Join in on our classic gaming club!
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9578
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by Stark Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Stuck at the elevator that has a roof, three levels and a basement. I've travelled to several levels and I'm not sure how to progress further. I still have only 2 keycards.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8178
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by alienjesus Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:36 pm

I guess everyone either finished or gave up?


I've gotten started on my third Metal Gear game of the month - Metal Gear Solid for GBC.


Early thoughts:

- This seems to be an alternate timeline to the Metal Gear Solid on PS1. It starts in a similar situation, at a similar time, and seems to follow on directly from Metal Gear 2, just like the PS1 game does.

- This feels a lot more smooth than the MSX games. Snake is pretty sprightly here, and dodging enemies is quite easy.

- This game has the Metal Gear 2 problem of being caught by enemies you can't see on the radar. The radar being so tiny on the GBA screen doesnt help - enemies are literally a single pixel on the radar. Luckily...

- Escaping enemies is really easy in this game. By escaping, I mean running. Enemies rarely shoot, if you're hit you take much less damage than the other games. Getting caught by an enemy in the early parts of Metal Gear 1 or 2 was basically a game over, but here it's barely a concern. Finding somewhere to hide for long enough to stop you being chased is much more hit and miss though - there are few hiding spots, so it often boils down to running circles around crates hoping enemies don't corner you.

- This game is in mission mode. I'm seriously hoping that means the obnoxious backtracking of the other games will be stripped out. Missions seem quick, and finish at logical places.

- Holy crap the intro movie to this game is like 15 minutes long. On a GBC game!



So far, I like it. I'm in mission 3 right now, trying to find a guard with a red hat and ponytail.
Image
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9578
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by Stark Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:39 pm

alienjesus wrote:I guess everyone either finished or gave up?

I'm still playing ... no one responded to my question, but I figured it out.

I just defeated the HIND and I parachuted from the roof down into a mess of dogs. Then I got into a truck and it moved and transported me to the beginning of the game. :( Looks like I get to fight my way back up to the roof.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10145
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Stark wrote:I just defeated the HIND and I parachuted from the roof down into a mess of dogs. Then I got into a truck and it moved and transported me to the beginning of the game. :( Looks like I get to fight my way back up to the roof.


:lol:

I remember that. Getting back to the roof is not too bad though once you know where you are going, however.

PRO-TIP: Other than the truck in the desert - which contains rations! - it is best to avoid getting in trucks for the rest of the game.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8178
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by alienjesus Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Stark wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I guess everyone either finished or gave up?

I'm still playing ... no one responded to my question, but I figured it out.

I just defeated the HIND and I parachuted from the roof down into a mess of dogs. Then I got into a truck and it moved and transported me to the beginning of the game. :( Looks like I get to fight my way back up to the roof.



Thats exactly what I did :(
Image
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9578
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by Stark Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:52 pm

alienjesus wrote:
Stark wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I guess everyone either finished or gave up?

I'm still playing ... no one responded to my question, but I figured it out.

I just defeated the HIND and I parachuted from the roof down into a mess of dogs. Then I got into a truck and it moved and transported me to the beginning of the game. :( Looks like I get to fight my way back up to the roof.



Thats exactly what I did :(

"Gotcha!" ~Hideo Kojima

MGS for the GBC sounds really cool, I've owned it for a while, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Is this a game that Kojima has removed from the canon?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8178
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by alienjesus Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Stark wrote:
MGS for the GBC sounds really cool, I've owned it for a while, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Is this a game that Kojima has removed from the canon?



Pretty sure it was non-canon from the outset, as it seems to be an alternate timeline to the PS1 Metal Gear Solid.
Image
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by ExedExes Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:57 pm

A bit late to it, but I've been playing. 3 star rank, defeated the Machine Gun boss, now on the roof.
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ivo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3627
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by Ivo Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:19 am

alienjesus wrote:I guess everyone either finished or gave up?


I really want to start it and see if I can finish it with the forum's help, but I'm still "stuck" on Ogre Battle (that game is a time sink...). Considering prioritizing Metal Gear instead as apparently I can finish it in some hours?

Maybe next weekend then.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37870
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by noiseredux Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:00 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:PRO-TIP: Other than the truck in the desert - which contains rations! - it is best to avoid getting in trucks for the rest of the game.


yeah. Even if someone tells you to get in a truck, don't do it.

I know from experience dude.
Image
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest