Join in on our classic gaming club!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Ys I

by dsheinem Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:31 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Make sure you get that sword though!

oh.

there are two trees? I've walked up to one several times and just get a quick cinematic (and nothing else). Guess I'll look for the other...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:31 pm

dsheinem wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:

oh.

there are two trees? I've walked up to one several times and just get a quick cinematic (and nothing else). Guess I'll look for the other...

Thanks for the tips, Bone. Just saved the game as I entered
Darm Tower.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Just so you know to all who are beginning the game here -- buying the Sapphire Ring from the item shop with your initial 1000 gold and giving it to the One-Eyed Man in the bar nets you 1500 gold and your first level up, and by finding a Golden Pot at the top of the pond in the field north of the first town (cross the bridge), you bring that back to the Item Shop and get 2000 gold. You also get a level by getting Sara's Crystal. so by doing nothing you're at L3 and in a good position to earn a couple more levels (and the Long Sword) on taking out the first boss. I don't see what's so hard about him so far :lol:
Last edited by ExedExes on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:57 pm

So, I started this today. Been playing for a few hours now, and I can't beat the first enemy inside the tower of the doomed (which I think is called darm tower in other versions). He's a wizard who appears and disappears in a room with flames moving back and forward. I first took him on at level 3, and couldn't even put a dent in him - my attack literally did no damage. So I spent ages grinding to level 4, which required me to kill literally 100 of the brigands outside the tower, went back in and....nope, I hurt him now, but it's so minor theres no way I can win before he kills me. Looks like I'm grinding to level 5, which is going to take 200 brigands (requires 800 exp, with Brigands giving 4 exp each). Damn, this makes the grinding at the start of Phantasy star look like nothing.

For the record, I have the 2nd sword, but the cheapest shield and armour. By the time I reach level 5 I should have enough gold to decide whether to get the 3rd sword or the 2nd armour and shield. Which do people recommend?

Also, I got the gold pot and the sapphire ring on my run, and did both of those, and neither levelled me up. I did get my first level up when the seer gave me the crystal though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:58 pm

AJ, me and you are stuck at the same part.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:01 pm

I got stuck there initially but took him out when I was around level 4 or 5. I had better defensive gear instead of offensive gear and essentially just ran into him for about 5 seconds and *poof* he was gone!

So just keep leveling...it only gets harder after him.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:02 pm

alienjesus wrote:Also, I got the gold pot and the sapphire ring on my run, and did both of those, and neither levelled me up. I did get my first level up when the seer gave me the crystal though.

Ok, it was the ring that got the level, and the crystal. I'll fix my post.

For the first boss, be sure to have

- Long Sword
- Basic Armor
- Basic Shield

and be at least L5 to make it real easy. Watch the flames and only charge ahead when it's clear.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Thats the exact equipment I have, but I'm only level 4. I'm just a bit miffed about how I have to kill 200 enemies to level up is all. 800 exp is what I need to level, and 800 exp is how much I have total in the game up til now.

Or it was, I'm grinding as we speak. This is gonna take forever ¬_¬

Edit: Got to level 5 and bought the 5000g sword. The boss only took 4 hits after that. Finally moving on.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:20 pm

dsheinem wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:

oh.

Thanks for the tips, Bone. Just saved the game as I entered
Darm Tower.

How did you take out the Vampire?
I'm level 17 (TG - VC version) and have the silver sword... did you use the walk strategy? I played that boss for over an hour and couldn't get him lower than half his HP.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:How did you take out the Vampire?
I'm level 17 (TG - VC version) and have the silver sword... did you use the walk strategy? I played that boss for over an hour and couldn't get him lower than half his HP.

I had Silver everything, then it wasn't too bad.
Return to Together Retro