Join in on our classic gaming club!
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

by Stark Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Stark wrote:I just defeated the HIND and I parachuted from the roof down into a mess of dogs. Then I got into a truck and it moved and transported me to the beginning of the game. :( Looks like I get to fight my way back up to the roof.

:lol:

I remember that. Getting back to the roof is not too bad though once you know where you are going, however.

PRO-TIP: Other than the truck in the desert - which contains rations! - it is best to avoid getting in trucks for the rest of the game.

Jordan your PRO-TIP needs help.
You have to get in the "right" truck to get Key Card #4!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Stark wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:PRO-TIP: Other than the truck in the desert - which contains rations! - it is best to avoid getting in trucks for the rest of the game.
Jordan your PRO-TIP needs help.
You have to get in the "right" truck to get Key Card #4!

I know...I know...I meant after that. :lol:
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:11 am

Ok I'm gearing (pun intended) up to playing this over the weekend.
MSX2 version, right? I think I once got an emulator running for Thexder.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Ivo wrote:Ok I'm gearing (pun intended) up to playing this over the weekend.
MSX2 version, right? I think I once got an emulator running for Thexder.

I'm playing the MSX version via MGS3 on the Vita.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Metal Gear Solid GBC:

Beat missions 3 and 4. Mission 3 was confusing to find my way, but good enough.

Mission 4 was a pain - the first part has you 'following' someone out of a base, but she disappears sometimes meaning you stumble around blindly trying to find her.

The second part involves sneaking through a jungle. Its not so bad, some annoyances in the forms of door puzzles, but there are dogs, and I'm clueless on how to avoid them.

It seems they come after you at the slightest movement and noise, and it's based on range rather than sight. It makes sense, but it's a pain in the ass to get around.

Beat the first boss. It was a fairly tough fight, but it felt like a proper boss fight, unlike some of the poor attempts in Metal Gear 1 and 2 *cough*RunningManandTheShotgunGuy*cough*

4 stages down, 7 to go. Should blast through this one in the next week or so.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Ok I'm up and running. Right at the start. Get a couple of calls and such. The MSX2 was keyboard controls right? I'll look up the controls.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:25 am

This game is a maze and there is no (auto)-map.
I don't have time to explore this in this day and age (I had the same issue with the original Zelda overworld - at least the dungeons in Zelda do map).
I'm using a guide in order to avoid backtracking along huge tracts of terrain.

Other than that it is pretty cool. The stealth and inventory reminds me of games I did play when younger and had time for this stuff:
The Great Escape (I think Spectrum, maybe C64)
Escape from Colditz (Amiga)

Both are games where you are a PoW in WWII and are supposed to escape a concentration camp (the "captured officers" type, not the even more dreadful ones), and I think they are also made by European developers so you guys here in the forum may never have heard of them. They are quite good, so maybe if you try them you will find they are hidden gems.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Finished. Kojima is a bit of a troll isn't he :)

Anyway, some memorable stuff, and some forgetful stuff. It is satisfying to sneak up and cautiously remove guards. But the line of sight system used is finicky and quite ridiculous. The combat is a bit awkward as well, some of the boss fights are either too hard if you try to "play fair" and too easy if you just exploit the boss AI (which I think is what you are actually meant to do).

I'm glad I played it but I'm not sure if saying it is classic might be overrating it a bit. I have to admit the game is really ambitious overall for 1987.

IMO Boktai 1 and 3 where much better with regard to the stealth for several reasons, but they are also much more recent so it is not a fair comparison.
I should play Metal Gear Solid eventually :/ (so little time, so many good games)

So AJ has been playing the other games in the series. Would you recommend Metal Gear 2, or is it mostly more of the same (in which case I would skip it, personally)?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:59 pm

Ivo wrote:
So AJ has been playing the other games in the series. Would you recommend Metal Gear 2, or is it mostly more of the same (in which case I would skip it, personally)?

Metal Gear 2 is a massive step up in ambition and scale. I'd give it a go.

I've been playing more Metal Gear Solid on the Game Boy Colour. Finished missions 5, 6 & 7 (of 11) today. 5 was the first mission that felt like a full metal gear game area design. The level was in a huge complex and it was a pain to get around. Most of the level involved going through the postage system and switching boxes so you got sorted into different areas. It was a pain, and I used a map online.

Mission 6 took place in the same area, but the power was out. This was actually pretty cool - my radar stopped working, but so did the enemy cameras, the conveyor belt system (so I could just run through them this time thankfully) and the lights. As the Night Vision goggles are at the end of the level it was pretty cool running around with thermal goggles on - everything was bright red. The boss at the end of the level was a little disappointing though, as it was mostly luck based. The boss attacks with 2 dolls and you have to hit the right one of the three. The boss throws flash grenades though, so most of the time you're blindly shooting whilst blindly dodging attacks. Meh.

Mission 7 was crazy short, and involved crawling through a minefield, then being chased by a helicopter back through the minefield. Frustrating, because the mines respawn and I dont think its possible to not take damage.

I'm in a power plant now. It looks big, so I imagine the next few missions will be in here. 2 more bosses to go I think.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:42 pm

I'm playing still albeit slowly. I beat the tank and bulldozer keeps running me over. :(
Return to Together Retro