Together Retro: PaRappa The Rapper

Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Together Retro: PaRappa The Rapper

Post by racketboy »

Kick! Punch! It’s all in the mind! This month’s Together Retro is a rappin’ good time!
http://www.racketboy.com/together-retro ... the-rapper
RadRad

Re: Together Retro: PaRappa The Rapper

Post by RadRad »

Long-time reader of the site, and I just joined this forum to talk about this game!

I LOVE this game! And I feel like this is a good venue to really geek over it.

I can easily say this game is my number ONE favorite game of all time.
I still tinkering with numbers 2-5 (probably till the day I die), but number 1 will always remain the same.

Parappa the Rapper.

As I reviewed it on my dumb blog: http://pizzatalks.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... pper-game/
"This is the video game equivalent to a slice a pizza.
An interactive, floppy slice of pizza.
So good, that you want to reach through your screen and eat it.

★★★★★"

I like pizza, and I like Parappa the Rapper.
Parappa the Rapper is Pizza: The Video Game.

Its a world I would love to hang-out in if I could.
Major thanks to the artwork by Rodney Alan Greenblat, each and every little detail makes this game come to life.
Its a game about character and characters.

I've played it recently on the Vita, which the colors are blindingly phenomenal, and I would say completely holds up today.
And there are only a few of games that have matched the charm of this unique jewel.
I would almost say, none have topped it.

To this day, I still hope for a Parappa the Rapper 3.
I wish Masaya Matsuura would take the Mighty No. 9 route and just Kickstart it.
I would like to think they still want to make another one, or something similar.
As Parappa would say "I Gotta Believe!"
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I played the 1997 demo from the Underground disc, well, back in 1997 :lol: I sucked at it. Then I got into DDR and its related games, and as I re-attempt this again, my sense of timing should be somewhat improved. Ready to give this a go.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Nice I got this for the PSP, I assume it is the same game as the PS1 version?
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I have this on PSP too, I love the videos. As a rhythm game I don't like it much though. The bar on top is way to small, especially on PSP. At least on my version, the beats I'm supposed to hit aren't synched perfectly with the rapping. Feels like a crapshoot usually.

Surprisingly challenging though, even when it's working. I expected one of the earliest rhythm games to be easier, but it's harder than most "Extreme" songs on Project Diva Extend. Never approaches DJ Max or Bemani though.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

crap, when I heard it was on PSN, I figured I'd just download. But turns out the PSN version is PSP/Vita only. :(
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

ExedExes wrote:I played the 1997 demo from the Underground disc, well, back in 1997 :lol: I sucked at it. Then I got into DDR and its related games, and as I re-attempt this again, my sense of timing should be somewhat improved. Ready to give this a go.

The best way to play is too actually freestyle some extra commands on top of the rhythm. Being precise to the rhythm can be tough so a timely remix should boost some scores!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:crap, when I heard it was on PSN, I figured I'd just download. But turns out the PSN version is PSP/Vita only. :(

Huh, that's really odd.

I'm still trying to get my version sorted, but I'll be joining in on this thread properly soon enough.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

alienjesus wrote:
noiseredux wrote:crap, when I heard it was on PSN, I figured I'd just download. But turns out the PSN version is PSP/Vita only. :(

Huh, that's really odd.

There was an official PSP port/remake, and the PSN version is probably a download of that.

Don't know why the original version isn't on PSOne classics, after all, UmJammer Lammy is there...
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Started playing this last night...stuck on the second stage. This game has the same issue that I had with Space Channel 5. I feel like my inputs are just a bit off from the beat and rhythm. If I wait just a fraction of a second after, it tends to work right, but if I do it right on it seems to miss.

I completed this game a loooong time ago and both it and its sequel had the same issue. It takes some time to get use to that, but I love the game none the less.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.