Together Retro: Maniac Mansion / Crush Series

Join in on our classic gaming club!
AppleQueso

Re: Together Retro: Maniac Mansion / Crush Series

Post by AppleQueso »

Considering I just recently got a Turbo, I suppose this would be a good time to go ahead and pick up Devil's Crush or something.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

So, do I pick up Devil's Crush or Alien Crush on VC this month....hmmm.

As for Maniac Mansion, I'll be playing that on SCUMM using my Day of the Tentacle disc. I'll probably play Day of the Tentacle after too.

Considering playing as the canon team according to Day of the Tentacle - Dave, Bernard and either Syd or Razor.

Edit: Out of curiosity,I wonder if are we opening suggestions for next years Together Retro soon? It was October last year, and it'd be good to get it sorted well ahead of January so we can buy the first few games. I have a fair few recommendations too...
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

No separate threads like Gunstar/Guardian Heroes? Especially with high scores for the pinball games, things could get pretty messy.

I've had MM Deluxe for a while and it's a great remake that captures the spirit of the original.

I've got Alien Crush, Devil's Crush, and I hope we'll be doing Jaki Crush on the SFC too.

Watch the Game Sack video on the Crush series. One of my favorite episodes. JACKRUSH!

Since I haven't done DC, I think DSH's score is gonna stay for a bit. I'll be playing both games this month, but you know I'll be focusing way more on the pinball. The rest of you should too!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

So, I got stuck into Maniac Mansion. I wandred around a lot, but i dont think I've solved many problems. I managed to give some food and drink to one of the residents of the house to make friends, but 2 of my kids were caught by Edna and Weird Ed respectively, so they're locked up in the basement now. I love how this game looks, but I do sorely miss having music playing. Maybe I'll find a relevant game soundtrack to play in the background as I play.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

alienjesus wrote:So, I got stuck into Maniac Mansion. I wandred around a lot, but i dont think I've solved many problems. I managed to give some food and drink to one of the residents of the house to make friends, but 2 of my kids were caught by Edna and Weird Ed respectively, so they're locked up in the basement now. I love how this game looks, but I do sorely miss having music playing. Maybe I'll find a relevant game soundtrack to play in the background as I play.

I had two people in the dungeon too - I figured that was inevitable and that the point is for the third character to let them out?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:
alienjesus wrote:So, I got stuck into Maniac Mansion. I wandred around a lot, but i dont think I've solved many problems. I managed to give some food and drink to one of the residents of the house to make friends, but 2 of my kids were caught by Edna and Weird Ed respectively, so they're locked up in the basement now. I love how this game looks, but I do sorely miss having music playing. Maybe I'll find a relevant game soundtrack to play in the background as I play.

I had two people in the dungeon too - I figured that was inevitable and that the point is for the third character to let them out?

From what I understand, it's always possible to get one kid out no matter what. There are a few points of nor return, but I don't think that's one of them.

I did pick up a parcel, which I think might be important. The doorbell rang and it showed one of the tennants running to answer it. I had Razor still outside the house, so I made her go and see what it was and found a parcel. I picked it up and hid and the guy seemed pretty annoyed, so hopefully I did something right.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

So it seems like the mansion blew up...

So I guess that means I have to start again. I pretty much wasted all of my items on the kids being sent to the dungeons.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

dsheinem wrote:

You need to get your third kid to get the key (It is in the hidden room you open by having one kid press the staircase 'bulb?' while another walks in). So if you did not get the key first (which is what I do at the start of every playthrough, I think you are stuck, at least that is the only way I ever got the kids out. I never look at FAQ so its very possible there at 20 different ways to get them out.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

dsheinem wrote:I had two people in the dungeon too - I figured that was inevitable and that the point is for the third character to let them out?

Not gonna say anything, but...
I found a lot of hidden stuff in rooms I thought were dead ends by hovering the "What is" command all over the place.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I won't spoil anything, but it's easy to get out of dungeon if two people are in it. Nevermind the third kid. Just use your two people to investigate the dungeon.