Together Retro: Road Rash

Join in on our classic gaming club!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Road Rash

Post by ExedExes »

From my experience, the second game is probably the best. Heck of a lot more bikes available, too.

On the first RR. Worked through Level 1, now on the second series of courses. Skipped the $7000 bike and went right to the $8000. Good power, but steering is pretty bad, causes a lot of sliding off the bike way too often, but now I can place first on these races at least.

I should be getting Jailbreak in the next day or two, I'll be playing that alongside the others.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Level 2 and the 7 mile courses are finished. The green Kamikaze bike is the way to beat it. Two things I've always found fun with this game, and they both occur at the finish.

The winning celebration cut short by a parked car -

Also if you're close enough to the finish after a crash, who said you have to ride to the end?

Finally, a little something arrived today -

So I will be playing that alongside the other 3 and offer my thoughts.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

I'll play the originals, then probably finish with RR 64. I just always loved that one.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

the only copies i have are the genesis (Part 1 and 2) and Road Rash 64. I guess that's good enough for me. don't want to emulate just to play it.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

So is the Genesis version the best, or was the Amiga port good?

From the list of ports, only the Amiga seems to have a shot of being as good as the original, but with the famous 1-button control issue I'm guessing the Genesis original is the clear winner.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I played a ton of 2 as a kid. I have all 3 Gen releases, so I will try to pop these in and have a go at them again.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

So far I've cleared the first round of races in the GB version. Interesting port.
slayerick

Post by slayerick »

The 3DO version is the best, I played it on a newer compilation disc and it didn't have the cut scenes or menu soundtrack. I was so dissappointed.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

slayerick wrote:The 3DO version is the best, I played it on a newer compilation disc and it didn't have the cut scenes or menu soundtrack. I was so dissappointed.

not the same game...
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Gave Road Rash Jailbreak an afternoon's worth, and this happens

Not bad right? Actually, it was pretty fun. Choose from 1 of 3 racers (initally), and have races with 4 bikes out on the course, pick up powerups like Mario Kart, and get first and avoid getting whacked by the cops. Graphics are nice and scrolling is very smooth, the tracks also undulate like the original games. Money is also on the tracks for upgrades for each character (up to 4), beating the Easy and Hard modes of Wild Race (which I did) unlocks 2 more characters for a total of 5 to choose from. The Easy and Hard modes have 6 courses each to begin with, but a password unlocks 3 more tracks. I did that and completed the 9 tracks on Hard mode, and the ending screen is exactly the same when you finish the original 6 and the extra last 3 courses.

When you're finished with the race mode, there's Time Attack and Survival modes (is this a fighting game now?) and the cool Cop Attack mode where you play the role of the cop and try to beat down the other 4 racers before the track finishes.

Overall, pretty good and it's super affordable so when you tire of the first 3 on the Genesis, this would be a good pickup.