Together Retro: Metal Gear

Join in on our classic gaming club!
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

Post by isiolia »

General_Norris wrote:Hey, I wanna play this one. How did it take you to beat it Noise?

I found the How Long To Beat times to be pretty accurate for the two MSX games (~4 hours for Metal Gear ~6 for Metal Gear 2) - though admittedly, I was referring to FAQs, and didn't wander around aimlessly too much.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

it took me just under 6 hours, and I did reference maps for some item/prisoner locations.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

My save file puts be at about 2 and a half hours, and I'm about half way through I think. I've not been using guides except for one bit to find the blast suit. I've no idea if that incldues the times i've died and reloaded, but I'd imagine not. Add an extra hour or so.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I think I've made the game unwinnable. I am so pissed off.

I got caught out by the fake Dr.Madnar in the basement, and he killed me. Next time through, knowing he was a fake, I shot him instead. I carried on playing, and saved my game.

What I hadn't realised is that the game demoted me by 1 star when I shot him, as it counted the fake as a civilian. Now I can;t find enough hostages to get a 4 star rank and call jennifer for the rocker launcher.

Edit: Thank god, found a door I hadnt visited yet. Must be more careful now!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I got the rocket launcher, but it didn;t come with any ammo. Where do I get some?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alienjesus wrote:I got the rocket launcher, but it didn;t come with any ammo. Where do I get some?

ammo is just ammo. Find some ammo now that you have the rocket launcher and you'll be set.

Also, I think that you only needed four stars to get the rocket launcher. I accidentally shot a hostage late in the game and was demoted to three, and had three when I beat the game.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Aaaaaaannd BEAT.

Final results:

Difficulty: Original
Play Time: 4:37:14
Save: 29
Continue: 52 (some of these were me suiciding out of frustration mid game XD)
Alert mode: 102
Humans Killed: 549 (I used the handgun a LOT once I got the silencer. In MGS I barely used it at all)
Ration used: 73
Special item: Not used
Code name: Deer

What's this special item thing? I didn't realise there was more than one difficulty either.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

So I played the first few minutes of Metal Gear 2. I had 3 thoughts.

1. Wow, they really added a lot since the first game, it feels much more developed. You can hide from enemies when they spot you to get away, you have a radar, items dont respawn, you can crawl, you make sounds by running on certain floors or punching walls. It feels just like Metal Gear Solid in 2D.

2. Wow. It REALLY feels just like Metal Gear Solid in 2D. I just snuck past some guards, into an air vent on the front wall of the building, crawled around the vent and came out in a Tank Hangar. Colonel Campbell and Master Miller are on the codec. A girl also calls me. She's not Meryl, but she looks just like Meryl, and shes inside here like me ....just like Meryl. This is all VERY familiar.

Did MGS do ANYTHING original?

3. Wow. This is HARD. I'm constantly getting caught, and despite hiding to escape now being an option I rarely find I have enough time before someone rushes onto the screen, and if I do, they often find me before the timer expires anyway. I'm also really struggling with the enemies moving between screens - so many times I've been getting my bearings when an enemy suddenly walks on screen, or I;ve run onto the next screen only to find a stationary enemy is already looking right at me. Going to be a learning curve to this one methinks.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Reading these comments, I've been kinda been confused when people say you can't hide from enemies after being alerted. Then after reading Alien J's post I realized I've only played Metal Gear 2. :oops:
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

I'm in.

I'll start by playing Metal Gear on the NES, which is the same copy that I had when I was a kid. I still have the manual and passwords, but I'll start from scratch. Know the game like the back of my hand, so I'm going to try to beat it in three hours. Not sure if it's possible, but I'll give it a try.