2014 Together Retro Calendar

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2014 Nominations & Discussion Thread

Post by noiseredux »

I like the bad game idea. That could be April (Fool's)...

Something else to consider: In the past we've done several sports games. We did World Series 95 and NBA Jam. Perhaps we should consider another classic sports title?
Flake

Post by Flake »

Tecmo Super Bowl?
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Flake wrote:Tecmo Super Bowl?

That's definitely a good one. I had thought of Madden of course, or NFL Blitz. Tecmo is so awesome though.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Blades of Steel would be fun too.

So would the Konami track & field games.

Isn't the very first Madden game only on computers (PC-DOS, C64, Apple II)?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Does Super Dodge Ball count as a "sports" game?
Flake

Post by Flake »

AppleQueso wrote:Does Super Dodge Ball count as a "sports" game?

Survival Horror
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Isn't the very first Madden game only on computers (PC-DOS, C64, Apple II)?

I'm not too up on the history. The first "major" one I feel aware of was on Genesis... Madden 93 maybe is it?

Hey what about Golf? Besides something like Mario Golf which was all Nintendo systems or Hot Shots Golf which was all Sony systems, there must be a good retro golf game that had a lot of ports? Maybe Pebble Beach or PGA or something?

Golf would be the sort of sports game where we could all compete w/ each other for score.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I'm not on board with a bad game month. We've got enough genres and enough games, and having that would remove a whole genre list of good nominated games. Plus, why waste time and money playing a game we know is terrible?

fastbilly1 wrote:The original idea of TR was to play games that are good but lesser known.

That was the mission, correct? Good games.

Stark wrote:I feel like nominating games that are good but lesser known, but also have a lot of different ports to play is really hard to come up with games for.

It's not that difficult, really. The games I picked have many ports, and I think those that have more ports should be weighted more greatly. I've seen nominations that only have 3 ports. The ones I picked that didn't have a lot of ports were mainly because they're for the PC which most people have and are easy to obtain or download for cheap/free.

noiseredux wrote:Perhaps we should consider another classic sports title?

The reason I didn't nominate anything like that is, you play a game from like one year of a series and it gets old pretty quick. I'd rather a game that you can stick with for more than a week. THPS 2 was great because it had good length. I like the racing games we've picked because again, they'll last a while.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ExedExes wrote:I'm not on board with a bad game month. We've got enough genres and enough games, and having that would remove a whole genre list of good nominated games. Plus, why waste time and money playing a game we know is terrible?

Just because a game is "bad" doesn't mean it's not enjoyable, interesting or have its place in video gaming history. There are a lot of "bad" games out there that I enjoy a lot.

The reason I didn't nominate anything like that is, you play a game from like one year of a series and it gets old pretty quick. I'd rather a game that you can stick with for more than a week. THPS 2 was great because it had good length. I like the racing games we've picked because again, they'll last a while.

I don't really follow... if we were to pick something like Madden for instance, you have a whole season to get through in a month.