Together Retro: Metal Gear

Join in on our classic gaming club!
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Finally had a chance to try this out today. (too much school work lately ;-; )
And I have to say, either this game is pretty difficult, or I'm just not getting something ;-; (or both I suppose)
There are a few spots where I can't see how I could possibly sneak past (like after the gas room), and when I do get spotted, sometimes the guys give up quickly, and sometimes they chase me down until I get a game over. Not sure if there is any rhyme or reason to it.
Also don't like how I restart at the elevator when it's so far away from where I die ;-;

Might have to try again later or something I dunno :/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Lauren, if there is one exclamation mark above their heads, that means you just need to leave the room to escape them. If there's two, that means they called backup and you need to kill some dudes to get free.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

noiseredux wrote:Lauren, if there is one exclamation mark above their heads, that means you just need to leave the room to escape them. If there's two, that means they called backup and you need to kill some dudes to get free.

Ohh... Honestly haven't noticed that >< I usually panic and just try and run away as fast as I can haha
But thanks, I'll try and pay attention to that haha
HellHammer
64-bit

Post by HellHammer »

So I started MG today and have been making my way through the first couple hours. I just got past the 2nd boss, Machine Gun Kid. So far, I am enjoying the game quite a bit! However, I'm playing the Legacy Collection version for PS3, and saving constantly is helping to curb the frustration I feel like I would probably otherwise have with this game.
And honestly, I loooove stuff like
the tracking bug that is planted in your items when you get your inventory back.
I hope to see more of this style of 'wink-wink' stuff as I get further into the game.

Glad I decided to give the MSX version a try!

I've owned the NES version for years, but I've never gotten very far (maybe like 20 minutes in) and I always get frustrated with it and turn it off. I've always loved any of the Kojima games I've played, but the MG port to NES always left a negative impression on me. I also own Snake's Revenge for NES, but I'm not sure I've ever even put it into the system before.

Has anyone had any experience with Snake's Revenge?? How does the 'Konami cash-grab/black-sheep' NES sequel stack up against the 'official Kojima cannon' sequel (MG2:Solid Snake) on MSX?
I'm quite curious as to what to play next!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

So I finally made some actual progress into Metal Gear 2. Knowing where to go next in this game seems much worse than the first, I just trawled around everywhere multiple times in order to make progress.

I've already encountered 2 bits of copy protection, one was a audio code that I needed the manual to decript, and the other was a codec number which was apparently in a screenshot in the manual.

Theres been a lot of familiar elements again. I shot down a Hind D, which I've done in all 3 metal gears I've played so far. The fight is like a 2D version of the one from MGS. I crawled around a minefield to pick up mines, which will be familar to people I'm sure, and one or two of the things I've already mentioned might ring a bell to people too.

I have to take a moment to pay tribute to the absolutely ridiculous stupidness of the running man boss, in concept, design and scenario. He is a very fast mercernary, who runs around a room in a square avoiding you and not attacking. He fills the room with toxic gas to try and kill you. Your gas mask has a time limit, but leaving the room and coming back in means that yo can reset that, and he still has the health he had when you left. As he doesn't attack, the only way you can lose is through stupidity by stepping on your own mines or not leaving when your gas mask runs out. The boss even shows off his skills by performing a quick lap of the building to show you how fast he is. It's not very fast.

Anyhow, I've passed a base, a jungle, a swamp and a desert and arrived in a second building now. I snuck in inside a cardboard box.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

alienjesus wrote:I have to take a moment to pay tribute to the absolutely ridiculous stupidness of the running man boss, in concept, design and scenario.

Well, at least the Running Man is one of the best cards in Metal Gear Acid :P
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Was hoping to beat Metal Gear (NES) over the weekend, but haven't quite finished it yet. My inventory is stacked and I know I'm close so I already have Metal Gear Solid (Bleemcast) on my mind.

The key card system is still frustrating after all these years.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Luke wrote:The key card system is still frustrating after all these years.

:lol:

By the end of the game, I considered Metal Gear a "fumbling with keys" simulator.

"Does the key work? No. How about this one? Nope, not that one. How about this one? Nope..."

There multiple times during the back quarter of the game where I felt like I was opening a hotel room door with a finicky card reader while soldiers ran around frantically trying to shoot me to death.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Started up the MSX version last night, I like the music and feel of the game a lot. It's been a while since I played Metal Gear and I'm struggling a little bit with the best approach to things. I mean that first set of guys guarding that door ... can you defeat them without getting hurt? I don't have any bullets at that point...
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Stark wrote:Started up the MSX version last night, I like the music and feel of the game a lot. It's been a while since I played Metal Gear and I'm struggling a little bit with the best approach to things. I mean that first set of guys guarding that door ... can you defeat them without getting hurt? I don't have any bullets at that point...

The red ones?

Just wait for the shift change. They will leave, and you will be free to go to the elevator.