Join in on our classic gaming club!
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23002
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

by dsheinem Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:39 am

So who's playing? What version?

We'll hopefully have the front page post up today, but I strongly suggest getting started with this one immediately as it might take you a while :)

A quick rundown of options on where to grab it:

Physical version (1998) - available on Amazon, eBay, etc. and in several compilations.

Digital version (1998) - Good Old Games

Enhanced Edition (2012) - Windows and iPad

I am playing the Enhanced Edition on my iPad but plan to pick up the EE for PC as well and transfer saves back and forth.

I started playing this a bit last month (I am in chapter 2 currently) and must say that I feel like it has a fairly steep learning curve and starts slow - but then starts to pick up after the first few hours. Don't let the slow start bog you down!

Note: the "Dark Alliance" console games are not in any way ports of the main game, so they won't quite foot the bill for this month...
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6494
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

by Jmustang1968 Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:02 am

Oh yeah! I have been playing the EE since it released in late November. I am nearly finished with the story and sidequests of the main game. But still have the expansion and finale to dig through.

One of my all time favorite games, which is obvious to any who listen to the podcast.
User avatar
SpaceBooger
Moderator
 
Posts: 4042
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 am
Location: The AK-Rowdy

Re: Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

by SpaceBooger Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:11 am

dsheinem wrote:So who's playing? What version?

We'll hopefully have the front page post up today, but I strongly suggest getting started with this one immediately as it might take you a while :)

A quick rundown of options on where to grab it:

Physical version (1998) - available on Amazon, eBay, etc. and in several compilations.

Digital version (1998) - Good Old Games

Enhanced Edition (2012) - Windows and iPad

I am playing the Enhanced Edition on my iPad but plan to pick up the EE for PC as well and transfer saves back and forth.

I started playing this a bit last month (I am in chapter 2 currently) and must say that I feel like it has a fairly steep learning curve and starts slow - but then starts to pick up after the first few hours. Don't let the slow start bog you down!

Note: the "Dark Alliance" console games are not in any way ports of the main game, so they won't quite foot the bill for this month...


How easy is it to transfer saves? Is it cloud based? I know nothing about iPads, but iWhatever and PC ate not usually compatible.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23002
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

by dsheinem Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:13 am

SpaceBooger wrote:
dsheinem wrote:So who's playing? What version?

We'll hopefully have the front page post up today, but I strongly suggest getting started with this one immediately as it might take you a while :)

A quick rundown of options on where to grab it:

Physical version (1998) - available on Amazon, eBay, etc. and in several compilations.

Digital version (1998) - Good Old Games

Enhanced Edition (2012) - Windows and iPad

I am playing the Enhanced Edition on my iPad but plan to pick up the EE for PC as well and transfer saves back and forth.

I started playing this a bit last month (I am in chapter 2 currently) and must say that I feel like it has a fairly steep learning curve and starts slow - but then starts to pick up after the first few hours. Don't let the slow start bog you down!

Note: the "Dark Alliance" console games are not in any way ports of the main game, so they won't quite foot the bill for this month...


How easy is it to transfer saves? Is it cloud based? I know nothing about iPads, but iWhatever and PC ate not usually compatible.


I'm about to give it a go in a while here, but it seems pretty easy: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion ... es-to-ipad
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

by ExedExes Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:17 am

I got the digital version from GOG, and I will be starting it today!
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
User avatar
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Re: Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:45 pm

I have the Digital version running and will be streaming the game in about 15 minutes (12 PM EST) until about 3 or 4 PM the link is http://www.twitch.tv/bogusmeatfactory for those interested! I hope everything works out well. See you at noon!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37996
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

by noiseredux Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:50 pm

ah, New Year's Day... hmmm should I spend $10 to download a PC WRPG that I'm being told is slow to start and too long to complete in a month, or should I play my new DC copy of Shikigami No Shiro 2 instead?
Image
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7668
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:58 pm

noiseredux wrote:ah, New Year's Day... hmmm should I spend $10 to download a PC WRPG that I'm being told is slow to start and too long to complete in a month, or should I play my new DC copy of Shikigami No Shiro 2 instead?

Ha! You located the DC import? Very nice. That could not have been cheap.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22634
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

by MrPopo Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:02 pm

dsheinem wrote:I started playing this a bit last month (I am in chapter 2 currently) and must say that I feel like it has a fairly steep learning curve and starts slow - but then starts to pick up after the first few hours. Don't let the slow start bog you down!

A lot of that is inherent in the AD&D ruleset. Until you reach level 3 or 4 it will be pretty touch and go for a while.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23002
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

by dsheinem Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:13 pm

MrPopo wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I started playing this a bit last month (I am in chapter 2 currently) and must say that I feel like it has a fairly steep learning curve and starts slow - but then starts to pick up after the first few hours. Don't let the slow start bog you down!

A lot of that is inherent in the AD&D ruleset. Until you reach level 3 or 4 it will be pretty touch and go for a while.


How many chapters typically before hit level 2? I'm fucking around in the mines regularly getting killed.
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests