Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2014 Nominations & Discussion Thread

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:54 pm

alienjesus wrote:not only do most europeans not give a shit about basketball, american football and baseball, but actually, a lot of the games arent that easy to find here, and particularly with the older ones, never came out here at all.

That's why I suggested Track & Field. :wink:

I like the Virtua Tennis idea too.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Stark wrote:I think people should play The Longest Journey, but I think that is only available via PC.

I'd back this for sure.

Anyhow, I'm gonna try to keep track of the nominations again like I normally do. The first year I did it, I only kept track of if a game had been nominated and if anyone had +1'd it, which wasn't very specific. Last year, I tried to keep a running tally of who voted for what, but it was difficult to identify who had already voted, whether something was a +1 or not, and I also had people questioning my totals.

This year, I'm more organised. I'll be updating this Google Docs spreadsheet daily. Any game nominated will be added, any game +1'd will have you name added next to it so I can keep track of exactly who +1s what. Games that potentially fit in more than one genre have their names in red, and will only have names recorded next to 1 of those genres (whichever one I think is more appropriate, because its my spreadsheet, so nurr).
If your name is listed anywhere with a ? beside it, I wasnt totally clear if it was a +1. If you see your name anywhere it shouldn't be, tell me and I'll remove it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqx2fMkZ1rzAdHlqR3JCX3NtUkhRbXNwazc3QVQ1TkE&usp=sharing

One question with regards to organising it - I have roguelikes in their own section right now, but I kinda feel they should just be included under RPG. Any thoughts?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:23 pm

alienjesus wrote:One question with regards to organising it - I have roguelikes in their own section right now, but I kinda feel they should just be included under RPG. Any thoughts?

That's the way I had my list put together. Keep them with the RPGs. We've got enough genres to pick from.

noiseredux wrote:Just because a game is "bad" doesn't mean it's not enjoyable, interesting or have its place in video gaming history. There are a lot of "bad" games out there that I enjoy a lot.

All I'm seeing is stuff like ET and Shaq Fu. To dedicate a month to games that were poorly designed, nearly unplayable, or universally hated is a waste. I actually *like* ET, but I'm not gonna sit down and play that for a month.

Any word on my idea for a Capcom 4x fantasy/medieval beat em up month putting AJ's and my nominations together? King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Tower of Doom, Shadow Over Mystara? The first 2 are on a volume of the Capcom Classics Collection, and the other 2 can be found together on Steam.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:29 pm

I don't think there's an expectation to play a game for a whole month. More like you have a month-long window to play/discuss a particular game. So if you don't want to start until week three that's okay. That's my interpretation at least.

But yeah, broken down messes of games aren't a great idea. I'd be fine with one offbeat/weird "kusoge" title but choosing something like Superman 64 would just be unwise.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:46 pm

How about a Monster World game?

Wonder Boy in Monster Land-SMS, Arcade (Xbox Live, PSN?)

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap/Dragon's Curse-SMS, GG, TG-16 (Wii VC)

Wonder Boy in Monster World-SMS, GEN, Xbox Live (PSN?)

Monster World IV-MD, Wii VC, Xbox Live, PSN

My vote would be for Monster World IV.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Noticed I'd missed Tektoros suggestions on page 2, so added them. Combined RPG & Roguelike too. Add Monster World.

Just a note - please dont edit new suggestions into your old posts, make a new post for them. It'll make my job much easier. No ones done it yet, but I'm pre-empting it.

Pierrot, all the monster world games are available on Wii VC too - WB in Monster Land in both its SMS and Arcade incarnations, WB3 in both its SMS and TG16 forms, WB in Monster World in its Mega Drive and TG16 versions and MW4 fully translated.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:10 pm

Those Monster World games always look awesome to me. Any relation to Adventure Island? They always look similar, but better... I think.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Xeogred wrote:Those Monster World games always look awesome to me. Any relation to Adventure Island? They always look similar, but better... I think.

This is a long and complicated question to answer :lol:

I'd read this: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wonder ... derboy.htm

You may need a pen and paper to take notes.

Long story short though, the first wonder boy game is the same game as Adventure Island. All the later Wonder Boy games (including all of the ones Pierrot listed) are not related to Adventure Island at all.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:57 pm

of the stuff mentioned by other folks, I'm behind:

Deus Ex
Loom
Monster World (any)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:08 pm

So, here's my attempt to dazzle you with numbers so that you'll all vote for Shock Troopers!

Shock Troopers is a smooth, fast paced run n gun that feels just perfect. The game is grea to just pick up and play, and is the perfect length for a single session.

"But if it's so short, how will it last us a whole month!?" I hear you cry.

Well, Shock Troopers has a few tricks up it's sleeve. First off, the game has 3 seperate routes to the final boss. Each has unique levels, and you can switch between each route at any point to play the equivalent level in any other route - so you could do mountain route level 1,2 and 3, then jungle route levels 4 & 5. With 3 levels to choose from each time, that makes for 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 possible routes thought the game. 3 to the power of 5, or 243 possible courses through the game!

"But AJ, I'm not sure a three digit integer is a big enough number to satisfy by need for ridiculous numbers of options!"

Well worry not friends, because Shock Troopers also features a wonderful mode called 'Team Mode' where you choose 3 different characters to take through the game. You can switch between them at will, and they each count as one of your three lives. With a choice of 8 unique characters, that means you have a total of 8*7*6 possible teams, or 336 possible playstyle combinations to get through the game with. Plus you can just choose one character and go Lone Wolf if you like, giving you a further 8 choices, bringing the total to 344

344 character combinations multiplied by 243 courses through the game gives you 83,592 possible ways to experience this fantastic game!

Don't pass it up, everyone +1 Shock Troopers ASAP! :wink:
Return to Together Retro