Together Retro: Metal Gear

Join in on our classic gaming club!
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

Post by emwearz »

Was easier to just use this patch with a MSX emulator.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/842/
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I'm thinking of being a little different. I've ALWAYS wanted to play Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for GBC. I'm assuming it's the same style as the MSX ones.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Violent By Design wrote:I'm thinking of being a little different. I've ALWAYS wanted to play Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for GBC. I'm assuming it's the same style as the MSX ones.

I'll be playing this later this month after I finished Metal Gear 1 & 2.

isiolia wrote:Of note, it's on the second disc of MGS3 Subsistence, which you'd only get in the stand-alone release.
The PS3 and 360 HD collections do have it though.

The MSX games are on the Vita HD collection too.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Violent By Design wrote:I'm thinking of being a little different. I've ALWAYS wanted to play Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for GBC. I'm assuming it's the same style as the MSX ones.

I just dove into the MSX games, but I played through Ghost Babel a few years ago. Based on my experience, Ghost Babel plays like a 2D version of Metal Gear Solid (i.e., there is a radar, you can crawl under objects, the bosses are insane, etc.) than the MSX games. That said, I really, really enjoyed it, and I consider it one of the very best GBC games.

Also...I never played through the NES version in my youth; so, I fired up the PS2 port of ther MSX original last night. I am enjoying it so far, but it differs significantly from the NES version (which is also very good, IMO). If my experience with Metal Gear (MSX) inspires me, I may also try to play through Metal Gear (NES), Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX), and Snake's Revenge: Metal Gear 2 (NES...because, why not?) before the end of the year. (Since I set down Wario Land: Shake It! to join in this month, and since I am anxious to pick it back up, I doubt I will get through more than one Metal Gear game in February.)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

So the original game is included on Subsistance, not Substance, right? I is confused.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:So the original game is included on Subsistance, not Substance, right? I is confused.

It's included on Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence for PS2, or the 360, PS3 or Vita Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

It's not on the original Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, nor is it on Substance (which is in fact an enhanced Metal Gear Solid 2).
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I just dove into the MSX games, but I played through Ghost Babel a few years ago. Based on my experience, Ghost Babel plays like a 2D version of Metal Gear Solid (i.e., there is a radar, you can crawl under objects, the bosses are insane, etc.) than the MSX games.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake has all that stuff too. I think the big difference for Ghost Babel is that the maps scroll with you instead of being screen-by-screen (necessitating watching the radar closely).
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I tried a couple of times to get into the NES one but I don't make past the first screens somehow (the dogs get me or something). I don't think I ever figured out how to play this one. Maybe I should try again this month on TR as Noise was having so much fun.

I remember reading that the MSX version is quite a bit different from the NES one at least on the start.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Hey, I wanna play this one. How did it take you to beat it Noise?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

isiolia wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I just dove into the MSX games, but I played through Ghost Babel a few years ago. Based on my experience, Ghost Babel plays like a 2D version of Metal Gear Solid (i.e., there is a radar, you can crawl under objects, the bosses are insane, etc.) than the MSX games.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake has all that stuff too. I think the big difference for Ghost Babel is that the maps scroll with you instead of being screen-by-screen (necessitating watching the radar closely).

Awesome! I haven't tried Metal Gear 2, but if plays like Ghost Babel, then I will probably like it a lot.