Join in on our classic gaming club!
SpaceBooger

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by SpaceBooger Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:06 am

noiseredux wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:I just need instructions on how to get PSO running on my PC (not sure if they've been posted yet) and I'm good to go. Got a 360 controller.

The two major servers are Schthack and Ultima. Schthack seems to be the more popular one, but I think I'm going to actually go with Ultima for this, as the Schthack install seems to make AVG go crazy. I've done some Googling, and it appears that AVG finds a false-positive it doesn't like, and while that may be true, I don't like the idea of making anti-virus exceptions. So if anyone else is interested on playing on the Ultima server this coming month all info you need is at phantasystaronline.net.

I have Schthack installed. We need to decide which one we are using so we can get ready. I'm pumped for this game.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 am

SpaceBooger wrote:I have Schthack installed. We need to decide which one we are using so we can get ready. I'm pumped for this game.

I uninstalled my Schthack. Honestly, even if I'm assured it's a false-positive, I just built this PC a couple months ago and seeing AVG flag it as having a trojan scared the crap out of me. So I'm leaning towards Ultima myself. I mean, we can obviously have some guys playing on Schthack and some on Ultima I guess. To each his own.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 pm

noiseredux wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:I have Schthack installed. We need to decide which one we are using so we can get ready. I'm pumped for this game.

I uninstalled my Schthack. Honestly, even if I'm assured it's a false-positive, I just built this PC a couple months ago and seeing AVG flag it as having a trojan scared the crap out of me. So I'm leaning towards Ultima myself. I mean, we can obviously have some guys playing on Schthack and some on Ultima I guess. To each his own.

What's the diff?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Stark wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

What's the diff?

Noise's AVG said Schthack had a virus, Avira (which I use) did not. I think they both are the same program just different servers. I just downloaded Ultima so I will double check this later.
It would be cool if we all use the same server to play together.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Yeah I would think we'd want to be on the same one. How many can participate at a time?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Stark wrote:Yeah I would think we'd want to be on the same one. How many can participate at a time?

I think the parties are max of 4 at a time. Though I'm not sure. I've never played with more than 2 other people at a time before.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:39 pm

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm in a time crunch this coming month.....

Anyone know of any good walkthroughs (for the offline version) of PSO?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:47 pm

well damn, it turns out the Ultima version makes AVG flip out too. So it's the BB program itself, not the server. This is apparently a known issue:

http://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum ... /?hl=virus

I don't like the idea of turning my antivirus off to play the game. Maybe I should switch to something other than AVG if anyone has any good suggestions?
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:47 pm

noiseredux wrote:well damn, it turns out the Ultima version makes AVG flip out too. So it's the BB program itself, not the server. This is apparently a known issue:

http://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum ... /?hl=virus

I don't like the idea of turning my antivirus off to play the game. Maybe I should switch to something other than AVG if anyone has any good suggestions?

I use Avira (free) and it seems to be one of the least resource heavy free program. It does have pop-up ads asking you to buy it when it updates but that is not too annoying for such a smooth running program.
BLOG | BST
Return to Together Retro