Together Retro: Bubble Bobble

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Bubble Bobble

Post by noiseredux »

Ivo wrote:Hang in there, Noise. I can give you strategies for the first 20 levels at least.

On 15, playing solo, you should quickly jump and "kiss" the leftmost enemy, without going to that platform. Then run under the other 2 baddies, and when you are to the right of them jump, turn left and encase the rock-throwing one, try to burst it right away (but if you can't it may not be bad), then do the same for the other. If one or either of them floats away it may make the next part harder. Go up through the right part of the level and wait for a bubble carrying water to appear and float to above you. Now wait for a moment when it is safe without robots near that bubble, and just jump directly below it to burst it with your up-facing scale. The stream should kill all or 3 enemies. If one is left you throw a bubble and jump on it to get on the platform and finish the level.

I probably need earlier strategies, as 15 is the furthest I've made it. I was considering watching some Youtube vids or something to see what I'm failing to understand here.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

noiseredux wrote:I probably need earlier strategies, as 15 is the furthest I've made it. I was considering watching some Youtube vids or something to see what I'm failing to understand here.

I don't mind sharing my solo methods on levels, although I mostly don't know which stage is which by memory in terms of numbers.

Anyone having trouble in the first 20 levels list the levels here and I can try to get screenshots and draw some suggestions on them. Posting videos is harder and possibly not so relevant as in my actual methods in these levels I'm often fully powered up (all 3 candies and the shoes), and without all the power-ups you can not do exactly the same.

If you don't care about scoring, with good strategies and paying attention I think the first really difficult one is level 10. Between 10 and 20 there are some harsh ones, but I have managed to reach 20 without losing a life.
After 20, things can get quite difficult. I can usually get to low 30s without continuing, I have managed 40s when it goes well though (you can get 1-ups from scoring and EXTEND).

I don't remember if I was able to get farther without using continues when playing with another player. I remember the Amiga version being easier, I think it gave 9 continues to be shared across players and I think I did manage to get to 100 with help (that involved coordinated effort like letting a player that had just used a continue get all the juicy points to get as many 1-ups for each credit).

Ivo.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Got to level 26 today without using one continue (playing the NES port). I did warp through four levels though.

My strategy is basically to hang out in a corner and let the bubbles fly.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'm up to level 100 in the Game Gear version - with all 3 "Magic Balls" this time. I think the squashed level-design for GG makes the game considerably easier for the most part but it seems that Super Drunk will need a slightly different strategy.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I've been playing, but haven't made any real solid progress. Round 18 sucks! One must be "Super Drunk" to get far it seems :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the level that baffles my mind is the "heart" level. WTF?

Also, what is this "Super Drunk" that you guys keep mentioning?
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:the level that baffles my mind is the "heart" level. WTF?

Boss.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

getting better. Died on 15. Again. Fuck off already.
Bagel
8-bit

Post by Bagel »

I've always loved Bubble Bobble (on the NES anyways) but I could NEVER get past stage 57. I always get blown up by the lasers before I can get up there :( I guess this gives me incentive to give it another go. Now to find my little password book...
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:the level that baffles my mind is the "heart" level. WTF?

Round 14 (?) Water bubbles end it fast.

Super Drunk is the final boss of the first BB, but in Bubble Symphony (aka Bubble Bobble II-arcade), he ends the first world.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.