Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Ys I

by alienjesus Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:30 pm

I have the Master System version ready and waiting to go, but I have some other stuff I want to work through before I start. I'll get to it soon!
kingbuzzo
16-bit

by kingbuzzo Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:12 pm

No one has mentioned the PC version. The translated version is the same as the PSP only you have the option to add in the epic Turbo Duo soundtrack. I think this makes it the difinitive version personally.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:19 pm

kingbuzzo wrote:No one has mentioned the PC version. The translated version is the same as the PSP only you have the option to add in the epic Turbo Duo soundtrack. I think this makes it the difinitive version personally.

the PC version lets you choose between the original chiptune soundtrack, the PC version soundtrack or the new PSP soundtrack.
kingbuzzo
16-bit

by kingbuzzo Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:34 pm

noiseredux wrote:
kingbuzzo wrote:No one has mentioned the PC version. The translated version is the same as the PSP only you have the option to add in the epic Turbo Duo soundtrack. I think this makes it the difinitive version personally.

the PC version lets you choose between the original chiptune soundtrack, the PC version soundtrack or the new PSP soundtrack.

Correct, but with a simple copy and paste, I have the turbo duo soundtrack in all its glory.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:38 pm

kingbuzzo wrote:Correct, but with a simple copy and paste, I have the turbo duo soundtrack in all its glory.

perhaps I'm confused. Is the chiptune soundtrack not the Turbo soundtrack?
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:40 pm

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I am playing the PSP port and all the music options seem good. I quite like the take on combat (much more than I though I would) and plowing through enemies is extremely rewarding and fun. So far I quite like this :)

same -- I thought the combat would suck, but it's actually so fun and fast... hey where is the game clock anyway? I didn't see where it told me how long I've been playing. Oh and I did restart on Normal BTW.

Once you get the Bestairy Potion,you'll be able to see a bunch of stats such as character level,HP,weapon,location name and enemy info etc..And you can turn On/Off using R shoulder,the info sits nicely on the side left (your info) screen and bottom right corner for enemy infos.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:42 pm

noiseredux wrote:
kingbuzzo wrote:Correct, but with a simple copy and paste, I have the turbo duo soundtrack in all its glory.

Chiptune one I thought was from Ys I & II from TG-16CD/PCE.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:49 pm

noiseredux wrote:

As I recall, the PSP version let's you choose between the original PC88 soundtrack, Ys Eternal soundtrack, or a brand new set of arrangements. I think maybe the "chiptune" soundtrack you're thinking of is PC88? This game has so many ports, it gets a tad confusing.

Anyway, the Turbo CD has the best soundtrack by far. It's amazing.
DJGoodNews

by DJGoodNews Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:35 pm

From the article:

Battles are not turned based. And there’s no swinging swords. Instead you literally ram into enemies. Running into them off-center or from the side or back will increase your chances of getting a hit rather than taking damage.

Since the DS version is listed among the recommended ports, it probably should be pointed out, somewhere in the article that the controls are changed quite a bit.

There are two control options: Normal and Stylus.

In normal mode, you move Adol around with the D-Pad, but the whole running into enemies to hurt them mechanic is gone. Instead you have to press a button to swing your sword. This completely changes combat, making it much more similar to most other action RPGs.

In stylus mode, Ys signature combat mechanic is restored, however you can't use the d-pad to move around. You have to point to where you want Adol to move with the stylus.

Stylus control is complete shit, and there is no way to use a d-pad and still have the classic style combat.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:26 pm

I was going to play FF9 tonight, but I got this on the VC and will put some time this TR game instead.

You guys and your peer pressure... Now where is that bridge everyone else is at again?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Return to Together Retro