seem to work, but the Classic Controller D-pad worked fine. Otherwise, you can then pick whatever other keys you want and map the appropriate buttons to them.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

isiolia wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:Has any one used the free download. It seems buggy with 360 pad. Any suggestions?

Seemed like it wasn't just with the 360 pad, since by default the OS X stuff was wonky too. I'd guess the PC version of the game just wasn't built around using a joystick.

Hit CTRL-F1 to bring up the DOSBox mapper. What seemed to clear things up to me was to then delete all the joystick binds - the three boxes that are like Axis 1/2 Axis 3/4 and Disabled (on OS X it was Joystick 1 and Joystick 2).
You can then go up to the arrow keys, click them and hit Add to bind a stick direction so that you can use that. The 360 controller D-pad shows up when binding, but doesn't seem to work, but the Classic Controller D-pad worked fine. Otherwise, you can then pick whatever other keys you want and map the appropriate buttons to them.

I don't know maybe it's my 360 controller/analog stick the characters never stop or stand still. I am still looking for a d-pad work around. Thanks for Control-F1 tip.

My analog stick doesn't drift in any other game or in the controller's properties. Has anyone else noticed analog drift in DosBox?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Im using dosbox w 360 pad via Pinnacle... no prob w dpad.