Join in on our classic gaming club!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Ys I

by ExedExes Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:11 am

Ok, started off! Really fun (and easy) so far! Never saw combat as simple as walking up and bumping the tar out of them :lol: Plus, 2 free level ups just for doing simple tasks before even getting to the first boss!

Which is now down, was at Level 5 and had Long Sword and other basic equipment, just ran back and forth -- toast! Now at Level 6 and "Shrine Depth 1", so I'll stop for now.

Enjoyable so far!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
kingbuzzo
16-bit

by kingbuzzo Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:34 am

noiseredux wrote:perhaps I'm confused. Is the chiptune soundtrack not the Turbo soundtrack?

The Turbo Duo soundtrack is CDDA iirc, and is not included in either Ys I & II Chronicles for psp or Ys I & II complete on PC. Instead we have PC88, 2001 windows release, and a new re-orchestrated soundtrack.

Also, windows version runs at 60+fps compared to 30fps on psp, and displays a larger playfield. Only problem is it can be a pain to setup in windows7 with a high end gfx card. I have to run it in windows XP through vm.

This article at HG101 is worth reading if anyone is interested in learning some history and general nerdology of Ys as a series.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys.htm
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:22 am

You guys who are having boss trouble need to grind. Thankfully, you seem to level up fast in these games. You'll soon find out that 90% of game overs will come from boss fights, they are tough.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:33 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:You guys who are having boss trouble need to grind. Thankfully, you seem to level up fast in these games. You'll soon find out that 90% of game overs will come from boss fights, they are tough.

Not the Master System one. You can only level up to level 10 on that, so it takes much longer between levels.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:36 am

I did not know that! I think the DS/PSP versions cap much later than that.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:15 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:You guys who are having boss trouble need to grind. Thankfully, you seem to level up fast in these games. You'll soon find out that 90% of game overs will come from boss fights, they are tough.

how do I move in the room with the blue flames without getting hurt. I feel like if I take a step in any direction I'm being hit by the flames.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:18 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I did not know that! I think the DS/PSP versions cap much later than that.

The PSP version seems capped at 10.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 am

noiseredux wrote:

how do I move in the room with the blue flames without getting hurt. I feel like if I take a step in any direction I'm being hit by the flames.

You playing on PSP? Take the battle SLOWLY. If it lasts 20 minutes, then so be it. Only strike when you have a clear shot and when the boss is close to you. Don't be tempted to charge up at the boss if he's too far away, even if the coast is clear, the flames will come back quickly and own you.

The boss fights are wars of attrition, really. Expect to get hurt, a lot. Don't be surprised to finish some fights with HP in the single digits. The key is just to outlast the boss.

And I guess everyone should ignore my comments on level-capping. And I guess I didn't know what the hell I was talking, nothing new there. :lol: I do swear that one of the versions has a high level cap though, maybe DS?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:17 am

wow the mines boss is an asshole. I have silver armor/shield and that priciest sword from Minea. Tips?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:13 am

dsheinem wrote:wow the mines boss is an asshole. I have silver armor/shield and that priciest sword from Minea. Tips?

Do you mean the boss that turns into bats (Vagullion)?

I'm pretty sure you MUST also have the silver sword to win. You get this from one of the trees in the overworld.

As for strategy, it depends on what version you play I guess. On PSP, I found it best to actually walk (not too slowly, with little bouts of running) around the room while the bats chase. This caused them to clump and follow Adol more slowly. If you run around erratically, the bats will follow suit and may get some hits in on you. If they follow you closely/slowly, the boss should reform right behind you and you'll get in some hits.

Make sure you get that sword though!
Return to Together Retro