Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Re: Together Retro 2014 Nominations & Discussion Thread

by Ack Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:25 am

As someone who still goes back to play it, you all need to play Castle of the Winds.

No, seriously. I grew up on this game. One of the first CD-ROMs I ever owned was a collection of Epic MegaGames games that included Castle of the Winds. Despite having the likes of Ken's Labyrinth, Jill of the Jungle, Solar Winds, Dare 2 Dream, and more, it was Castle of the Winds that I returned to. I have beaten the game numerous times and yet still feel the urge to download and play it. Few games have held my attention to such a degree, and it helped interest me in the RPG genre as a whole.

It's simplistic, it can be cryptic, and at times it is very unforgiving. But Castle of the Winds remains a favorite of 1980s computer RPGs, and you all need to give it a spin. I want to know how many of you make it through the mine, and how many of you will slay the four Jotun kings and eventually Surtur and sit upon his throne.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:RPG - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - PSP, Vita, Steam (will be out by then). An RPG by Falcom, the company behind Ys. It's supposed to have one of the best stories of this generation, and combat is more strategic than most jRPGs. The sequel has been announced for English localization. Older game should run on everyone's PCs.

+1 for......

ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Ack wrote:As someone who still goes back to play it, you all need to play Castle of the Winds.

No, seriously. I grew up on this game. One of the first CD-ROMs I ever owned was a collection of Epic MegaGames games that included Castle of the Winds. Despite having the likes of Ken's Labyrinth, Jill of the Jungle, Solar Winds, Dare 2 Dream, and more, it was Castle of the Winds that I returned to. I have beaten the game numerous times and yet still feel the urge to download and play it. Few games have held my attention to such a degree, and it helped interest me in the RPG genre as a whole.

It's simplistic, it can be cryptic, and at times it is very unforgiving. But Castle of the Winds remains a favorite of 1980s computer RPGs, and you all need to give it a spin. I want to know how many of you make it through the mine, and how many of you will slay the four Jotun kings and eventually Surtur and sit upon his throne.

Good man! COTW is great, it's free, and it's the roguelike you all want to play this year. Sadly, the Falcom contigent and that Legend of Heroes is strong. The one who nominated it said it was available on Steam, but not the first game in the series. The Second Chapter is going to be on there eventually, but there's no release date, so it would be just the PSP as the only English port of the first game available. One port game? No thanks :lol:

(that means vote COTW for the low low price of free)

I'm not the only one who remembers Dare To Dream either now it seems. That's one heck of a point and click adventure. Would it be nomination worthy? :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

by Violent By Design Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Hey wait a second, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is a PSP game. How is that retro :shock:? That's gonna open up a can of worms if we allow that, no?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Violent By Design wrote:Hey wait a second, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is a PSP game. How is that retro :shock:? That's gonna open up a can of worms if we allow that, no?

*looks*

Somehow I missed that. 2004 (original) 2011 (translated version)

Not exactly retro. :? I think we need a cutoff point. The newest game ever played in TR was Super Monkey Ball, correct?
Last edited by ExedExes on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:00 pm

let me remind you all that Ultima IV is also free via GOG.

And it looks cooler than whatever the heck is going on in the game that Ack and Exed want to play:

Seriously, where's that guy's legs?
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:02 pm

noiseredux wrote:let me remind you all that Ultima IV is also free via GOG.

And it looks cooler than whatever the heck is going on in the game that Ack and Exed want to play:

That's a picture of Venice and he's thigh-high in some water.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:03 pm

You know, you can change the icon of the character. I think they have fan-redesigned ones out now.
Ack

by Ack Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:14 pm

ExedExes wrote:

You know, you can change the icon of the character. I think they have fan-redesigned ones out now.

I actually modified one of the monsters to be my icon in the game. I played as the bandit the whole time.

And noise, are you really criticizing CotW for its looks and then praising Ultima IV? Doesn't that game use stick figures? Oh well, it's not as good as Akalabeth anyway. Why don't you grow a pair and play a REAL Ultima?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:21 pm

While I would like to play Trails in the Sky, isn't it a bit too recent for together retro?
Return to Together Retro