Together Retro: Metal Gear

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

Post by Stark »

Stuck at the elevator that has a roof, three levels and a basement. I've travelled to several levels and I'm not sure how to progress further. I still have only 2 keycards.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I guess everyone either finished or gave up?

I've gotten started on my third Metal Gear game of the month - Metal Gear Solid for GBC.

Early thoughts:

- This seems to be an alternate timeline to the Metal Gear Solid on PS1. It starts in a similar situation, at a similar time, and seems to follow on directly from Metal Gear 2, just like the PS1 game does.

- This feels a lot more smooth than the MSX games. Snake is pretty sprightly here, and dodging enemies is quite easy.

- This game has the Metal Gear 2 problem of being caught by enemies you can't see on the radar. The radar being so tiny on the GBA screen doesnt help - enemies are literally a single pixel on the radar. Luckily...

- Escaping enemies is really easy in this game. By escaping, I mean running. Enemies rarely shoot, if you're hit you take much less damage than the other games. Getting caught by an enemy in the early parts of Metal Gear 1 or 2 was basically a game over, but here it's barely a concern. Finding somewhere to hide for long enough to stop you being chased is much more hit and miss though - there are few hiding spots, so it often boils down to running circles around crates hoping enemies don't corner you.

- This game is in mission mode. I'm seriously hoping that means the obnoxious backtracking of the other games will be stripped out. Missions seem quick, and finish at logical places.

- Holy crap the intro movie to this game is like 15 minutes long. On a GBC game!

So far, I like it. I'm in mission 3 right now, trying to find a guard with a red hat and ponytail.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

alienjesus wrote:I guess everyone either finished or gave up?

I'm still playing ... no one responded to my question, but I figured it out.

I just defeated the HIND and I parachuted from the roof down into a mess of dogs. Then I got into a truck and it moved and transported me to the beginning of the game. :( Looks like I get to fight my way back up to the roof.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Stark wrote:I just defeated the HIND and I parachuted from the roof down into a mess of dogs. Then I got into a truck and it moved and transported me to the beginning of the game. :( Looks like I get to fight my way back up to the roof.

:lol:

I remember that. Getting back to the roof is not too bad though once you know where you are going, however.

PRO-TIP: Other than the truck in the desert - which contains rations! - it is best to avoid getting in trucks for the rest of the game.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Stark wrote:

I just defeated the HIND and I parachuted from the roof down into a mess of dogs. Then I got into a truck and it moved and transported me to the beginning of the game. :( Looks like I get to fight my way back up to the roof.

Thats exactly what I did :(
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

alienjesus wrote:
Stark wrote:

Thats exactly what I did :(

"Gotcha!" ~Hideo Kojima

MGS for the GBC sounds really cool, I've owned it for a while, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Is this a game that Kojima has removed from the canon?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Stark wrote:
MGS for the GBC sounds really cool, I've owned it for a while, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Is this a game that Kojima has removed from the canon?

Pretty sure it was non-canon from the outset, as it seems to be an alternate timeline to the PS1 Metal Gear Solid.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

A bit late to it, but I've been playing. 3 star rank, defeated the Machine Gun boss, now on the roof.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I really want to start it and see if I can finish it with the forum's help, but I'm still "stuck" on Ogre Battle (that game is a time sink...). Considering prioritizing Metal Gear instead as apparently I can finish it in some hours?

Maybe next weekend then.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:PRO-TIP: Other than the truck in the desert - which contains rations! - it is best to avoid getting in trucks for the rest of the game.

yeah. Even if someone tells you to get in a truck, don't do it.

I know from experience dude.