Together Retro: Super Monkey Ball

Join in on our classic gaming club!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Super Monkey Ball

Post by CRTGAMER »

I'm playing Super Monkey Ball Deluxe on the PS2.

Monkey Ball is a relentless game! My favorites are the long coaster rides going down the track. Luckily not every individual level has to be beaten, Jungle level 1-3 gave me troubles, I kept dropping down in the track then have to huff it back to the start pad.

I made it to the 3rd stage Water Themed Levels, and discovering new obstacles. On one level, there is a huge spinning top with only one entrance to the goal. I know where to wait at, just can't get thru the slot before the top reverses direction. The other nightmare level is the multiple bowls to cross. I always fall down the deeper dark blue one, an hour later "Okay, just one more time." :lol:

I also scoped out the Mini games, the Golf and Pool games are pretty good. Dare I say it? The Dogfight game reminds me of a very basic version of Dreamcast Propeller Arena. :D

CRTGAMER wrote:
dsheinem wrote:There's no rule that you MUST play the original, spin-offs are often included in TR forum discussion.
Just sequels or similar games of the genre?
This is a great policy, it brings awareness of other unknown games. I love to read not only the game at hand but references to similar games maybe as far back as Marble Madness. I played Mojo! on the PS2 and Vertigo on the Wii and am curious about the Kororinpa series.

Hatta wrote:I've got to figure out how to use my X-arcade trackball with this game. The thing is essentially a PS/2 mouse. It's not compatible with the console adaptors for the joystick unfortunately. Is there a PS2 controller adaptor that lets you use a PS/2 mouse as an analog stick?

I'd take gamecube or xbox too. Wonder if the Xbox port is controllable with a USB mouse? Maybe my best bet is to emulate the arcade? What emulators support this game?

Someone mention Alternate Controls?
Yes a Mouse, Trakball or even a Keyboard can be used on the consoles! There is the SmartJoy Frag PS/2 Mouse Keyboard Adaptor for PS2 and XBox and even a PS2 Mouse Nunchuck combo, the SpitFish EdgeFX. :D

TEKTORO wrote:I tried to play but for some reason, I get disorient while playing. I think its the tilt and pivoting.

Adding realism vs winning a level
I played PS2 Super Monkeyball Deluxe last night with a Spitfish Tilt Sensor. It snaps right on a standard PSX controller. The Tilt Sensor can work by itself or in tandem with the PS2 Analog stick. I found that tipping the controller adds a realistic feel in tilting the landscape, but the stick is best for a tighter control. Sometimes the Analog stick is too tight though, a corner can be taken too fast with the stick.

Use both at once
I tilt the controller to "drive" around the course, tipping as I veer around objects or edges. If I have to stop or turn sharp, I bump the stick for the quick change of direction. A combo of both helps in some levels, the stick alone is better in tight turn levels. 8)

PS2 Smart Joy Frag: viewtopic.php?p=400265#p400265

PS2 SplitFish Nunchuck Mouse: viewtopic.php?p=339754#p339754

The SplitFish Tiltsensor LEDs lightup to give a visual cue as you tip the controller. :mrgreen:
Attachments
PS2 Spitfish Tilt Sensor.jpg
PS2 Spitfish Tilt Sensor.jpg (191.98 KiB) Viewed 4038 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

CRTGAMER wrote:Maybe NEVERBALL? Also for the Mac and PC.

yes, Neverball was the one I was trying to think of that had been ported (homebrew) to the Dreamcast.

ANYWAY, how's everyone doing with their Monkey Balls? Personally, I'm far less compelled to play it than when we did Shining Force last month. I do enjoy Monkey Ball. But only in short bursts. It's not like I feel an itch to play it or anything. I'm also a bigger fan of the mini games like billiards etc than the actual game proper I feel like. Probably my big problem is that Monkey Ball is really a party game. I don't think it shines in 1-Player mode. My wife finds it more frustrating than fun, so...
incominggame
8-bit

Post by incominggame »

Well, I don't have the first super monkey ball, but I do have the second one on gamecube and I decided to play it tonight.

I started the story mode and stopped at the end of the fourth world. It's not a bad game, but I just feel there's something missing. I would love to have some incentives to play a level again like a ranking or trophy based on time/bananas collected. Please, tell me if there is actually something like that in the game and I missed it. Also maybe this will change later, but I feel the super monkey ball levels are pretty short, and it just takes luck or trial and error to succeed. I would prefer longer levels that relies more on skill and timing than luck. On the other hand, the level design is good with some great ideas. The level I stopped at is featuring a "giant insect" walking on top of a cylinder.

I played a couple of games in similar genre : Dewy's adventure and Marble Saga Kororinpa (both on wii). As of now, I prefer those two games to super monkey ball 2, mainly because they give trophy or ranking for each level. Also, the levels are longer in general and there is stuff to find and collect in levels. Both games include a level editor which is a plus even if I'm not really into that feature. Note that I have not beaten any of those game yet, so my opinion might change as I go further in each game.

Also someone mentionned the billiards minigame, so I tried it. It's really good.
My format: Gamer
To play and collect
Flake

Post by Flake »

I still have not found a copy. I am such a fraud.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Meh, I'm not digging it so far really. It's okay.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

incominggame wrote:Well, I don't have the first super monkey ball, but I do have the second one on gamecube and I decided to play it tonight.

I started the story mode and stopped at the end of the fourth world. It's not a bad game, but I just feel there's something missing. I would love to have some incentives to play a level again like a ranking or trophy based on time/bananas collected. Please, tell me if there is actually something like that in the game and I missed it. Also maybe this will change later, but I feel the super monkey ball levels are pretty short, and it just takes luck or trial and error to succeed. I would prefer longer levels that relies more on skill and timing than luck. On the other hand, the level design is good with some great ideas. The level I stopped at is featuring a "giant insect" walking on top of a cylinder.

I played a couple of games in similar genre : Dewy's adventure and Marble Saga Kororinpa (both on wii). As of now, I prefer those two games to super monkey ball 2, mainly because they give trophy or ranking for each level. Also, the levels are longer in general and there is stuff to find and collect in levels. Both games include a level editor which is a plus even if I'm not really into that feature. Note that I have not beaten any of those game yet, so my opinion might change as I go further in each game.

Also someone mentionned the billiards minigame, so I tried it. It's really good.

I'm stuck at the 4th "Whale" Levels too. The giant insect is murder. I try to avoid the feet while balancing and waiting for the goal to spin up. I had to get a breather and go back to Pikmin 2 for a while.

This game is addictive frustration at times. I know not every course has to be beaten to jump to the next level, all I need is one or two more to get to the 5th set of levels!

Maybe I'll try that Neverball game with a mouse on the iMac. :?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

I've spent (I won't say wasted) countless hours playing super monkey ball. Such an addictive game. I find that the first one is a bit more about precision (i.e. riding long skinny platforms) while the second one is a bit less devoted to that mechanic, but difficult nonetheless, and a bit more fun IMO. I've always wanted to play the first game on the NAOMI but I lack the analog controls and necessary I/O board.

I think I'll go play now, I haven't played the first one in years, though I played through expert and the expert bonus stages on super monkey ball 2 a couple days ago.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Wow CRT, you think the Ps2 stick is TOO sensitive? Most people find the ps2 stick isn't sensitive enough on that version.
incominggame
8-bit

Post by incominggame »

CRTGAMER wrote:
incominggame wrote:Well, I don't have the first super monkey ball, but I do have the second one on gamecube and I decided to play it tonight.

I'm stuck at the 4th "Whale" Levels too. The giant insect is murder. I try to avoid the feet while balancing and waiting for the goal to spin up. I had to get a breather and go back to Pikmin 2 for a while.

This game is addictive frustration at times. I know not every course has to be beaten to jump to the next level, all I need is one or two more to get to the 5th set of levels!

I beat the level this morning. The best way I found is to just wait and synchronize yourself to go through all cylinder in one shot and arrive at the last one at the same time than the goal.

For the bolded, it does not seem to be the case on the gamecube version. I believe I have to beat all 10 levels of each world to go to the next world.
My format: Gamer
To play and collect
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

incominggame wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:I'm stuck at the 4th "Whale" Levels too. The giant insect is murder. I try to avoid the feet while balancing and waiting for the goal to spin up. This game is addictive frustration at times. I know not every course has to be beaten to jump to the next level, all I need is one or two more to get to the 5th set of levels!

I beat the level this morning. The best way I found is to just wait and synchronize yourself to go through all cylinder in one shot and arrive at the last one at the same time than the goal.

For the bolded, it does not seem to be the case on the gamecube version. I believe I have to beat all 10 levels of each world to go to the next world.

Okay you just confirmed something I was wondering about. PS2 Super Monkey Ball Deluxe is both 1 and 2 of the Gamecube versions. I wondered why there was no Select to play 1 or 2, looks like the Levels are all mixed in? Each world has more then ten levels, not all levels have to be completed to jump to the next world.

Incentive to keep going, I'm curious about the level in the Quote below. Oh wait, this is the Adventure disc. There are some other games as well at the link that are teasing me for a revisit.
http://dangblastedcritic.blogspot.com/2 ... evels.html

Top 10 Least Favorite Video Game Levels
Moonhaven (Super Monkey Ball Adventure, PS2)

Most of the entries on this list are here because they’re shitty levels in an otherwise good game. Moonhaven, on the other hand, makes me weep in fury because it’s a great level languishing in a really, really awful game. Super Monkey Ball Adventure was a horrendously misguided attempt to turn a puzzle game into a platformer -- a buggy, frustrating mess where you spend about 95% of gameplay falling off things. Somewhere along the way, you encounter Moonhaven, a gorgeous and uniquely designed steampunk sky-city that deserved much better. Sadly, the lush visuals cannot be appreciated due to the most grating, horrific, awkward, infuriating gameplay I’ve ever slogged through. When you aren’t plunging into the blue abyss over and over, you’re trying in vain to figure out what you’re actually supposed to be DOING. JESUS IN HEAVEN, THIS GAME IS BAD. SO, SO, SO, SO BAD. Which makes the promise of Moonhaven all the more bitter. To my joy, it seems Bioshock 3 will be set in floating steampunk paradise, so Moonhaven will live on in a game that isn’t a flaming turd! Sort of.