Join in on our classic gaming club!
Flake

Re: Together Retro: Soul Calibur

by Flake Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:52 pm

TEKTORO wrote:I downloaded the xbla version if anyone wants to play,otherwise Ill focus on getting some achievements in the mean while.

As far as I know, the XBLA version does not have any online multiplayer.

I am with Noise on this one - I am going to do a run through of the original and then spend some time with some of the other entries, especially IV and V. Soul Calibur stays consistent enough throughout the series that no game represents an experience radically divorced from the others.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

by GameMasterGuy Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Ever since I heard this was going to be a TR title, I shelved it for February. Time to kick ass.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
skyknight
128-bit

by skyknight Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Boy, did my bro and I enjoy the first two titles, but I think things fall off after SC II, SC III was a PS2 disaster - an arcade release with full-moves Hwang and Li Long AFTER the PS2, WTF!? A fatal error within the game - if you moved a file from your memory card, it screws the single-player conquest game totally!

My bro wasn't totally impressed by SC IV, WTF with the Star Wars character!? He was glad that he had the PS3 edition, cuz his buddies complained on how cheap Yoda was for the Xbox 360 + you needed USD $5 to unlock Yoda on the PS3, man, was he pissed! I totally hated the character designs for IV and V, I thought SC I had the right balance. I am passing on V, and my bro is betting the game will go on clearance before autumn.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:03 pm

took me about 25 mins to beat SoulBlade...
jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Will be playing this month for sure, I have to fix my DIY DC arcade stick, as it decided to stop working a couple weeks ago. I have always been more of a fan of 2d fighters, and never got too into Soul Calibur or DOA, but I will give it a real chance this month.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm new to this, so I'm not sure of what the aim of the thread is. Do we simply play the game and offer feedback? I want to try and be active in the community, so I'm giving this a shot.
Flake

by Flake Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:19 pm

foxhound1022 wrote:I'm new to this, so I'm not sure of what the aim of the thread is. Do we simply play the game and offer feedback? I want to try and be active in the community, so I'm giving this a shot.

Play the game, games related to it, whatever you want - there is no wrong way. And then we use this thread to praise, complain, brag, and discuss.

Since Soul Calibur is a fighter, the discussion will probably die down much quicker than it does on months where the game is an RPG or something else more complex. One thing that Soul Calibur has in its favor is a very affordable online-capable sequel (SCIV) that is being actively played on Racketboy as well as a brand new sequel (SCV) which is looking to be popular as well.

Really, as long as you offer something to the conversation and are generally amiable, there is no wrong way to do this!
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 am

Soul Blade/Edge is awesome. It's actually the only Soul game I own, heh. It's a lot of fun with two people! It's not as refined as SC1 and 2 but it really is worth playing. Great character balance and everyone's moves are just a ton of fun to learn. Plus the moves are really hilarious...something about the way the ground shakes while you're stamping on your opponent's face. Story mode seems shorts, but if I remember right there are 5 (FIVE!!!) super secret characters to unlock.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
skyknight
128-bit

by skyknight Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 am

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:Soul Blade/Edge is awesome. It's actually the only Soul game I own, heh. It's a lot of fun with two people! It's not as refined as SC1 and 2 but it really is worth playing. Great character balance and everyone's moves are just a ton of fun to learn. Plus the moves are really hilarious...something about the way the ground shakes while you're stamping on your opponent's face. Story mode seems shorts, but if I remember right there are 5 (FIVE!!!) super secret characters to unlock.

True; but 3 are re-skins of the initial characters: Sophitia!, Sophitia!!, Siegfried!. You do unlock Soul Edge (p'w-up Cervantes) and Seong Han-myeong (Mingna's dad, Hwang's master -> Hwang with extra moves!)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 am

Flake wrote:Since Soul Calibur is a fighter, the discussion will probably die down much quicker than it does on months where the game is an RPG or something else more complex.

though we can post our times it took to beat each game. In that vein it's slightly similar to when we've played score-centric games like Galaga, etc.
Return to Together Retro