Join in on our classic gaming club!
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Soul Calibur

by GameMasterGuy Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

One of the ones I beat it as didn't net me a new character, I'm guessing half of them unlock newcomers, regardless of whether they're pre-unlocked or not. Haven't tried using any of the unlockable ones yet though, so I wouldn't know.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
Ack

by Ack Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Ah, Soul Calibur, one of the fighters I've spent more time with than any other.

My main is Mitsurugi; he offers a lot of versatility against just about everyone, a solid amount of damage for his hits, and a great mixture of range. His moves aren't the fastest, save for some of his closest hits, but beyond that, there really isn't much of a downside to using him. And his throws are brutal!

After Mitsurugi, I spent a lot of time playing as Xianhua. It was her speed and her excellent kicking game that drew me to her. Her range is tiny when compared to many of the heavy-hitters, and though she is extremely fast, her damage is lacking. But her move set offers plenty of options for someone to shut down another player if you can get her in range. When I played regularly, I became adept at knocking people to the floor and then keeping them there with her.

Anyway, I've played a lot of Soul Calibur. This game holds some of my personal bests in regards to fighters, such as the fastest time beating a traditional 2-round Arcade mode and Survival mode. Here's some of my achievements for you guys to play around with. See if you can best them!

Fastest Time Beating Arcade Mode: 1 min 44 sec (Xianhua)
Highest Survival Mode Run: 92 consecutive wins (Mitsurugi)
Fastest Single Round: 3 seconds - Ring Out (Mitsurugi)

It disturbs me that I remember all of this.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Ack wrote:Fastest Time Beating Arcade Mode: 1 min 44 sec (Xianhua)

whaaaaaaaaat?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:31 pm

beat SC2 for PS2.
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

by AznKhmerBoi Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:58 pm

Just a question, do you think its cheap or cheating that i only play with one character (Mitsurugi) during matches with a group of friends?

Its not just Soul Calibur, but any fighters i play, I tend to pick the same character. This is because my theory is that if i keep picking one character and learning the crap out of him, it would make me a better fighter.

My friends call it cheap because i have a higher winning streak using same player.
DsLite Wii 3DS PS3fatYLOD GenesisModel1 SegaSaturnDreamcast SNES NES Ps1 N64 WiiU "black" PS4
NintendoSwitch(GreyCons)GBA SP 101 (Spongbob Model)Gameboy Color (Blue) (Spongbob Model)Gameboy Color (LimeGreen) (Spongbob Model)Xbox One (OriginalFatRelease)

PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:50 pm

AznKhmerBoi wrote:Just a question, do you think its cheap or cheating that i only play with one character (Mitsurugi) during matches with a group of friends?

Its not just Soul Calibur, but any fighters i play, I tend to pick the same character. This is because my theory is that if i keep picking one character and learning the crap out of him, it would make me a better fighter.

My friends call it cheap because i have a higher winning streak using same player.

I personally don't believe so. Everyone has their own strategies. I usually choose 3 to 5 characters and learn the hell out of them. I pick a diverse group: heavy hitters, speed demons, defense-heavy, easy comboers, and there is usually some hybrid of 2 types. This way, I can try and be as flexible as possible against my opponents.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:32 pm

So I played the game again today and breezed right through it.
I bought Soul Caliber with the Dreamcast on release day back in 1999, so this isn't the first time I have beat the game. This is one of those fighting games that you can win by just button mashing, and that is how I have always played this game. I never invested too much time into learning characters, moves, and fighting strategies to play by myself. Soul Caliber was the one fighting game that I never mastered and because of that it was the perfect game to play with friends who were new to either the Dreamcast (to show it off) or fighting games in general. Until MvC came along Soul Caliber was the "button mashing evens the level of competition" game of choice.
After beating the game again today, I now have the urge to really invest some time to master the game and fighting techniques 11 years late.

Edit: I played it one more time since I typed this (didn't post it) on the easiest setting to see how fast I could beat the arcade mode and it was 5min 58sec. Button mashing at it's finest. Now I am wondering how fast I could do it if I set the game to easy and only one round...
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Ack

by Ack Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:54 am

noiseredux wrote:
Ack wrote:Fastest Time Beating Arcade Mode: 1 min 44 sec (Xianhua)

whaaaaaaaaat?

I told you, I played a lot of Soul Calibur back in the day. And when I said I could shut down an opponent with Xianhua, I meant it. At that point, rounds last a matter of seconds.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

by GameMasterGuy Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:34 pm

So do you go for knocking them out of the stadium or what?
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:21 pm

starting playing SC3... and it's terrible. Wow. I don't like it at all.

I'm starting to think the only one I think I'd even continue to play is 4, because really online multiplayer is the only thing that makes the game really good to me. :?
Return to Together Retro