Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Lemmings

by noiseredux Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 pm

I started the DOS version last night. I only beat three levels so far. The first two2 were extremely easy, and then the third was easy enough until I had all my Lemmings safe except the Blockers... I kept trying to "unclick" them so I could get them to safety as well. But it seems you have to just sacrifice a few of them, yeah? I blew them up but still had 90% of them safe so made it on to the next level.

I found a copy of the DOS manual online, and while it's very cute with its hand-drawings, it's not especially helpful to teach you what each icon means. (What does the little +50 and -50 mean for instance? What's the icon that looks like footprints?)

Anyway, I think I've heard that there's 100 levels in the original game. So it seems like a good game to sustain for a month by just doing a few levels a day.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:06 pm

I was thinking of ordering the Genesis version, however, in my research I came across this.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/586283-lemmings/59818386

In a nutshell, the Genesis version has 39 exclusive levels! However, it's actually missing 42 levels from the original, making it a very different game anyway. The Commodore 64 also got a neat port, and has those fantastic SID chip tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rUer1gSo1c#t=45

So I don't know what version to get now. Might just get the PC version.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:14 pm

noiseredux wrote:I started the DOS version last night. I only beat three levels so far. The first two2 were extremely easy, and then the third was easy enough until I had all my Lemmings safe except the Blockers... I kept trying to "unclick" them so I could get them to safety as well. But it seems you have to just sacrifice a few of them, yeah? I blew them up but still had 90% of them safe so made it on to the next level.

I found a copy of the DOS manual online, and while it's very cute with its hand-drawings, it's not especially helpful to teach you what each icon means. (What does the little +50 and -50 mean for instance? What's the icon that looks like footprints?)

Anyway, I think I've heard that there's 100 levels in the original game. So it seems like a good game to sustain for a month by just doing a few levels a day.

Once you block you can't "unblock" - they must be sacrificed. So be careful.

The + and - icons refer to the speed at which the Lemmings are dropped out of their trapdoor. You are allowed to increase it up to 99, but you cannot decrease it down past the starting value.

The footprints are "pause" (or "paws".... get it? :lol: )...

Also, I'm almost certain there are 120 levels (30 in each of the 4 difficulties). At least for the PC version.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:05 pm

PC version has 30 levels in 4 difficulties making 120 levels. The SNES port has 5 exclusive levels of "Sunsoft" difficulty, which are harder than Mayhem level.

Genesis port also has exclusive levels? Might have to look into that.

Got to Fun 25 in about an hour. I remembered all that pretty good after many years! I really don't like Fun 23, the BEAST of a level!

Setting the release rate to 99 is good if you have a clear path for everything :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Currently at Tricky - level 15.

As you can see, many of the later levels have the same design as earlier ones, but you're granted different abilities to assign to the lemmings:

Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Gonna see if I can get this running on a Snes emulator on my Surface with a wired 360 controller...

Wish me luck.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Good luck! You don't wanna just go with a DOS version with mouse support? :lol:
skate323k137
Next-Gen

by skate323k137 Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Oh man, such a fun game. I probably wasted months of my life playing this as a kid. If I get bored with gigawing perhaps I'll try to dosbox this.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:19 am

man I hate these passwords.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:47 am

Not sure if I'll play this but if I do I'll try to locate a download of the Christmas version.

Unfortunately there isn't an iOS port of Lemmings. A touchscreen would have been a great interface to play the game with.
Return to Together Retro