All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Together Retro: Ys I
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:59 pm 

ksloth wrote:
I think that I would like to participate in this Together Retro.. hopefully I am not too late. I'm going to go and check on the PSP version and probably get it.

Welcome! Together Retro is definitely a great way to get yourself involved in the community. Plus it's a lot of fun. And you're definitely not too late. You've got the rest of March to get through Ys (which is a pretty short game anyway).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:03 pm 
32-bit

Thank you for the welcome! I am installing Y's as we speak :)
I have no idea what to expect, but I love pretty much any non-awful RPG, so I am sure it will be lots of fun. I wish I had gotten here earlier for Shining Force.. love that game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:08 pm 

ksloth wrote:
Thank you for the welcome! I am installing Y's as we speak :)
I have no idea what to expect, but I love pretty much any non-awful RPG, so I am sure it will be lots of fun. I wish I had gotten here earlier for Shining Force.. love that game.

did you settle on the PSP version?

If so, which artwork did you decide to use -- the 2001 or 2009?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:13 pm 
32-bit

I will let you know as soon as I fire it up and get a little time with it, I grabbed the PSN version, so its taking a while to install.

Say, is there a calendar of the 2012 Together Retro somewhere? I didn't see one, but I could be oblivious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:14 pm 

ksloth wrote:
Say, is there a calendar of the 2012 Together Retro somewhere? I didn't see one, but I could be oblivious.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=33695

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:27 pm 
32-bit

Ended up choosing the 2009 setting. I'm honestly not too sure what it changes, as I tried watching the opening video and playing about 5 minutes afterwards in each mode, and saw no difference. I chose the Y's Complete sound setting.. the retro was a little too chippy, and the most modern setting was way too Thundercats Rock for me. The Complete music setting is a nice middle of the road. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:07 am 
32-bit

Well, now that I have made some progress, I think I will leave a few impressions. :)

First, I am playing the PSP version and I must say it looks quite good. Very sharp graphics, nice animations abound for grass, clouds, etc. Great pixel art in this game for sure.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the combat at first, but I am really enjoying it now! It takes a lot of the sting out of grinding, and I have been doing a bit of that. I have just rescued a woman down in the shrine, and I think I am sitting at about level 7 right now.

I have Reflex armor, long sword, and medium shield and I don't feel nearly as weak as I did when I first started with just a measly short sword. Also I think it is both hilarious and awesome that when you kill something, they explode in a huge gory shower of blood and gibs. Very cool!

I managed to run around a bit in the bottom of the shrine grabbing everything I could, and walked away with some pretty nice armor. I needed to flee out of there to heal up and save my game (and return my follower), but now that that is taken care of, I am going back with my nifty new power ring and equipment to see what else lurks down there.

Overall, this game got its claws into me pretty quickly and I think I am going to really enjoy playing through it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:31 am 

yes, the explosions of blood-n-bones is awesome!

the graphical difference are slight between the 2001 and 2009 versions:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:24 pm 
Next-Gen
 ICQ  Profile

The fact that I recognized those pics immediately means I spend way too much time on HG101...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:25 pm 

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
The fact that I recognized those pics immediately means I spend way too much time on HG101...

as you should!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next