Together Retro: Metal Gear

Join in on our classic gaming club!
SpaceBooger

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

Post by SpaceBooger »

This is one of the first NES games I ever beat... maybe the first.
I remember there was a part where I needed help and found it in one of the old "Counselors Corner" or "Classified Information" section of Nintendo Power.
It's been so long I don't remember what the mag helped me with... I think it had to do with a computer at the end of the game and maybe a path/pattern?

It's been so long I don't remember much other than I beat the game (Got it as a price mistake at SEARS when it first came out - you couldn't see the ink for the first two digits of the price. My mom asked if the game was really 99 cents and the man said yes that's what is printed.) I think I have to replay this.

Question: how is the saving on the MGS HD collection version?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

SpaceBooger wrote:Question: how is the saving on the MGS HD collection version?

Judging from what I've played, you can save at any time, but it only saves your progress up to the last lift shaft you used. Anything you've done since then will not be saved until you make it to the next one.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

SpaceBooger wrote:This is one of the first NES games I ever beat... maybe the first.
I remember there was a part where I needed help and found it in one of the old "Counselors Corner" or "Classified Information" section of Nintendo Power.
It's been so long I don't remember what the mag helped me with... I think it had to do with a computer at the end of the game and maybe a path/pattern?

It's been so long I don't remember much other than I beat the game (Got it as a price mistake at SEARS when it first came out - you couldn't see the ink for the first two digits of the price. My mom asked if the game was really 99 cents and the man said yes that's what is printed.) I think I have to replay this.

Question: how is the saving on the MGS HD collection version?

Here is the page I was talking about from Nintendo Power #3

Also thanks for the save info. Now I just need to figure out if I want to play the OG on the PS3 HD collection or the NES version...
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

frustration setting in. A couple of stupid one-hit deaths. I agree w/ AJ that losing progress SUCKS. I just got Key 6 and lost it cuz of a really idiotic one-hit kill. :\

But at the same time... this game is just sooooo good. So as frustrating as that scenario is, it's made up for by how much enjoyment I'm getting out of progressing.

As I said earlier, I can't believe how much I've overlooked this series. I feel like this is basically Zelda with guns. I think I probably had ignored Metal Gear because I was never into "military games." But it's just so badass.

EDIT: I feel like maybe I screwed something up. I can't find keycard 7, so I looked a FAQ which said you need to defeat a boss that requires the rocket launcher to obtain it. Problem is the room w/ the rocketlauncher is empty. Apparently I need 4 star rank to get it? I have 3 star. What am I supposed to do from here?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:frustration setting in. A couple of stupid one-hit deaths. I agree w/ AJ that losing progress SUCKS. I just got Key 6 and lost it cuz of a really idiotic one-hit kill. :\

But at the same time... this game is just sooooo good. So as frustrating as that scenario is, it's made up for by how much enjoyment I'm getting out of progressing.

As I said earlier, I can't believe how much I've overlooked this series. I feel like this is basically Zelda with guns. I think I probably had ignored Metal Gear because I was never into "military games." But it's just so badass.

EDIT: I feel like maybe I screwed something up. I can't find keycard 7, so I looked a FAQ which said you need to defeat a boss that requires the rocket launcher to obtain it. Problem is the room w/ the rocketlauncher is empty. Apparently I need 4 star rank to get it? I have 3 star. What am I supposed to do from here?

You get more stars by rescuring hostages. Just go explorign I guess.

I'm at 3 star rank myself, and I'm coming up for the bit where you parachute off the roof.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

noiseredux wrote:frustration setting in. A couple of stupid one-hit deaths. I agree w/ AJ that losing progress SUCKS. I just got Key 6 and lost it cuz of a really idiotic one-hit kill. :\

Did the image I posted help - it tells how to find it for the NES version.
Are you playing the Snake Eater HD one?
BLOG | BST
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

SpaceBooger wrote:Did the image I posted help - it tells how to find it for the NES version.
Are you playing the Snake Eater HD one?

oh I didn't check yr image! Will do so now. :)

I'm playing on PS2 re-release of MGS3.

SB: That's what I did (your spoiler) but it seems in the MSX version you need to be 4 stars for Jennifer to prepare the Rocket Launcher for you. Which means I have to backtrack to find prisoners I missed. :\
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

The section immediately after where I got up to yesterday was much easier, although I still died a few times. I've killed several bosses, listed in a spoiler here:

Shotgun guy, Machine gun guy, Hind D helicopter, Tank and Bulldozer

I've just arrived at building 2 and made my way to the lift in that building so I could save.

The first boss was way harder than the next 3. The difficulty seems to be getting a bit easier over time so far.

Tips for people playing:

Whenever you come across a room with ammo, rations etc in it, go in and out repeatedly. They respawn when you leave, so you can stock up to max any time you find one. You can hold more stuff as you rank up by finding hostages - at level 1 you can have 3 rations, at level 3 you can have 9. Be sure to stock up on plastic explosives, mines and RC missiles whenever you can. They're the most used in boss fights, and the hardest to find ammo for as regular ammo crates dont refill them. Also, it seems likes guards dont randomly drop ammo and rations. From what i can tell, only certain ones do. If you find one of these guys, you can run off screen and back on and kill them over and over. They'll randomly drop rations, ammo or nothing. It's a good way to refill sometimes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alienjesus wrote:Whenever you come across a room with ammo, rations etc in it, go in and out repeatedly. They respawn when you leave, so you can stock up to max any time you find one.

I kept meaning to say the same thing. I discovered this early on and it's very helpful.

Anyway:

8)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

OMG seriously? Big Boss told me to get in a truck. I got in the truck. Now I'm way back earlier and have to backtrap. :\