Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2014 Nominations & Discussion Thread

Post by alienjesus »

Stark wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Shadow of the Beast

DAT BOX ART

If there's one thing we can agree on, it's that Psygnosis had some of the best box art ever. Not that we don't see eye to eye on things usually ... it's just a saying ... you know what I mean.

I nominate:
Title: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
Genre: Adventure
Ports: PC (via GOG or Steam), iOS, DS, GBA, PSX, Wii

One of the best point-and-click games of the era. Gorgeous, hand-drawn animations, good storytelling and voice acting, and challenging puzzles this game has everything an adventure game needs!

I nominated this last year, but it's already been played as part of Together Retro before unfortunately.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

alienjesus wrote:I nominated this last year, but it's already been played as part of Together Retro before unfortunately.

Ah I must have missed it.

I think people should play The Longest Journey, but I think that is only available via PC.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Way to nominate a game we already played for TR, stark. Keep up the good work, buddy!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

alienjesus wrote:I nominated this last year, but it's already been played as part of Together Retro before unfortunately.

Broken Sword was one of the TR games that came about because Racket emailed me on the 30th and asked what our game was for the next month so I decided to grab a title out of my list of games that that every gamer should play. Ah the early days of Together Retro when we chose things at random the night before.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:Way to nominate a game we already played for TR, stark. Keep up the good work, buddy!

Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Have we ever intentionally nominated really bad games? You know, infamous stuff like Bubsy, Pit Fighter, Shaq Fu, Big Rigs, etc. That might be something interesting to try...
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

AppleQueso wrote:Have we ever intentionally nominated really bad games? You know, infamous stuff like Bubsy, Pit Fighter, Shaq Fu, Big Rigs, etc. That might be something interesting to try...

The original idea of TR was to play games that are good but lesser known. But we have played all over the map so heck nominate them. Id gladly play Shaq Fu or Daikatana again.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

fastbilly1 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Have we ever intentionally nominated really bad games? You know, infamous stuff like Bubsy, Pit Fighter, Shaq Fu, Big Rigs, etc. That might be something interesting to try...

The original idea of TR was to play games that are good but lesser known. But we have played all over the map so heck nominate them. Id gladly play Shaq Fu or Daikatana again.

:lol:

I was going to toss out Urban Yeti and Tecmo Secret of the Stars, but now that I'm on the spot I can't really think of a good description for why anyone should want to play them.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

AppleQueso wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:

:lol:

I was going to toss out Urban Yeti and Tecmo Secret of the Stars, but now that I'm on the spot I can't really think of a good description for why anyone should want to play them.

I would be in for this, and I think it would be a lot of fun. We could just do one month where we play through a few selected notoriously bad games and share our thoughts on them. No one would be expected to complete any of them, but it would be interesting to see who does and to compare notes on why the games are so bad...or why the games' bad reputations are unearned.

For "bad game" month, I would nominate:

E.T. (2600);
Pac-Man (2600)
Bible Adventures (NES);
Pit Fighter (SNES);
Ultraman (SNES);
Superman (N64);
Fugitive Hunter (PS2); and last...but certainly not least...

Ballz 3D (GEN/SNES).

Given Ballz popularity on the forum, it is kind of a shame that it has never been selected as a "Together Retro" title...

EDIT: I am certain that there are more legendarily bad games out there, but we should probably limit the discussion to five games so that everyone is playing the same thing.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

fastbilly1 wrote:

The original idea of TR was to play games that are good but lesser known.

I feel like nominating games that are good but lesser known, but also have a lot of different ports to play is really hard to come up with games for.