Together Retro: Super Monkey Ball

Join in on our classic gaming club!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Super Monkey Ball

Post by dsheinem »

:lol: you just beat me to this. I know I've played Monkey Ball 2 on GCN and a lot of Banana Blitz on Wii, but never the original on GCN. I'll be looking into playing it as soon as I pick up a copy. I assume the portable titles are their own thing and not ports?

Anyone have one to sell?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote::lol: you just beat me to this. I know I've played Monkey Ball 2 on GCN and a lot of Banana Blitz on Wii, but never the original on GCN. I'll be looking into playing it as soon as I pick up a copy. I assume the portable titles are their own thing and not ports?

Anyone have one to sell?

as far as I know the portable games are all spin-offs, like Monkey Ball Adventure.

The original game is on GCN, and the PS2 version (Deluxe) is actually a combination of 1 and 2.

I'm playing it on PS2 now. I used to love the first game on GCN. When I was in college, I worked for the tech crew of my university and we used to hook up a GameCube to the school's movie theater and play it like that. Was badass.

I seem to have lost my skills though. In the past several years, I've really only used Monkey Ball as a means to play pool. That billiards mini-game is so fun.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Unfortunately, as I do not have the GC, I cannot participate in this months TR. I understand the point of this is to play games that you might have passed up years ago, but I thought the focus was games that were

- a bit older than 10 years
- multi-platform

At least next years list is Dreamcast and PC friendly and very multiplatform (for the most part) -- those I can do!

I would have done Shining Force, but sadly I joined here a bit too late (and aside from the Sega Smash Pack with the horrible audio from the DC version which is all I got!)
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Monkey Ball!!

What a crazy game. I might play this month if I can find a copy at a local shop somewhere.
I hope I find a copy. I didn't get to participate last month.

ExedExes wrote:- a bit older than 10 years
- multi-platform

Well, the last gaming generation is in a "limbo-stage" I guess you could say. You could pretty much consider it retro now.

Monkey Ball is on multiple systems.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

ExedExes wrote:Unfortunately, as I do not have the GC, I cannot participate in this months TR. I understand the point of this is to play games that you might have passed up years ago, but I thought the focus was games that were

- a bit older than 10 years
- multi-platform

At least next years list is Dreamcast and PC friendly and very multiplatform (for the most part) -- those I can do!

I would have done Shining Force, but sadly I joined here a bit too late (and aside from the Sega Smash Pack with the horrible audio from the DC version which is all I got!)

There's no rule that you MUST play the original, spin-offs are often included in TR forum discussion...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

@ExedExes: it is multi-platform. The original game is on GameCube, PS2, Xbox, iOS and even N-Gage. There are also spin-off's if you don't have any of those systems for GBA, PSP, NDS and Wii.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Just remembered I had this - it was originally a game my sister bought but I must have kept it with my lot. I have a minty PS2 version of the deluxe game. Going to hook this up!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:@ExedExes: it is multi-platform. The original game is on GameCube, PS2, Xbox, iOS and even N-Gage. There are also spin-off's if you don't have any of those systems for GBA, PSP, NDS and Wii.

That's what I get for looking it up on Wikipedia -- they only mentioned GC and iOS. :P

But still, I'm sooooo retro I don't even belong in the 6th or 7th gen of consoles -- you kids and your fancy Xs and PSs :lol:

GIT OFF MAH LAWN!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.