Together Retro: Metal Gear

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

Post by noiseredux »

emwearz wrote:I own Metal Gear Solid on PS1, Metal Gear Solid 2 on Xbox and Metal Gear Solid 3 on 3DS.

Do any of these contain an unlockable of the original?

nope. It was an extra on the expanded version of 3 on PS2, and is also available on PS3/Vita collections. (Maybe 360 as well?)

Anyway, I just parachuted off the roof. I've been playing this on and off all day. I'm having one of those moments of "wow, I can't believe I never played this on NES back in the day!" I think that if I had, I would be a pretty big fan of the series now. I've dabbled in MGS on PS1 and Ghost Babel on GBC, but this game is just blowing me away and making me think I should really spend more time with the series as a whole.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

dsheinem wrote:
emwearz wrote:Virtual Console it is! :lol:

did you get the non-NES version via VC in AUS?

As far as I know we did not get MSX titles at all, but I will just patch a NTSC-J version and play that.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

emwearz wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
emwearz wrote:Virtual Console it is! :lol:

did you get the non-NES version via VC in AUS?

As far as I know we did not get MSX titles at all, but I will just patch a NTSC-J version and play that.

The Famicom version? Patch it how? It's just as "disowned" as the NES version.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I'll be playing it on the 360 via Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. I've had the version in MGS3:S since it was released (in 2006?) but never got around to playing it. I've never wanted to play the NES version because I knew it wasn't the real, original Metal Gear that was on the MSX.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ok, I'm stuck at a section where a huge tank stops my progress. Diane says I wanna use landmines. I have 8 of them. That doesn't do the trick. I guess I have to backtrack, though I can't for the life of me recall where the heck I'd be able to gather more landmines. :\
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

There were some in a truck, and some in a room on the second floor of building 1 with three sleeping guards. Not sure about that version, but the one on the HD collection seemed to top off all health/resources if you continued a bunch. *cough* I finished the game, having continued a scant 103 times (stupid trap rooms...).
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Played a little way in tonight. Impressed in a way, but finding this a lot more frustrating than I expected. I really suck at this for some reason. I died so many times on the part where you get keycard 2 and the RC Missiles that the game started feeling sorry for me and respawned me with max ammo and rations (plus the RC Missiles which I hadnt picked up yet ¬_¬); To make up for that, I went to the room with the missiles in anyway.

I'm not a fan of losing all progress I've made unless I make it to a lift shaft, even if I save. I'm not a fan of having to take a gas mask off in a room of poison gas to equip a keycard to open the door, forcing me to lose health. I'm not a fan of having to kill a bunch of enemies if I get spotted, rather than finding somewhere to hide. I'm not a fan of having to test each keycard on every door to see which ones work (would've been nice to just 'upgrade' you keycard to work on all appropriate doors).

On the other hand, this is an old, early game in the series (and the genre) and it's quite impressive and polished. The design of the locations hasnt been too bad so far, even though one little screw up can often cause you to die pretty quickly, and then it's back to the last lift again...

I'll stick this one out, it's decent enough. I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements the other 2D Metal Gear games made though;
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

dsheinem wrote:The Famicom version? Patch it how? It's just as "disowned" as the NES version.

Japan got the MSX on their Virtual Console.

If you have the homebrew channel on your console you can just patch VC games to your region and play them.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

How essential is it to play this in english? I can get a MSX2 emulator running easy enough, but not the english patch.

EDIT: S'ok now. Got it working.
Aramonde
128-bit

Post by Aramonde »

I'll look around for a MSX rom and emulator and start this week. If someone knows a good place to get them send me a PM.