Together Retro: Shock Troopers

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Shock Troopers

Post by noiseredux »

played a couple credits last night.

wip3outguy7 wrote:How well does it run on the Dreamcast?

Depends. My first attempt, I played the jungle and everything was fine. Second attempt I took the... uh... route with a lot of water? And I had some - not really 'slowdown,' but more like stuttering at various points. Not completely game-breaking, but certainly annoying. Jungle seemed fine though, so I don't know if it's a matter of route. Audio is not perfect, but that wouldn't bother me if the gameplay was 100%.

My thoughts on the game itself: I don't love it. But in fairness, I've never been a huge fan of 8-way shooters. A game like this has to be really perfect for me to get into it. Maybe it's that I'm not great at them. The whole thing where you have to not be shooting to change which way you're shooting sort of confuses me I guess. I tend to have trouble aiming fast enough, so I'm always just kind of moving around and shooting at nothing it seems.

The graphics are really great though. Excellent sprite-work, awesome color pallet, wonderful detail. I don't hate it, and I'll give it a fair shot, but I find it doubtful it'll hold me interest for an extended portion of the month.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

This game is on Dreamcast?!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:This game is on Dreamcast?!

guy, pay attention. Emulated on Dreamcast.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

noiseredux wrote:The whole thing where you have to not be shooting to change which way you're shooting sort of confuses me I guess. I tend to have trouble aiming fast enough, so I'm always just kind of moving around and shooting at nothing it seems.

Tap shoot for great justice, bro.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

I dug up a co-op video from a couple of years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWe7KuZ1kEY

Great showcase for the NeoGeo Station's fantastic net code.

This is probably my favorite top-down run n' gun. I've come very close to 1CCing it in the past. The roll can be abused and understanding its invincibility frames is essential in the later levels. Don't forget to melee people for health power ups. It's also your most powerful attack, second only to bomb attacks.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ExedExes wrote:I too will be playing,

must feel good to have other people in the thread w/ you this month, huh? :wink:
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

alienjesus wrote:Interested to see how many continues different ports allow - I think the Wii Virtual Console one has it limited by default to 3? I'll have to check.

The SNK disk collection has unlimited continues as well as adjustable difficulty, lives, etc.

The VC, if it's anything like the Magician Lord I downloaded before I knew any better will have limited continues that may make completing it difficult to say the least.

It's also worth noting for PAL gamers that the VC versions are rotten 50hz ports whereas the disc version runs in 60hz and also has the additional medals and unlockables unlike the botched ROM that Nintendo has on its overpriced store.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:must feel good to have other people in the thread w/ you this month, huh? :wink:

Yeah seriously. I was contemplating one last playthough of M.U.L.E. last weekend, but seeing that I already played once on the Tournament level, I really didn't feel like doing another report if nobody was playing it alongside me. Now this thread in the next few days will have more posts than that one did. I see what happens when I lobby hard for a game :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ExedExes wrote:
noiseredux wrote:must feel good to have other people in the thread w/ you this month, huh? :wink:

Yeah seriously. I was contemplating one last playthough of M.U.L.E. last weekend, but seeing that I already played once on the Tournament level, I really didn't feel like doing another report if nobody was playing it alongside me. Now this thread in the next few days will have more posts than that one did. I see what happens when I lobby hard for a game :lol:

I'm really glad everyone voted to put MULE on the roster, and even more happy that all those who voted for it decided to play along :roll:

Next time we do a sim, maybe w should choose something a LITTLE less dated than MULE or Populous. I think the problem is the games we choose for the genre, not the genre itself.
kelsoanim
32-bit

Post by kelsoanim »

Oh man, I played this a bit on the MAME cab at work the other day. Fun stuff. I'm in to play along with this one.
A-B-P. A-always, B-be, P-platforming. Always be platforming! Always be platforming!!
My Game Room - My Game Collection