Together Retro: Bubble Bobble

Join in on our classic gaming club!
DocHauser
128-bit

Re: Together Retro: Bubble Bobble

Post by DocHauser »

I remember beating the C64 version of Bubble Bobble years ago, which would have been in 2 player mode - I guess we probably used continues too (though I think you had a total of 9 credits between both players, so you couldn't credit feed all the way through).

Anyway, just had a couple of attempts on the arcade version, for the first time in ages. First go: 342,130 - Stage 18; Second go: 559,860 - Stage 25.

Not too bad for one player. I still remember those levels like it was yesterday. :)
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

noiseredux wrote:the level that baffles my mind is the "heart" level. WTF?

I think that is level 13. This level is actually fairly easy if you know what to do. The level is designed for water bubbles.

Right at the start, move a tiny bit to the left (as player one) so that you can jump up and not die from touching the whale above - quickly jump up and "kiss" that baddie before it starts moving (i.e. trap it in a bubble at point blank, close enough that it instantly pops without floating away). Then move right to drop yourself through the bottom of the stage into the top of the heart. Wait there for the other baddie outside the heart (the one player two could have dispatched right at the start). When that whale flies through the bottom it appears at the top and in front of you, a prime opportunity for you to safely trap it and burst it. Then stay (or go back to) the top of the heart, and as water carrying bubbles float to the top you should position yourself so they come and burst at your feet. The water stream will fall vertically and kill the whales trapped inside the heart. Usually bursting 3 water bubbles this way will be enough (2 on the left and one on the right half).

You can also burst the water bubbles above the heart (by letting them float up a bit more before bursting them), in which case they will either flow outside the heart or go inside through the middle. By letting yourself go in one of those and jumping out when inside, you can even go inside the heart if you want to (e.g. there is an item you really want), but that is usually quite dangerous. In my experience bursting them while they are still below the top of the heart is much more effective.

Ivo.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Having a need to do something a little different, I went over to Bubble Symphony on Taito Legends 2! It is also known as "Bubble Bobble II" in some territories, and it has nothing to do with Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble II, or the super rare Bubble Bobble II on the NES. It is also only available on TL2 on Xbox & PC. (sorry PS2 port!)

It's a lot easier, you can select one of 4 characters, and you can CONTINUE.

You fight Super Drunk right away at Round 8.

Also, various Taito characters come out and assist you by grabbing special powerups. Space Invaders, the Silver Hawk from Darius, and here we have DonDokoDon also from TL2!

Let's not forget the themed worlds. Here is "KikiKaiKai", best known to us as Pocky & Rocky.

Taito also figured, why the hell not, a DARIUS themed world!

As you can see, it's also much easier to score with secret rooms and other hidden opportunities.

After playing that, I went over to Crazy Balloon. A bit obsessed with such an old game.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

y'know what? It turns out that Bubble Bobble proper is my least favorite game in the series it seems. I popped in Rainbow Islands tonight and had a blast. Add that to the fact that I loved Puzzle Bobble Pocket earlier in the month, and have long championed Parasol Stars... well it seems the game that build the Bobble franchise just doesn't hold as much fun for me.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:y'know what? It turns out that Bubble Bobble proper is my least favorite game in the series it seems. I popped in Rainbow Islands tonight and had a blast. Add that to the fact that I loved Puzzle Bobble Pocket earlier in the month, and have long championed Parasol Stars... well it seems the game that build the Bobble franchise just doesn't hold as much fun for me.

Add me to that after playing Bubble Symphony yesterday. Much more forgiving, more colorful, more Taito character cameos, more secret rooms and I had a blast. I know the first game has its place to start a notable series, but maybe it's cuz I'm getting stuck in the same rut?
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I didn't play as much Symphony, but from what I played I think it is also a great game. It probably reflects some evolution in game design, and is what I would expect from a great sequel: a good mix of more of the same with enough twists.

Rainbow Islands is a great game (quite hard as well) but the gameplay is very different and I don't like it as much. Parasol Stars I have little experience with.

I think Bubble Bobble is and will remain my favourite though. The gameplay is very well-tuned and it has very interesting level design (with occasional flaws, and some levels are borderline unfair). It is true it gets real hard really quickly, possibly too hard too quickly (but I think the same applies to Rainbow Islands). This is not uncommon from arcade games of the time (which had the credit-system an inherent part of their design) but it doesn't mean that it isn't a design flaw from the gameplay point of view.

Ivo.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

No new real progress here, but a new score of 467,670 on Round 18. Fire power up and the gems they leave behind are nice.

Bonus game from Taito Legends this time around was Zoo Keeper. This game also gets brutal pretty fast, but there is a nice risk/reward mechanic here.

I also found out the guy behind Bubble Bobble also made Volfied (on TL)!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

even in a short month like February, it has been tough to sustain my interest in this one :(
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

dsheinem wrote:even in a short month like February, it has been tough to sustain my interest in this one :(

Have you had the chance to play it co-op?

It's one of those games that's best played with friends I think.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

AppleQueso wrote:
dsheinem wrote:even in a short month like February, it has been tough to sustain my interest in this one :(

Have you had the chance to play it co-op?

It's one of those games that's best played with friends I think.

nope