Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2014 Nominations & Discussion Thread

Post by Stark »

+1 Shock Troopers
+1 Phantasmagoria
+1 Wonder Boy (not the first one)
+1 Solomon's Key
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I'll throw stuff out, most unported though, so would have to be MAME:

Beat 'em ups:

Powered Gear:
3p game where you play as a robot,, limited weapon supplies, super combos:

Legend of Silk Road:

Denjin Makai II

SHMUPS:
Armed Police Batrider:

Hot Dog Storm:

Sengeki Striker:

Fighters:
The Killing Blade:

Warzard:

Rumble Fish 2
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:of the stuff mentioned by other folks, I'm behind:

Deus Ex

Awesome! *internet high fives* If all my other picks fail, I'd want DE to go through. Such a great game. AJ, make sure you get that endorsement :lol:

Monster World is an interesting choice. Of course, it also has the most infamous naming issues of any video game series (as AJ linked the HG101 article trying to explain it)
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I played one of the three story paths of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and it took about 60 hours. Might be tough to do in a month.

My suggestions:

RPG - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - PSP, Vita, Steam (will be out by then). An RPG by Falcom, the company behind Ys. It's supposed to have one of the best stories of this generation, and combat is more strategic than most jRPGs. The sequel has been announced for English localization. Older game should run on everyone's PCs.

Shmup - Hydorah - PC
A freeware PC shooter. My pathetic laptop can run it. Horizontally scrolling, a cross between R-Type and Gradius. Some of the most beautiful pixel animation I've ever seen, enchanting soundtrack, meticulously designed levels that should challenge everyone. Top tier game!

FPS - Unreal Tournament - PC
A classic arena shooter that everyone can play online together. Should run on everyone's PCs, even if they're ten years old.

Adventure - Valkyrie no Densetsu - Arcade/MAME, PC Engine, PS1
Top-down adventure game, with swords, spears, magic, and jumping. A real classic in Japanese arcades. There's a two player mode, but the second player will be a frog with a sword instead of a smoking hot death goddess. An English version was released in Namco Museum Vol. 5 for Playstation.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

alienjesus wrote:Pierrot, all the monster world games are available on Wii VC too - WB in Monster Land in both its SMS and Arcade incarnations, WB3 in both its SMS and TG16 forms, WB in Monster World in its Mega Drive and TG16 versions and MW4 fully translated.

Is that just the EU shop, or the US shop, also? I didn't think those SMS versions were on the VC in the US. I forgot about Dynastic Hero being on the VC, though.

Also, I like everything Mike is nominating, but I don't think I have any way of actually playing any of it other than Batrider.
Last edited by pierrot on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Sports: California Games or T&C Surf. (Nes)

Horror:Dino Crisis (PS1,DC) & Alone in the Dark (available on many formats).
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:

RPG - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - PSP, Vita, Steam (will be out by then). An RPG by Falcom, the company behind Ys. It's supposed to have one of the best stories of this generation, and combat is more strategic than most jRPGs. The sequel has been announced for English localization. Older game should run on everyone's PCs.

FPS - Unreal Tournament - PC
A classic arena shooter that everyone can play online together. Should run on everyone's PCs, even if they're ten years old.

Adventure - Valkyrie no Densetsu - Arcade/MAME, PC Engine, PS1
Top-down adventure game, with swords, spears, magic, and jumping. A real classic in Japanese arcades. There's a two player mode, but the second player will be a frog with a sword instead of a smoking hot death goddess. An English version was released in Namco Museum Vol. 5 for Playstation.
'

I like these.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'll +1 Trails in the Sky. I know I had a blast with Ys when we did that, so another Falcom game would interest me. (Even if it means beating out my own Ultima IV nomination).

And now and nomination...

Eternal Champtions (fighting)

Why: A cool 2D fighter that isn't Capcom, SNK or Mortal Kombat? It was Sega's 2D fighter that SHOULD have spawned a much bigger series, but sadly the move to 3D within the industry meant that titles like Virtua Fighter sold far better. This is a bit of a cult-classic if you were a Sega fan during that period, and it's now available in enough places to make it easily attainable.

(Note, the Sega CD game is technically a sequel though it's a bit like going from say Street Fighter IV to Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, and would be a perfectly acceptable "port.")

Versions: Genesis, Sega CD, PC/Steam, Wii Virtual Console
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

+1 Lost Vikings

This is a fantastic hidden gem. It was developed by Blizzard before they were Blizzard. You guys are really going to like this one.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

ExedExes wrote:Any word on my idea for a Capcom 4x fantasy/medieval beat em up month putting AJ's and my nominations together? King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Tower of Doom, Shadow Over Mystara? The first 2 are on a volume of the Capcom Classics Collection, and the other 2 can be found together on Steam.

+1 Capcom Beat 'em up Month.
mjmjr25 wrote:Powered Gear
This would also fit nicely into Capcom Beat 'em up Month.

Opa Opa wrote:Ikaruga

+1 Ikaruga. I don't even consider myself a hardcore shmup fan, but I love Ikaruga.

Sload Soap wrote:Alien Soldier

+1 Alien Soldier. I love anything made by Treasure.