Join in on our classic gaming club!
User avatar
SpaceBooger
Moderator
 
Posts: 4039
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 am
Location: The AK-Rowdy

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by SpaceBooger Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:06 am

noiseredux wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:I just need instructions on how to get PSO running on my PC (not sure if they've been posted yet) and I'm good to go. Got a 360 controller.


The two major servers are Schthack and Ultima. Schthack seems to be the more popular one, but I think I'm going to actually go with Ultima for this, as the Schthack install seems to make AVG go crazy. I've done some Googling, and it appears that AVG finds a false-positive it doesn't like, and while that may be true, I don't like the idea of making anti-virus exceptions. So if anyone else is interested on playing on the Ultima server this coming month all info you need is at phantasystaronline.net.

I have Schthack installed. We need to decide which one we are using so we can get ready. I'm pumped for this game.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37868
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by noiseredux Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 am

SpaceBooger wrote:I have Schthack installed. We need to decide which one we are using so we can get ready. I'm pumped for this game.


I uninstalled my Schthack. Honestly, even if I'm assured it's a false-positive, I just built this PC a couple months ago and seeing AVG flag it as having a trojan scared the crap out of me. So I'm leaning towards Ultima myself. I mean, we can obviously have some guys playing on Schthack and some on Ultima I guess. To each his own.
Image
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9578
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by Stark Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 pm

noiseredux wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:I have Schthack installed. We need to decide which one we are using so we can get ready. I'm pumped for this game.


I uninstalled my Schthack. Honestly, even if I'm assured it's a false-positive, I just built this PC a couple months ago and seeing AVG flag it as having a trojan scared the crap out of me. So I'm leaning towards Ultima myself. I mean, we can obviously have some guys playing on Schthack and some on Ultima I guess. To each his own.

What's the diff?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
SpaceBooger
Moderator
 
Posts: 4039
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 am
Location: The AK-Rowdy

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by SpaceBooger Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Stark wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:I have Schthack installed. We need to decide which one we are using so we can get ready. I'm pumped for this game.


I uninstalled my Schthack. Honestly, even if I'm assured it's a false-positive, I just built this PC a couple months ago and seeing AVG flag it as having a trojan scared the crap out of me. So I'm leaning towards Ultima myself. I mean, we can obviously have some guys playing on Schthack and some on Ultima I guess. To each his own.

What's the diff?

Noise's AVG said Schthack had a virus, Avira (which I use) did not. I think they both are the same program just different servers. I just downloaded Ultima so I will double check this later.
It would be cool if we all use the same server to play together.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9578
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by Stark Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Yeah I would think we'd want to be on the same one. How many can participate at a time?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37868
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by noiseredux Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Stark wrote:Yeah I would think we'd want to be on the same one. How many can participate at a time?


I think the parties are max of 4 at a time. Though I'm not sure. I've never played with more than 2 other people at a time before.
Image
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9578
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by Stark Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18903
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm in a time crunch this coming month.....

Anyone know of any good walkthroughs (for the offline version) of PSO?
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37868
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by noiseredux Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:47 pm

well damn, it turns out the Ultima version makes AVG flip out too. So it's the BB program itself, not the server. This is apparently a known issue:

http://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum ... /?hl=virus

I don't like the idea of turning my antivirus off to play the game. Maybe I should switch to something other than AVG if anyone has any good suggestions?
Image
User avatar
SpaceBooger
Moderator
 
Posts: 4039
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 am
Location: The AK-Rowdy

Re: 2014 Together Retro Calendar

by SpaceBooger Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:47 pm

noiseredux wrote:well damn, it turns out the Ultima version makes AVG flip out too. So it's the BB program itself, not the server. This is apparently a known issue:

http://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum ... /?hl=virus

I don't like the idea of turning my antivirus off to play the game. Maybe I should switch to something other than AVG if anyone has any good suggestions?

I use Avira (free) and it seems to be one of the least resource heavy free program. It does have pop-up ads asking you to buy it when it updates but that is not too annoying for such a smooth running program.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest