Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah the DOS controls are pretty ass. I would Joy2Key that shiz.

I use Pinnacle Game Profiler... same idea, but a slicker interface.

But yo. This game is good! I just beat level 2. (using stupid keyboard controls)

TLPT
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Glad you like it.

Here are the SNES controls, if you want to try to get the DOS controls to match that layout:

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Lost_Vikings/Controls
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

already made a controller profile in Pinnacle. Let me talk up Pinnacle for a second... not only does it have TONS of pre-set games you can load instead of making your own, but you can make your own super easy. But what's even better, you can launch the game from Pinnacle. So I just open Pinnacle, click on Lost Vikings in the list and it launches the game for me, along w/ DOSBox and has the controller working right away. Brilliant piece of software. I used to use Joy2Key, but Pinnacle is so much better. Rare for me to pay for such a program, but it's money WELL spent if you play a lot of old games (like you, Bone). You can even use it to emulate the mouse in Windows if you want. I'm pretty sure that's what Stark does for his TVbox.
tinkernaut

Post by tinkernaut »

I'm really excited to start this game. I just discovered this site a few days ago, and Together Retro is what made me decide to join instead of just lurk. I'll be starting this on SNES this weekend. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

This game is currently free on Battle.net. Just log into your account, and it should be listed under Games & Codes/Download Game Clients. I look forward to trying it out.
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm in the "Candy Land" section of the game now. This is where the difficulty ramps up considerably.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I think I left off on LVL 3. (GRND)

Question: if all 3 vikings must get to the exit, why is it that the game doesn't end if one of the 3 dies?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Good question.

I guess theoretically the programmers wanted to give you a chance to "explore" the level even if it was all in vain. And isn't there some dialogue if you finish a level without a viking or two? I honestly can't remember. I always restart a level as soon as a viking dies.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:already made a controller profile in Pinnacle. Let me talk up Pinnacle for a second... not only does it have TONS of pre-set games you can load instead of making your own, but you can make your own super easy. But what's even better, you can launch the game from Pinnacle. So I just open Pinnacle, click on Lost Vikings in the list and it launches the game for me, along w/ DOSBox and has the controller working right away. Brilliant piece of software. I used to use Joy2Key, but Pinnacle is so much better. Rare for me to pay for such a program, but it's money WELL spent if you play a lot of old games (like you, Bone). You can even use it to emulate the mouse in Windows if you want. I'm pretty sure that's what Stark does for his TVbox.

+1 would agree with post again

Plus I think it's only like $5.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.