Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Ys I

by alienjesus Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm currently level 7 (SMS version) and leaving the mines. I have the Talwarl, Silver Armour and basic shield :lol:. I also have 4 different rings. Are there any disadvantages to the rings? I know the advantages (mail ring = defence, power ring = attack, timer ring slows enemies, heal ring lets you heal in dungeons), but I'm not sure if theres any downsides to wearing them.

It's nice that the exp. gain from enemies rockets up after that first boss (enemies in the tower hes in give 30-60 exp, and enemies in the mine give 200-350 exp a pop), but it really should've been more generous before him. Grinding against those 4 exp enemies sucked.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:02 pm

:mrgreen:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Congrats, dsheinem. Part 1 is short, huh?

An exciting day! Ys Book I & II for Turbo CD came in the mail. After playing the DS/PSP ports to death I now get to try one of the more "original" versions. So far it's great. It controls well and the graphics are solid. And of course, this version has the best soundtrack by far, here's some proof:
First Step Towards War
Palace

So amazing. What's even better is that you can simply pop the Turbo CD disc into any CD player and the soundtrack will play!

I haven't played too much yet. Mostly grinding for levels/money. Just walked into the second village. I'm gonna log another couple hours tonight, hopefully finish Book I this weekend.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Put in about 2 hours last night. It really took me some getting used to just running into the enemies to attack. Feels very foreign to me lol. I am playing the PSP version. I like the art and the graphics they put on this. The sounds effects and music are top notch too. Looks and plays very nice on the PSP.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:24 pm

dsheinem wrote:Image

:mrgreen:

yikes. That was fast.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:49 pm

ok, beat the jerk with the blue flames. Upgraded my equipment. Annnd my battery started to die. Realized one of my cats ate through my PSP charger cable. :shock: :x Luckily I had just enough juice left to put it in USB mode, so it's charging through my PC but have to stop for now till it's charged. :?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Got up to Darm Tower.... probably gonna take a break until tomorrow night.

A few observations/thoughts about this Turbo CD version:

- As someone said earlier in the thread, you do have to play Ys I before part II will begin. They're lumped into one long game, you don't get an option to start at part two on the title screen.
- The mine was a pain in the ass. You only have a small light surrounding you and it's very hard to navigate. I don't remember it being this annoying in the new DS/PSP ports.
- The bosses seem piss easy for some reason. Maybe I'm overleveled, who know. The dreaded bat boss went down in three hits!
- I love the early 90s anime artwork:

Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:27 am

I'm up to level 7 in the SMS version. I upgraded to Reflex Armor and am still going through the Palace.

One thing I really don't like: the Mask of Eyes
Supposedly in the TurboGrafx version, you can kind of see the faint outline of doors that appear when wearing the mask. Not so in the SMS version. Of course, the enemies become invisible so it becomes the awkward pain of constantly putting it on and taking it off to see if any doors appear.
Last time I played the game, I just used a walkthrough for it. But I'm trying not to this time!

I remember the mine being a huge annoyance to. The combat system makes the limited visibility just that much more annoying. But I've done it before and I'll do it again!
rimjet
8-bit

by rimjet Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:35 am

I finally got to play the game after class today. I put in about an hour during my lunch break and an hour and a half after class. The best part was that I brought my wii to my college's video/board game club so I had an audience that helped me figure out how to beat the bosses. All part of my master scheme to spread the retro love. :o

I managed to plow through the shrine, I'm at level 12 I think? Somewhere around there. I really really enjoy the gameplay so far. Ramming into enemies while listening to rockin' music is super fun. To be honest if I was watching someone play I'd think it looks boring. It's something that you have to play to get how perfect it is. I seem to only really like a few rpg series so I was a little worried going in but really it's so simple that it's perfect. Sometimes you don't need super complicated gameplay to make a fun game.

Anyway, went into the mines but I was blind as a bat so I must be missing something. So I left off there because someone brought a special edition of risk to play and I wanted in on that.
kingbuzzo
16-bit

by kingbuzzo Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:45 am

Really enjoying it so far. I was so frustrated at the 2nd boss I was about to give up. Then I found out that the game relies on 60hz vsync or else the bosses are sped up to impossible speeds.

Had to ditch VMware and using some tricks from the link below to get it running on Win7 with an ATI card.

http://seldane.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... hread=6163
Return to Together Retro