Join in on our classic gaming club!
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Bubble Bobble

by Stark Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Nemoide wrote:I love Bubble Bobble. It's actually the game that cemented my friendship with Key-Glyph. She was planning a road trip to Niagara Falls but everyone else flaked out. We didn't know each other super-well but we spent a lot of time playing Bubble Bobble on NES. We got the "second best" ending, which in itself required two playthroughs.

I own the game for Sega Master System, Game Gear, and Saturn. The Saturn version is what I'm most familiar with but I've never beaten it due to the limited continues. So for this month I'll be playing the Game Gear and SMS versions! YEAH!

A friendship built on Bubble Bobble is meant to last. Anyone who can hear that music constantly, long enough to get to the ending twice, and not kill each other .... :)
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:00 pm

I'll be playing Bubble Bobble feat: Rainbow Islands on Saturn, and I'll also throw alil Parasol Stars into the mix. Both ranking very, very high on my all time favs list.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Not sure which version I'll end up with. I don't want to spend more than 10 bucks on it. Might just emulate it.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 pm

TEKTORO wrote:I'll be playing Bubble Bobble feat: Rainbow Islands on Saturn, and I'll also throw alil Parasol Stars into the mix. Both ranking very, very high on my all time favs list.

I'm playing on Sat as well, and I'll plan to dabble in Rainbow Islands.

I LOVED Parasol Stars on TG16 growing up!
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:25 am

noiseredux wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:I'll be playing Bubble Bobble feat: Rainbow Islands on Saturn, and I'll also throw alil Parasol Stars into the mix. Both ranking very, very high on my all time favs list.

yeah ill be doing the same, I wish they had put parosol stars on the saturn collection too than we could of had the complete trilogy of the story of bubble bobble on 1 disk
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:26 am

NES version for me. I was hoping to also have Bubble Symphony on Saturn by now. Oh well.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:36 am

Anyone playing this on the Taito Legends disc? I'll either go pick up that, or just get it off the Virtual Console.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:50 am

noiseredux wrote:

Keep me posted when you give rainbow islands (enhanced saturn ver.) a shot, there's tons of strategy to discuss. We can go for 1 credit runs! :)
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:30 pm

If anyone's interested, the fan-made 'Bubble Bobble Lost Cave' is supported in recent versions of MAME...

http://lostcave.wordpress.com/
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Blu wrote:Anyone playing this on the Taito Legends disc? I'll either go pick up that, or just get it off the Virtual Console.

I'm playing it on Legends on the PC. It's a good pickup for you get a ton of other Taito classics.

So here was my first game -- a challenge for me is to get as "low" as I possibly can -- so welcome to
How Low Can ExedExes Go?

As of right now, Round 14. I've always had trouble getting past this stage for some reason.

But since this is Taito Legends, I have to play something else when I finish, so I chose Great Swordsman.

Also on Taito Legends, there is a short video with the man behind Bubble Bobble. He originally created it to appeal to a female audience that did not frequent Japanese arcades as much. The cooperative aspect/ending was there for the same reason. According to what he saw, it actually in fact did bring girls (& couples) to them.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Return to Together Retro