Together Retro: Ys I

Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Ys I

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

noiseredux wrote:found myself horribly lost in the mines, so searched for a map. Found something amazing:

http://www.vnotesonline.com/img_vnotes/ ... and_II.pdf

Never heard of vnotesonline, but they basically wrote their own strategy guide. And I mean wrote it. It's all handwritten with hand drawn maps. It feels so old school game magazine style. I normally don't like FAQ's or whatever, but this is so charming I had to share it.

This is awesome and VERY helpful since I'm playing the TCD version and a lot of the old maps are quite different from the DS/PSP ones. I'll be printing the Solomon Shrine one (for Ys II), that place gives me a headache.

As for rings, I mostly used the power ring and would switch to the heal ring when I needed to regain health.

I may be wrong, but I recall hearing that in some versions of Ys I the rings don't "work" during the boss battles.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I may be wrong, but I recall hearing that in some versions of Ys I the rings don't "work" during the boss battles.

I'm not sure whether this is true or not on the SMS version. The healing rings certainly won't heal you, but at the same time if I go into a battle with it equipped I cant hurt the boss and I die quickly - as it lowers attack and defence when equipped as far as I can tell. I haven't checked whether the other 3 rings have an effect or not though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I may be wrong, but I recall hearing that in some versions of Ys I the rings don't "work" during the boss battles.

the heal ring definitely did not work during boss battles. So maybe it was all in my head that the speed ring worked. Like I said, I only tried it once on the very last battle so...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:yeah the only ring I used at all was the healing ring, until the last boss like I said. He gave me trouble on my first two tries. On my last try I decided to go through my equipment and try something different. The time ring coupled with the right other equipment made the battle pretty damn easy.

I personally just use the power ring all the time, and switch to the healing ring when necessary. If the timer ring did work on the bats, It wouldn't have helped me much as I took all my damage when I was attacking him when he was stationary. I think the rings did work myself, because I found myself hurting the boss more with the power ring than with the ring mail when I tried that.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I've tried all kinds of combinations and can say that I'm pretty sure the rings don't matter in boss battles in the SMS version.

I found the Timing Ring really helpful in the upper levels of the Tower where I'd rather just run past enemies than bother fighting them (and having to then sit around waiting to heal from potential damage). I used Ring Mail the most throughout the game; I prefer to play things safe.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Nemoide wrote:I've tried all kinds of combinations and can say that I'm pretty sure the rings don't matter in boss battles in the SMS version.

I found the Timing Ring really helpful in the upper levels of the Tower where I'd rather just run past enemies than bother fighting them (and having to then sit around waiting to heal from potential damage). I used Ring Mail the most throughout the game; I prefer to play things safe.

Yeah, I agree. Tested some on the final boss to no avail.

Anyhow:

The bat was the hardest by a huge margin. After reading up on version differences, it seems like bosses generally take more hits on the SMS version.
PixelPixii
32-bit

Post by PixelPixii »

I will be playing this on the PSP. I have never played any of the Ys series so I am really excited to be trying this out!

Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Alright, I just finished it for SMS! I wish the second one was released on the console.

I admit that I looked up the "trick" to the final boss on GameFAQs though. I guess I'm weird because the Tower/final boss gave me a lot more trouble than the Bat boss. I think I lost to the Bat guy three or four times and then won? *shrug*
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Turbo CD players... Don't click if you're trying to avoid spoilers!

DONE.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I'm glad we picked a game as reasonable and simple as this -- I would not have the patience to sit through a long plodding turn based RPG right now! :lol:

Anyways, got all the goods, Heal Ring rocks, and after 2 attempts and at L16, I whupped Batman's ass and picked up 2 more lvls worth of XP for my efforts.

On to the tower soon!

This was a great choice again, because you really can't screw up here!

EDIT: YUZO KOSHIRO DID THE MUSIC FOR THIS? Amazing! Favorite piece so far
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.