Together Retro: Bomberman '94

Join in on our classic gaming club!
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Bomberman '94

Post by TEKTORO »

I can go for the XBLA version, if your getting it noise.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Opa Opa wrote:
sevin0seven wrote:were planning to play Bomberman in this month's racket's bay area meet-up. good timing!

What are you guys playing on?

we actually have a lot of options....Saturn version, N64 version, Tubro version, SNES version.... maybe the Saturn version. :wink:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

So I played a couple of rounds of local multiplayer (all against the computer opponents) and I currently suck. It is a little confusing what's going on even though I have played Bomberman before. I guess I need to play a bunch more rounds to familiarize myself with the controls.

I pick up the various enhancements (flame, power up, etc) but how do I know which one I'm using?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

gtmtnbiker wrote:So I played a couple of rounds of local multiplayer (all against the computer opponents) and I currently suck. It is a little confusing what's going on even though I have played Bomberman before. I guess I need to play a bunch more rounds to familiarize myself with the controls.

I pick up the various enhancements (flame, power up, etc) but how do I know which one I'm using?

Which game are you talking about? If you're on about '94, then I can tell you what everything does.

Bomb icon - lets you lay one extra bomb at a time. Stacks.
Flame Icon - makes bomb blasts longer. Stacks.
3 Bomb Icon - double tapping the bomb button throws a line of as many bombs as you can lay out directly in front of you.
Kick Bomb - Walking into a bomb sends it flying away from you.
Egg - Gets you a Louie. Different ones have different powers:
- Green - runs very fast in a straight line until it hits an obstacle
- Yellow - Kicks bombable blocks to move them around
- Blue - Kicks bombs to lob them over blocks. Kicking them over the border makes them come in on the opposite side of the screen
- Purple - Can jump over one block or bomb. The jump duration is slightly longer than a bomb explosion, so you can avoid them with good timing.
- Pink - can dance, which is pointless.

If you're playing another version, all of the above will still apply, other than the Eggs. Most power ups actually stack, so you rarely need to worry. In later bomberman games, any abilities activated by using a button tend to replace each other when picked up, so you'll have whichever is most recent. Abilities which change the type of bomb you have tend to replace each other too, for obvious reasons.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

TEKTORO wrote:I can go for the XBLA version, if your getting it noise.

downloaded it last night. So yeah, it would be awesome if a bunch of us got it so we could have random matches throughout the month. :)

gtmtnbiker wrote:So I played a couple of rounds of local multiplayer (all against the computer opponents) and I currently suck. It is a little confusing what's going on even though I have played Bomberman before. I guess I need to play a bunch more rounds to familiarize myself with the controls.

Haha, same here. But honestly I've always sucked at classic Bomberman games. I've played Bomberman Party PS1 and the NES port on GBA along with um... what was the one on GBA... Bomberman World maybe? And GB versions as well. I've always been pretty bad, but perhaps getting to play throughout the month and sticking with it will make me better.

I definitely need to kind of learn the basics as well. All I really know now is "blow up the other guys" and "don't get blown up."

Sidenote: did y'all ever play Pocket Bomberman for GBC? I love that game, though it's really more of puzzle-platformer. Really good and seemingly unloved.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Good to hear that I'm not alone. I've played a few on the DS & the GBA. I forget which ones I have. I think the DS one was the best since it was easy to select which powerup to use.

I'll have to see if there's a help/learning the controls guide with the game later tonight.

Were you able to get the seller to cancel the auction. Seems that you would have a legitimate gripe since you can't use the disc to go online. The seller should mention that in his/her auction.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I haven't gotten a response back yet, but I'm kind of indifferent. Apparently Lumines works just fine online from that disc, and you can never have enough Lumines.

Anyway, please do let us know if you find a good strategy guide or anything.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

^ Noise - is the single player for Bomberman Live a port of the original?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

retrosportsgamer wrote:^ Noise - is the single player for Bomberman Live a port of the original?

I'm not sure. And wikipedia says:

Bomberman Live is an original version of the classic game Bomberman, an arcade-style maze-based video game originally developed by Hudson Soft.

So still not clear. I'm no afficianado of the series.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I know Bomberman would be a definitive early example of the multiplayer game, but the single player experience on BM '94 has been quote enjoyable for me so far. The older games were slower and more methodical, but here you can get more than one power up per stage and the objective is much easier to obtain. Plus, the special creature you can ride protects you from one hit. Pretty sweet addition to the series so far, and I'll provide more from the single player side as I continue to play.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.