Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

Join in on our classic gaming club!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

Post by dsheinem »

So who's playing? What version?

We'll hopefully have the front page post up today, but I strongly suggest getting started with this one immediately as it might take you a while :)

A quick rundown of options on where to grab it:

Physical version (1998) - available on Amazon, eBay, etc. and in several compilations.

Digital version (1998) - Good Old Games

Enhanced Edition (2012) - Windows and iPad

I am playing the Enhanced Edition on my iPad but plan to pick up the EE for PC as well and transfer saves back and forth.

I started playing this a bit last month (I am in chapter 2 currently) and must say that I feel like it has a fairly steep learning curve and starts slow - but then starts to pick up after the first few hours. Don't let the slow start bog you down!

Note: the "Dark Alliance" console games are not in any way ports of the main game, so they won't quite foot the bill for this month...
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Baldur's Gate

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Oh yeah! I have been playing the EE since it released in late November. I am nearly finished with the story and sidequests of the main game. But still have the expansion and finale to dig through.

One of my all time favorite games, which is obvious to any who listen to the podcast.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

dsheinem wrote:So who's playing? What version?

We'll hopefully have the front page post up today, but I strongly suggest getting started with this one immediately as it might take you a while :)

Physical version (1998) - available on Amazon, eBay, etc. and in several compilations.

I am playing the Enhanced Edition on my iPad but plan to pick up the EE for PC as well and transfer saves back and forth.

I started playing this a bit last month (I am in chapter 2 currently) and must say that I feel like it has a fairly steep learning curve and starts slow - but then starts to pick up after the first few hours. Don't let the slow start bog you down!

Note: the "Dark Alliance" console games are not in any way ports of the main game, so they won't quite foot the bill for this month...

How easy is it to transfer saves? Is it cloud based? I know nothing about iPads, but iWhatever and PC ate not usually compatible.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

SpaceBooger wrote:
dsheinem wrote:So who's playing? What version?

How easy is it to transfer saves? Is it cloud based? I know nothing about iPads, but iWhatever and PC ate not usually compatible.

I'm about to give it a go in a while here, but it seems pretty easy: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion ... es-to-ipad
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I got the digital version from GOG, and I will be starting it today!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I have the Digital version running and will be streaming the game in about 15 minutes (12 PM EST) until about 3 or 4 PM the link is http://www.twitch.tv/bogusmeatfactory for those interested! I hope everything works out well. See you at noon!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ah, New Year's Day... hmmm should I spend $10 to download a PC WRPG that I'm being told is slow to start and too long to complete in a month, or should I play my new DC copy of Shikigami No Shiro 2 instead?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

noiseredux wrote:ah, New Year's Day... hmmm should I spend $10 to download a PC WRPG that I'm being told is slow to start and too long to complete in a month, or should I play my new DC copy of Shikigami No Shiro 2 instead?

Ha! You located the DC import? Very nice. That could not have been cheap.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

dsheinem wrote:I started playing this a bit last month (I am in chapter 2 currently) and must say that I feel like it has a fairly steep learning curve and starts slow - but then starts to pick up after the first few hours. Don't let the slow start bog you down!

A lot of that is inherent in the AD&D ruleset. Until you reach level 3 or 4 it will be pretty touch and go for a while.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

MrPopo wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I started playing this a bit last month (I am in chapter 2 currently) and must say that I feel like it has a fairly steep learning curve and starts slow - but then starts to pick up after the first few hours. Don't let the slow start bog you down!

A lot of that is inherent in the AD&D ruleset. Until you reach level 3 or 4 it will be pretty touch and go for a while.

How many chapters typically before hit level 2? I'm fucking around in the mines regularly getting killed.